Gentle Leader or Halti & muzzle question.

Discussion of useful training and pet care tools.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Liz & Koa

Gentle Leader or Halti & muzzle question.

Post by Liz & Koa »

Hi all,

When Victoria uses the Halti and it is attached to the collar as well, where is the leash attached?

Also, does anyone have any input on a basket muzzle? I am in the process of desensitizing my dog with a fear aggression when people come to visit, but when he is ready to meet people, my trainer suggested I try a basket muzzle the first few times just in case he lunges.

Any thought would be great.

Thanks

Liz & Koa :D
Maxy24

Post by Maxy24 »

I think she uses two leaches or a double leash (coupler) so that (since it's usually the first time the dogs been on a head halter) if the dog flips out and gets out of the halter he's still attached to something.

I think a basket muzzle is great, make sure the dog can drink and take treats and that it is fitted properly. Take the time to desensitize the dog to the muzzle so it is not freaky and nerve racking when it gets put on. You may want to have him wear it just on regular walks a few times so that it does not always mean a training session is coming.

BUT make sure you try your hardest not to push the dog to the point where he has to bite, go nice and slow so the dog feels comfortable and just have the muzzle on for extra security.
Some awful trainers will stick a muzzle on the dog and then punish him or flood him (so if he's scared of strangers have one walk up and pet and touch him) and let the dog go absolutely crazy trying to attack because he's scared to death and defending himself until the dog realizes there is no hope and that the scary thing will just continue to attack him no matter what and give up. Then they say "he's trained" when in truth he's still scared out of his mind he just has no idea what to do about it, it really messes up the dog. I'm sure you are not but just make sure you don't do that.
Liz & Koa

Post by Liz & Koa »

Thanks for the input.

Once Koa is used to the muzzle I am only going to try it when he has a drag line on and he can come and go into the room as he feels comfortable with. That way if he wants to walk away from the person to regroup, he can.

I will keep you posted.

Liz
Gershep1

Post by Gershep1 »

One thing about basket muzzles --- try to find the "old style" open metal type rather than the more common (and more closed) leather type. They are a lot less scary for the dog, if they drool from anxiety and aggression it's not trapped in the muzzle, and breathing is easy.
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

I have a plastic basket muzzle for my Greyhound, never used it on him because he doesn't need it but it is what he was used to and came with one. I bought him a better muzzle from http://www.jansgifts.co.uk/list.php It tells you how to measure for a muzzle.

I would not be happy with trying to get a dog to accept people, I prefer for the dog to do his in his own time and have had quite a lot of success with dogs by this way.

I recommend that the dog has a safe place to go to, this is usually a crate but can be anywhere, I have known dogs safe place to be behind the sofa or other furniture. One dog was so bad that the crate was covered in the kitchen with the door towards the wall. People would walk in and out carrying on as normal and eventually the dog started to come out. This dog is still nervous of people, checks first when people come, then comes out to say hello. The owners had tried for over a year to de-sensitise him under th guidance of a behaviourist.
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
Liz & Koa

Post by Liz & Koa »

Hi Mattie,

I totally agree. I don't want to use the muzzle to get Koa to accept people, but when I think we are ready, I will put it on him for safety sake. I am so afraid he is going to lunge at someone, and he seems worse when he has a leash on or the Gentle Leader. I think me holding onto the leash also makes it worse.

First I am going to continue having a neighbor come over and have a gate up, I will be in the room with Koa and my husband can talk to the person, when Koa comes to me and is calm I will reward him. I am sure we will have to listen to a lot of barking, but I hope afer a while he will realize that being relaxed gets him good things.

I am in a pickle.

Thanks
Liz
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

TTouch may help him as well, possibly a body wrap on when someone comes. If you want instructions on doing TTouch, pm me your email address and I will send you some.
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]