Umbilical lead

Discussion of useful training and pet care tools.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

joji732

Umbilical lead

Post by joji732 »

Rusty is an ~2 1/2 year old Jack Russell mix. I got him from the shelter about 3 months ago - he ended up there because he was found running the streets as a stray. Potty training started out as a challenge because he was used to going whenever and wherever he wanted. We've come a long way from where we started, but we're not at 100% yet. I'm sure that the problems stem from my not always picking up on his signals. That said, I'm interested in setting him up with an umbilical lead so I can be more aware of what he is up to. I realize that an umbilical lead is a lead with a clip on both ends - one that attaches to the dog's collar or harness, and one that attaches to the owner's belt loop. I've seen such leads in a variety of different lengths - 6ft, 9ft - some that are used for tie outs as long as 30ft. My quesstion, then, is what is the appropriate length for an umbilical lead?
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

If I am teaching a dog, adult or pup to be clean in the house I don't wait for the signals, I take the dog out so I can see him go and praise him, lots and lots and lots of praise.

I take him outside as soon as he wakes up

I take him outside before and after he is fed

I take him outside after a play or training session.

For an adult dog I take him outside every hour, a pup every half hour.

It has to be on the hour, no waiting to you finish what you are doing, that is the way for your dog to fail because you are not being consistant.

The more consistant you are the quicker he will learn.

This is how I taught a 3 year old Greyhound who had lived in a kennel all his life apart from when he was abandoned and running free. It took me 2 days for him to be 95% clean in the house with just an odd accident.
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
Maxy24

Post by Maxy24 »

umbilical leads are great, you never miss any signs the dog has to go out if he's always in your sight. all that's important is that he's close enough so that you can see him. I was dog sitting and actually used a retractable (althuogh I hate them for outside) because depending on the room I could let him go different lengths. In the kitchen, which is wide open he had almost the whole run of the kitchen but in the living room he had to be close enough so that he did not go behind the coffe table.

Of course you can't clip that on your belt loop so it would become annoying if you were trying to accomplish something. i would just make sure the dog has enough room so that you don't trip and step on him but not so much that you guys get caught and tangled on everything.
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

My biggest problem with the umbilical leads is nervous dogs can get very upset when you go to get them outside to toilet because of our body language when we spot they are going to toilet in the house. By having a set timing for taking a dog outside, dogs pick up on this very quickly and even nervous dogs quickly pick up what is wanted.

Taking them outside at regular intervals sets the dog up to succeed a lot better than putting an umbilical lead on and having to watch the dog. It only takes a second and all the work is undone.
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

I'm with Mattie here (as I so often am :D ) I take the dog out before it gets to the stage of 'accident imminent'. I am house-training a puppy at the moment. Right now she is fast asleep, so I can move around without disturbing her. As soon as she wakes, we'll go out.

I've never used an umbilical lead but I would have thought the dog would get fed up with the constant movement of the owner - and it doesn't give the dog much peace either. I'm sure you will all put me right if I'm wrong.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Maxy24

Post by Maxy24 »

You don't use the lead instead of taking the dog out regularly, you do it in conjunction. You still take the dog out every hour or two but you also keep the dog near you so that if she still has to go (say you went outside, she peed and seemed all done, you stayed out a while and nothing happened so you went back in and she decided to walk into the bedroom and poop) you know about it. Sometimes you'll take a pup out and stay out there for a long time and the pup does nothing, he was out an hour ago and went so you figure he does not have to go right now, you bring him in and five minutes later he goes potty. He was in the other room so you did not see him pacing and sniffing around. The leash prevents that, you never miss the dog showing the signs he has to go, the dog never learns that she can be rewarded (with bladder relief) for going potty in the house.
That dog I was sitting for went out every two hours at five months old, I had her on the retractable in the house so she was always in the room with me. I took her off for about ten minutes and wasn't watching her and she piddled, she had gone out and peed a half hour before, if I had been watching her I would have noticed her sniffing around to pee.

She was never bothered by my moving, if she was asleep I'd let her lie, other than that I just got up, said, let's go! and we went to the next room. A really short leash might be difficult but the retractable gave us no problems.
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

You are the first person I have come across that will allow a dog so much room on the umbilicle lead, most are really close to them, 6ft leads are generally recommended.

Another reason why I prefer a dog to be free in the house I can work on other things as well like the recall, the sooner this is started the better so the dogs gets into the habit of coming when called. A dog on a shortish lead can't do this.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

I keep mine in the room I'm in. :) I can see where the freedom of the whole house would cause problems. I assume lead-users have open-plan houses?
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
joji732

Thanks for the replies

Post by joji732 »

Thank you very much for all your replies. As was mentioned by a previous poster, the umbilical lead would be in addition to regularly scheduled toileting times, not in place of them. I'm also hoping it will cut down on some of his attention-seeking behavior. I can leave him alone in the house, and nothing is torn up when I come home. But if I'm home and not paying attention to him, he will sneak off and steal something and parade it in front of me while he chews it to shreds. I have begun to limit his access to the house while I am out so that we don't have potty issues, but destructo dog only comes out when I am home.

Nettle - I don't know about anyone else, but yes, my living room, dining room and kitchen are all one open space with no way to confine the dog in the same room I am in. And even when we ARE in the same room, he likes to go behind a table and in other places where the line of sight is not all that open for me.
animallover

Re: Umbilical lead

Post by animallover »

joji732 wrote:Rusty is an ~2 1/2 year old Jack Russell mix. I got him from the shelter about 3 months ago - he ended up there because he was found running the streets as a stray. Potty training started out as a challenge because he was used to going whenever and wherever he wanted. We've come a long way from where we started, but we're not at 100% yet. I'm sure that the problems stem from my not always picking up on his signals. That said, I'm interested in setting him up with an umbilical lead so I can be more aware of what he is up to. I realize that an umbilical lead is a lead with a clip on both ends - one that attaches to the dog's collar or harness, and one that attaches to the owner's belt loop. I've seen such leads in a variety of different lengths - 6ft, 9ft - some that are used for tie outs as long as 30ft. My quesstion, then, is what is the appropriate length for an umbilical lead?
When ever you are home with him, I would take him out every hour. Gradually, you can increase the time. Even though my dog is fully potty trained at 3, we try to take her out every three hours.
AnimalLover

Jasmine - 3 years old - American Staffordshire Terrier
animallover

Re: Umbilical lead

Post by animallover »

joji732 wrote:Rusty is an ~2 1/2 year old Jack Russell mix. I got him from the shelter about 3 months ago - he ended up there because he was found running the streets as a stray. Potty training started out as a challenge because he was used to going whenever and wherever he wanted. We've come a long way from where we started, but we're not at 100% yet. I'm sure that the problems stem from my not always picking up on his signals. That said, I'm interested in setting him up with an umbilical lead so I can be more aware of what he is up to. I realize that an umbilical lead is a lead with a clip on both ends - one that attaches to the dog's collar or harness, and one that attaches to the owner's belt loop. I've seen such leads in a variety of different lengths - 6ft, 9ft - some that are used for tie outs as long as 30ft. My quesstion, then, is what is the appropriate length for an umbilical lead?
When ever you are home with him, I would take him out every hour. Gradually, you can increase the time. Even though my dog is fully potty trained at 3, we try to take her out every three hours. Also, probably the 6 ft. lead will work.
AnimalLover

Jasmine - 3 years old - American Staffordshire Terrier