Long leads

Discussion of useful training and pet care tools.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

JudyN

Long leads

Post by JudyN »

After Jasper's game of puppy-bowling yesterday, I want to try him on a long lead, and could do with a few useful tips :D

He's tall, 33kg, and if on lead doesn't tend to lunge/pull hard (unless he sees someone who hands out gravy bones) - but if he should spot a deer and forget that he's attached to me could take off after it.

I know the lead will have to be attached to his harness - he has two, both back fastening.

Questions:

1) Best length lead, given that as a large dog he could do with a longer lead, but the longer the lead the more chance of tangles. I think the one we have is 30' but can be halved to 15', but then it's doubled up so more chance of tangles?

2) Any tips for avoiding the tangles, given that we often walk in woods?

3) Ways of making him remember he's attached to me?

4) Do you just let the lead drag in the mud when it's not taut, or keep it gathered to the appropriate length the whole time?

5) Ways to keep him entertained and more interested in me? He's not one who gets anything out of training to keep him occupied on walks (typical of his breed). The obvious game is 'find it'. I'm also thinking of running with him, which may be an appropriate response when he sees a potentially problematic dog.

6) Would it be safe for him to have a long trailing lead at times, given that there's a chance he could take off after deer/rabbits/someone with gravy bones in the distance? Is it likely to get caught on something, and could this cause damage when attached to his harness?

7) And maybe most important - what's the best training I can do to rehabilitate him so he learns a different behaviour around dogs? 90% of the dogs we meet he is absolutely fine with. The problems are young unneutered males who he gets very aggressive with even if they are completely ignoring him, and young/less confident dogs whom he knows he can bully.

I probably have more questions, but that's quite enough to be going on with! Do let me know if you can think of anything else that could be useful, though - thank you :D

ETA: Just to add to my confusion, someone on a lurcher forum has said that when they tried a long line for a similar problem, the tally over the course of about a year was 3 sprained wrists, 2 sprained knees and one cracked rib. All the person, not the dog...
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Ari_RR

Re: Long leads

Post by Ari_RR »

I walk Ari on 30 ft leash. Attached to the front of harness. When I attach it to the back - I loose directional control of the dog, but if to the front - I can "steer" him left or right.

I never let it drag, it's always rolled up. So as we are walking, the leash is always in action - either being extended if Ari is moving away from me, or being rolled up if he is waiting for me to catch up.

Having the dragging leash is probably what causes those injuries. If the long leash is loose and the dog goes after something, then the impact (when it happens) will be really strong. 30 ft is long enough for a large dog to gain a lot of momentum, and then - BAM!!! So - having the leash rolled up all the time will prevent the dog from gaining momentum.

"rolled up" doesn't mean tight or restricting. Just don't have 30 ft of leash laying on the ground if Jasper is right next to you.

You need both hands to operate long leash, so if you carry things with you - backpack or pockets or pouch, but keep hands free.

Wear gloves, since as you move through the woods you don't know what that leash touches on the ground.. On rainy days or if walking though wet lands it also gets wet.

I often drop it... If let's say I am on the trail, and Ari is moving parallel to me through bushes or trees.. Then when he gets on the trail again - I pick it up again. Otherwise I would have to either follow him through bushes, or restrict him to being on the trail only, neither choice is much fun.

If the leash gets caught on something and the dog gets stuck - well then I go in and free the leash up. No big deal.

Don't have your hand through the loop of the handle. You should be able to let it go in case he manages to gain speed running away from you, otherwise you may get hurt.

I'll keep thinking and perhaps add more. We'll be going on a long leash walk soon, I'll try to pay attention.. This action of constantly operating the leash is second nature to me now, I do it without even thinking, it's not difficult and kinda entertaining.
minkee

Post by minkee »

I don't really hold the lead at all. If it just drags behind it rarely gets caught on anything - it only gets tangled if we meet people and the puppy wants to circle round them. Other dogs just step out and over it, and it just trails over bushes etc for the most part. Occasionally he'll try and loop round a tree and get it stuck, but not often.

I will only pick up the lead when I think he could possibly run off to see something / someone I don't want him to see. At that point I'll pick up the lead and reel him / me in until we're at a nice under control length. Breeze tends to stand and watch for a while before deciding to launch himself, so I have a good opportunity to do this. I also try and distract him and most times that works. Once I have him at an appropriate length of lead we'll continue towards or away from whatever the 'thing' is as necessary.

I will stand on the end of the lead if quick action is needed - sometimes this needs a knot in the rope if we're on a beach for example or it'll just whizz through under my foot.

I just let it trail through the mud and muck, resign myself to having grubby hands (there are worse things in the world) and carry a canvas bag with me that is it's 'home' so I don't have to worry about it mucking up anything else. It goes in the wash if it gets really bad.

I have 2 - one shorter black flat one from Pets at Home (not 100% sure on the exact length) and one long orange ropey one - this one: http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/dogs/dog_ ... lead/98294
minkee

Post by minkee »

Oh, I wasn't finished! I meant to add: I use the orange one in the snow (the black one doesn't show up very well) and when I'm less sure he'll be okay. Otherwise it's the shorter black one, especially in woods etc.

Lately I've not been using one at all, because his recall has been SO good, but I'm on the lookout for the slightest hint of Kevining, and then it'll be going straight back on.
Ari_RR

Post by Ari_RR »

So an hour and a half in the nature park, on a long leash... It turns out, actually, that most of the time I do what Minkee does - let go off the leash and it just drags behind the dog. It almost never gets stuck, maybe twice or 3 times, and Ari is good in a sense that when the leash is stuck he just stops and waits for me to come over and fix it.

