Crate training and wee wee pads

Discussion of useful training and pet care tools.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

kiadodie

Crate training and wee wee pads

Post by kiadodie »

I am getting my new puppy next week. She will be 11 weeks old. I want to start crate training her right away and to use the bathroom outside. I live in an apartment. I know she can't hold her bladder more than 3 hours (according to what I read) so when I crate her at night, should I cover the tray with wee wee pads in case she goes in there. I divided the crate so it is small enough for her to only sleep in so she won't use the bathroom on one side and sleep on the other. However, I'm just thinking she may have to use the bathroom in the middle of the night and if she can't helpl it at least the pads are under her. What do you guys think? Thanks! :?: :)
JudyN

Re: Crate training and wee wee pads

Post by JudyN »

Puppy pads are a bad idea as they encourage her to wee in the wrong place.

The best approach is for you to have her crate next to you in your bedroom - if you want her to sleep elsewhere eventually this is fine, you can move the crate out of your room later, when she's more settled (though equally it's fine for her to sleep in your bedroom permanently). Then take her out every few hours in the night, praise/treat her if she toilets, and pop her back in her crate. Also, take her out of she wakes and whines (it's best to assume for now that she does need to go out, even if she's not long been).

Of course, it makes sense to put some old newspapers covered with an old towel or similar in her crate just in case she does have an accident.

More info on toilet training here: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=6125

Good luck with your new pup! And welcome to the forum! :D
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
kiadodie

Post by kiadodie »

JudyN wrote:Puppy pads are a bad idea as they encourage her to wee in the wrong place.

The best approach is for you to have her crate next to you in your bedroom - if you want her to sleep elsewhere eventually this is fine, you can move the crate out of your room later, when she's more settled (though equally it's fine for her to sleep in your bedroom permanently). Then take her out every few hours in the night, praise/treat her if she toilets, and pop her back in her crate. Also, take her out of she wakes and whines (it's best to assume for now that she does need to go out, even if she's not long been).

Of course, it makes sense to put some old newspapers covered with an old towel or similar in her crate just in case she does have an accident.

More info on toilet training here: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=6125

Good luck with your new pup! And welcome to the forum! :D
Thank you! :D So that means I'll have to wake up in the middle of the night until she is how old?? :cry:
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

kiadodie wrote:Thank you! :D So that means I'll have to wake up in the middle of the night until she is how old?? :cry:
Well if she's anything like my dog, about 3.5 years :roll: But that's another story :lol: I'm not sure to be honest... some pups will go straight through the night right from the start, others take longer. Hopefully some other members can give you an idea of the norm.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

During the day 3 hours is far too long between bathroom breaks. She will need to go out every hour, as well as every time she wakes up, eats, plays or has something exciting happen eg meets a visitor.

Remember she is a baby dog :) that way it is easier to understand that she will have little bladder or bowel control and it is for you to take her out and anticipate her needs rather than expecting her to know when she needs to go out and therefore tell you.

It's hectic but the time passes much faster than with a baby human!

The norm - there is no norm. Like us, they develop at different rates. But I assure you that dedicated time at the beginning pays dividends ever after (apart from JudyN's Jasper, who is....unique :lol: )

We love puppy photos :wink:
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
kiadodie

Post by kiadodie »

Nettle wrote:During the day 3 hours is far too long between bathroom breaks. She will need to go out every hour, as well as every time she wakes up, eats, plays or has something exciting happen eg meets a visitor.

Remember she is a baby dog :) that way it is easier to understand that she will have little bladder or bowel control and it is for you to take her out and anticipate her needs rather than expecting her to know when she needs to go out and therefore tell you.

It's hectic but the time passes much faster than with a baby human!

The norm - there is no norm. Like us, they develop at different rates. But I assure you that dedicated time at the beginning pays dividends ever after (apart from JudyN's Jasper, who is....unique :lol: )

We love puppy photos :wink:

Thank you so much. She just got a shot at the vet so she is sort of gloomy. I'm trying to get her to use the bathroom outside but all she does is just look at me. Sigh.