snapping at other dogs

Discussion of useful training and pet care tools.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Kileygirl

snapping at other dogs

Post by Kileygirl »

We have a 2 year old girl named Kiley, we think shes a pit/boxer with maybe some rhodesian mixed in. She was found in the middle of the street at 4 months old when we took her in, her training history is that shes completed two puppy kindergarden classes and did amazing. She looooves to run with other dogs, basically if another dog is running after a ball or just running around she will chase it for fun. She's always been around other dogs at parks and shes been socialized the whole time we've had her. We've started noticing within the last 6 months or so she has been getting snappy at some dogs,there are no signs but at the dog park a random dog will come up to her acting very friendly and she will just snap and nip at them, put her hackles up and get a tad aggressive. Being that she has pit in her i dont want her to hurt another dog or scare someone so im looking for tips?? she's never hurt a dog its more of a warning really, but do you think she just needs some confidence boosting??
tylerthegiant

Re: snapping at other dogs

Post by tylerthegiant »

Well, here's my opinion and advise for what it's worth. I love all those breeds you mentioned, have a boxer myself, but these are breeds that are prone to being dog selective, meaning they are not like labs or goldens who love everyone and every other dog they see and often are choosy about the dogs they want to spend their time with. This of course is not true for all dogs of these breeds, however IMO there is nothing wrong with it either. If your dog can behave well around other dogs in situations where she needs to such as the vet, other dogs in the household or on walks that's all that should be required of her. Nobody ever said a dog has to be popular with all the neighborhood dogs. :wink: If you could forgo the dog park and set up playdates with dogs she responds well to that would be ideal. Just because you don't view the approaching dog as rude doesn't mean your girl doesn't. My boxer does not like high energy, in your face dogs no matter playful or submissive their body language is. I don't put him in situations where he has to interact with dogs he doesn't feel comfortable with. Since you're girl is reaching her sexual maturity I think what she expects from dogs she encounters has simply changed and that's okay in my book.
gwd

Re: snapping at other dogs

Post by gwd »

tylerthegiant wrote:My boxer does not like high energy, in your face dogs no matter playful or submissive their body language is.
neither of my dogs appreciate that style of play either. the big goofy labs that want to come up and get in their face are NOT appreciated, nor the wired, wound tight, labradoodles.......my springers both tend to do well with most of the herding breeds which don't tend to be as physical.......also setters, and other spaniels are generally well matched. they also do well with the working breeds as they tend to be more up for a polite hello and then move on to doing their own thing with their own people.