Harness recommendations please- UK?

Discussion of useful training and pet care tools.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Sanna

Harness recommendations please- UK?

Post by Sanna »

Me again :D I need to get a new harness for Precious, and I'm really struggling.. Any UK members have suggestions for me?

I've looked for both Sure-fit and Sense-ation, but haven't been able to find a UK stockist?

I've also looked at the Mekuti, has anyone tried that? It's supposed to be used with a double-ended lead so not sure if it would work well with just a long line clipped to the front? https://mekuti.co.uk/harness_shop.htm

This is what I need:
Front attaching
Clip on (not a step in harness, must be easy to put on), no fidly buckles
Fairly sturdy, and adjustable (he's over 100lbs/ around 50kgs and still growing)
Soft belly band as he doesn't have much fur on his belly and armpits

Recommendations are very welcome :D

Also, I'm looking for a long lead (min 10m, pref 15m) that's rubber coated or similar? The one I have ( http://www.companyofanimals.co.uk/produ ... ecall-line ) is great in dry weather but gets really soaked, dirty and heavy in the rain; even more so as he's mainly trailing it.. No grip on it when it's wet neither. I did get a lighter nylon one that was flatter and wider, but the grip was terrible as its quite stiff.
I'd like a webbed one as it can't be too thin and flimsy due to his size, he rarely pulls or lunges but when he does his power is quite tremendous... Ideas?

Links/ websites would be a great help ;)
JudyN

Re: Harness recommendations please- UK?

Post by JudyN »

I've no personal experience, but I've seen several recommendations for the Perfect Fit harness: http://dog-games-shop.co.uk/perfect-fit ... og-harness You can buy the separate components separately to get the right fit, and I believe they're pretty good at replacing parts if you find you've got the wrong size (or if one bit gets chewed). If you scroll down the page you can see they do a front piece with attachment.

There's loads of clips, but you don't need to undo/do them all up, and can probably select which clips to use to fit which way you want to put it on.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Sanna

Post by Sanna »

Ooh I do like the look of that, what a fab idea! Thanks Judy, that's exactly the sort of harness I had in mind :D
Sanna

Post by Sanna »

Just ordered him one, v excited :D will let you know what it's like, thanks again! Can you find me a long lead now JudyMyNewPersonalShopper please? :lol:
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

I like a challenge, especially when I'm supposed to be working! :lol:

Not rubber, but rubberised stitching: http://canineconcepts.co.uk/en/loose-le ... lines.html

I hope the harness works!
Sanna

Post by Sanna »

That's funny, I was just looking at that exact one! It's def the best option so far, for grip it sounds great but I still wonder how much mud and water it'll soak up. And then I got distracted looking at this http://www.zoomadog.co.uk/shopexd.asp?id=114&bc=no- P has always been a hot-dog ( :P ) ever since he was tiny, never chooses to lie on his beds but prefers the floor and has to move when the floor warms up. He's getting calluses on his elbows already so I'd really like to find him a bed he'd be comfortable on (spoilt much? My Precious? Naah.. :lol: )
Seems like a great idea, but I do wonder of he'd just eat it..
Erica

Post by Erica »

My long line is supposed to be purple but the only time you see that is for about ten seconds after O and I finish playing in the creek. Then it's covered in dirt again. :D I've just learned to keep it in a plastic bag in the car and ignore the dirt. My hands get filthy on our creek walks anyway!
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
Ari_RR

Post by Ari_RR »

We have bright orange 50 ft leash.
When we are on trails, Ari often just trots along with the leash trailing behind him, and i need other humans (bikers, joggers, dog walkers etc) to easily see it on the ground.
When it gets dirty - I just wash it off with a hose.
I wear gloves (those light ones with no fingers) when operating the long leash.
Sanna

Post by Sanna »

Ari_RR wrote:We have bright orange 50 ft leash.
I wear gloves (those light ones with no fingers) when operating the long leash.
Sorry this just made me giggle.. Ari's dad- certified and fully equipped leash operator :lol:

I like the idea of a high vis lead. The gloves are a great idea too with a large powerful dog.

I really don't care about getting dirty, but the one I currently have retains all the water and mud so gets pretty heavy and unmanageable. It's probably cos its cotton webbing that just soaks everything up, nylon might be better I guess. Thanks guys :)
Sanna

Post by Sanna »

Judy- thank you soooo much for the harness suggestion! It arrived yesterday, and it's great :D Much better than the others I was looking at, easy to adjust and put on and seems very comfortable. I measured P and got the recommended size, it fits perfectly although he will probably need a bigger front piece in a few months time (neck like a bull :lol: ) but as they sell the pieces separately I can just replace it without having to get a whole new harness. It also gave me much more leverage and control when he decided to try and take off after a poodle girl that was teasing him this morning.. Big thumbs up to you :D
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Ah, I'm so glad it worked, Sanna - I'd have felt bad if it had been a load of rubbish :lol:
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Thank you both - I often recommend my clients get a harness for their dog but have never been able to recommend anything specific. :)
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
minkee

Post by minkee »

This seems relevant here :) I got this lead: http://www.ezydog.co.uk/zero-shock-leash/ for Breeze, and it's brilliant :D I got this one:

which is the slightly longer version. The springy bit realllly cuts down on any pulling or jerking if the dog shoots to the end of the lead, which he still does every now and then. No more feeling like your arm's been dislocated! And there's an extra 'handle' near the clip, so that if you're at the road or want close control you can grab the lead right there. Coupled with his front fastening harness it's brilliant, I really recommend it :)
minkee

Post by minkee »

Oh sorry for the huge image, whoops!