Advice about a shelter dog i'm adopting

Discussion of useful training and pet care tools.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Allorie

Advice about a shelter dog i'm adopting

Post by Allorie »

I am adopting and taking home a handsome male long haired Chihuahua named Lego. Any advice on getting him settled in his new environment and any general care and equipment tips would be a freat help. is companion will be my 35lb Brittnet/Lab mix Lady. She's a submissive female but full of energy. and he will also have 2 cats (which are used to dogs and play with lady) as companions.
Yoshi

Post by Yoshi »

First thing is to give everyone a proper introduction. Make sure they meet on neutral territory, like a neighbor's yard or even at the shelter. This way none of your current pets see him as a threat. Also, make sure to teach your current pets that it's ok for Lego to be around. Give attention and treats to your dog when he is around so that she associates him with good things.

Next, pick a spot where you would like to keep him. Giving him free run of the house at first is overwhelming and may stress him out. Put some of his favorite kinds of toys there and talk to him in a soothing voice.

As far as house training goes, he will be a little nervous at first, so make sure you have lots of time to take him out. Start with more frequent trips outside and gradually decrease them as he gains confidence. And don't forget to praise!

Give him some time alone as well, so he knows it's ok for him to be on his own in his new environment. When he is with the other pets, supervise all play and meal times.

Since he is a long-hair, it's very important to get him used to being groomed. Feed him treats as you let him sniff the pin brush, until you can comb him without him panicking. Some dogs are a little brush shy, so take your time and don't do anything he isn't comfortable with.

Another useful thing is to get him a crate. This will be his own little safe haven. Make sure he has enough room to stand up in it, but don't make it too big or else he will wee in it at night. Take the crate to your room at night and let him sleep in it. This will assure him that you aren't going to disappear, and will help prevent any chance of him developing separation anxiety. You can move it later as he gains more confidence.

There's my take on it, best of luck to you and your new little one! :D