Help - princess dog

Discussion of useful training and pet care tools.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

lakota12

Help - princess dog

Post by lakota12 »

I recently moved in with my boyfriend, his teenage son and their 6year old lab. The dog is a princess. She barks whenever my boyfriend and I show affection to each other if she's not getting the attention she wants. When his ex comes over to pick up the son and the dog the dog goes absolutely insane with whining and barking. She also goes crazy at other dogs walking by the house. She does go after other dogs when you walk her. And last but not least, she thinks she owns the couch and will climb on whether you want to or not. I love dogs, I have had a few growing up, but this dog is vmisbehaved. Not being the owner of the dog (they share custody) and not being able to get everyone on the same page with the training, does anyone have suggestions on living with these issues? I know that it probably won't get any better. I have two cats that my friends are keeping because I'm afraid that if the dog didn't try to kill them she would at least terrorize them. I wouldn't mind getting another dog, but again worry that she would terrorize the dog. Yes, I knew about these issues (at least all but the reaction to the ex) before moving in. She (the dog) was getting better when my bf and I were working with her, but since the ex has been around (travels for job and wasn't around for a year) it's gotten ten times worse.
Ari_RR

Re: Help - princess dog

Post by Ari_RR »

My 2 cents - the dog doesn't really misbehave.. She behaves the way she's been taught. So there is no point in getting angry at the dog, this won't do any good for anyone, and will likely make situation still worse, because on top of everything else the dog may develop fear or distrust towards you, if you are angry with her for no reason (as far as she knows, the couch belongs to her, for example).

So, i'd say have a calm talk with boyfriend. If he is on board with changing her behavior and commits to investing time and effort to achieve that - come back, folks here can help with how to move forward... Its not as difficult as it may seem, and can be a lot of fun and doing something together... If he doesn't - then either accept him and the dog as she is, and adjust your expectations.... or not accept?
lakota12

Post by lakota12 »

Thank you...but Im not sure where you are getting that Ive ever gotten angry with the dog. Sure I'm not happy with the way she acts but I know it's how she has been raised. She's not a bad dog. Overall very loving
But with two owners who will not come together for training I am asking if anyone has any outside the box suggestions.
Ari_RR

Post by Ari_RR »

Sometimes I can't help getting angry at my dog, and he is the product of my own making... and then my sense of humor has to really work very hard :)

Maybe the teenager kid can help? Training a dog is a great hobby to have for a kid, but for this to work, all adults in the house need to be on the same page in order to help the kid succeed, which means the boyfriend needs to get on board too ??
lakota12

Post by lakota12 »

I do like that idea. He is taking more responsibility with the dog lately. Maybe the two of them can go to some classes. Thanks!!!