But also, knowing time and place helps... I know where and when I can expect people, dogs, or dog walkers and if I can't avoid that area I pick up the leash. Also good is that Ari too stops when he sees something of interest before approaching, so between me scanning surroundings and him we detect most of the potential encounters before they happen. Today we avoided a 10 dog dog walker.. He noticed them first, good boy, at a good distance, and we just moved in the opposite direction.

I would still suggest gloves. Not leather and fur winter gloves... old gym gloves with no fingers for example work better on warm days... if the dog moves through the woods with the long leash, there may well be dog poop on the ground that the leash is being dragged through, not something I want on my hands...

And the best thing for us is that Ari is not really into crazy running, his best case scenario is moving at a steady pace, stopping to sniff things or venturing left and right off the trail to sniff things, but it's a steady pace trot... (Unless there is a deer of course)

If I only could run through the woods, and keep up pace with him, instead of him having to slow himself down all the time because I walk, not run... That would make life much easier. Maybe this spring/summer I'll try running again (not a big fan of running)
Last edited by Ari_RR on Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
minkee

Post by minkee »

Ari_RR wrote:old gym gloves with no fingers for example work better on warm days.
I've been gloveless due to the constant training & hence treating of the puplet - finding some fingerless gloves that I don't mind getting grubby is a really good idea.
minkee

Post by minkee »

I suppose I think of the long line as more of a safety net than a long lead. It gives extra distance to the 'grab range' of the dog, rather than constant control.
Erica

Post by Erica »

I know I keep saying this but it really is true...if you have a smartphone and are motivated/interested in stories or zombies (honestly I couldn't give a darn about zombies before I got into it), Zombies, Run! can be a great motivator. In less than a year I went from struggling to run a couple hundred yards to being able to run three miles/5k quite easily. I was tired, sure, but I wasn't struggling for breath or in pain or about to fall over or anything. The 5k trainer is good too, and is what got me to be able to actually run decent distances. If you're not motivated by stories there are free 5k trainers, but I always end up hating the trainer if they're only a voice telling me what to do.

I prefer to keep the long line looped in my hands and drop loops as I need to...but maybe I'll get some cheap gloves and try letting it drag.

If you anticipate a lot of running into the end of the leash, I'd consider a bungee extension. They really soften sudden impacts and make it easier to hold onto the leash, at least for me. :)
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
OnceInAWeil

Post by OnceInAWeil »

I always let the long line drag, even in muddy areas. It's easy to rinse off. I just make sure to undo any tangles as they occur (most common one is looping around one of Tony's legs). I have taught him that "Easy" means that he is running out of line and better slow down. I attach it to the front of the harness because I have more control, but I have read that it's better to attach it to the back because if the dog builds up a lot of speed and hits the end of a line that's attached to the front, they'll get flipped over. I also go gloveless and just hold onto the loop handle at the end. This way I'm not getting a rope burn from line feeding through my fingers.
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Erica wrote:Zombies, Run! can be a great motivator. In less than a year I went from struggling to run a couple hundred yards to being able to run three miles/5k quite easily. I was tired, sure, but I wasn't struggling for breath or in pain or about to fall over or anything. The 5k trainer is good too, and is what got me to be able to actually run decent distances. If you're not motivated by stories there are free 5k trainers, but I always end up hating the trainer if they're only a voice telling me what to do.
I used to run, many years ago. Then I got a dodgy back, then I got fibromyalgia. My health has improved leaps and bounds since getting Jasper and I've been thinking of starting up again when the weather improves and I can wear trainers instead of boots. But I'm a little worried about upsetting my knees. They're fine at the moment, but when I had an MRI scan years ago I was told I had remarkably little wear for my age and I want to keep it that way :wink:

After today's experiment with a doubled-up long lead I'm thinking that a trailing 15' lead off his harness could be the best compromise, combined with me being less ready to give him the benefit of the doubt with approaching dogs, and picking it up whenever we see one. At least then even if he does bounce on another dog I can remove him immediately. He's generally happy to mooch close to me and doesn't object to being on the lead for short periods, but he got fed up with me having to untangle him from the long lead every few minutes!

Thanks all :D
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

minkee wrote:I have 2 - one shorter black flat one from Pets at Home (not 100% sure on the exact length) and one long orange ropey one - this one: http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/dogs/dog_ ... lead/98294
A brightly coloured one is a great idea - much easier to see (unless it's just been dragged through a muddy puddle, of course) :D Do you think that or the standard flat type would give better grip/reduce the chance of friction burn?

I assume they all come with hand loops - I'd be very tempted to cut them rather than risk them getting caught up on something.
Sanna

Post by Sanna »

I have a flat 10m one with no loop. Similar to a lunging line for horses, just a bit thinner. I think it's this one:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004 ... d_i=468294

It's pretty good for grip too ;)

I also have a thinner 20m rope one, which I use a lot cos I prefer something lighter, but the grip is nowhere near as good.
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

I'm so stoopid! I was just wondering which length/colour to buy when I realised that the one I have, when not doubled up, is 10m long :oops: So I can try it out not doubled up on his next walk as a trailing lead and see how we get on :D

But now it's Easter I'm hoping OH can take over walking duty for a bit...
doggiedad

Post by doggiedad »

teach your dog to heel (on and off leash) with distractions.
Ari_RR

Post by Ari_RR »

50 ft training leash arrived last week. Really long. Bright and visible. Very light. Awesome.