24-hour harness

Discussion of useful training and pet care tools.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

JudyN

24-hour harness

Post by JudyN »

I've mentioned before my friend's severely traumatised rescue dog. Basically, she's had him for 8 months and she still can't get a collar on him so he can't be walked, and though she can stroke him, he doesn't enjoy it. Finally, she managed to get him to a vet in a crate... The vet, who is also a behaviourist, was actually in tears when she saw how traumatised he was :( He's desperately in need of having his claws trimmed, but she couldn't do them.The vet has warned my friend that they may well come to the point when euthanasia is the kindest option. (Personally I think it would have been more humane to do that in Romania rather than bring him over.)

Anyhoo - that's the background. At some point he may be darted to sedate him, at which time it would be possible to put a collar on him, but he's terribly collar shy so she'd prefer him to wear a harness. Can anyone recommend a really comfortable harness that a dog could wear reasonably safely the whole time? I know it's never going to be ideal, but if it eventually results in improvement in his quality of life it would be worth a degree of risk. Chances are if he ever is able to go for a walk he'd never be able to be let off lead when he might get it caught up on something anyway.

Also, though he feels safe in his large crate, that's too big to lift & fit in a car, but he's terrified of her smaller crate - even more since the vet visit - and she can't get him to go in there whatever she tries to tempt him with. I suggested putting the smaller crate inside the bigger one but the dimensions don't work. She'd prefer not to have to have him sedated so completely that he could be lifted into the crate, but that might be the only option. If anyone had any other ideas for how to transport him with a minimum of trauma I'd be very grateful :D

Thisis what happens when 'dog lovers' see a dog online and decide he needs to come to this country, so they raise funds to bring him over without planning what's going to happen when he gets here. My friend only agreed to have him for a few days because they begged her :evil:
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Shalista

Re: 24-hour harness

Post by Shalista »

bax has gone through periods of wearing his ttouch harness all day when we were potty training. never seemed to bother him despite his *cough* strenuous napping schedule. its pretty light weight to.
Baxter (AKA Bax, Chuckles, Chuckster) Rat Terrier, born 01/16/13
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Thanks Shalista :D
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

i would add though that he'd been wearing it for like long walks and stuff before he was forced to wear it all day so he was allready used to it.
Baxter (AKA Bax, Chuckles, Chuckster) Rat Terrier, born 01/16/13
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Yeah, that could be a problem - once it's on, it may have to stay on :(
Erica

Post by Erica »

I would go for something lightweight yeah. The TTouch is very nice. The Balance can be adjusted along the back, so that may help with fitting to avoid armpit sores if the dogis thin-furred and unused to harnesses.
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14