Dog carriers

Discussion of useful training and pet care tools.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

danabanana

Dog carriers

Post by danabanana »

Does such a thing exist?

Have recently moved and my room is the attic room which is accessed by half ladder/half stair kind of things.

Anyway - Teagan can't get up and down on her own, she has very quickly learned to sit at the top/bottom and wait for me to carry her up/down.

Just wondering if there was something that would make this easier for me - I have to do a couple of trips on a morning - one to carry dog down then I have to go back up to get towel/shower stuff or anything else I need, then same again carting it all back up.

Some kind of sling contraption would be fab as I would have my hands free.

Any ideas?
Ry

Post by Ry »

The attic huh? Not good. I don't think there is any sort of "sling" that's going to be suitable. Although, I think that it could be dangerous for your dog(based on the way you described the ladder), to be waiting at the top of the step/ladder. Does he have to be in your room with you?
danabanana

Post by danabanana »

Ry wrote:The attic huh? Not good. I don't think there is any sort of "sling" that's going to be suitable. Although, I think that it could be dangerous for your dog(based on the way you described the ladder), to be waiting at the top of the step/ladder. Does he have to be in your room with you?
At the top of the ladder there is a little...space - I can't think of any other word - where there is a clothes rail. There is a door to the bedroom so that is closed when she's in my room, she can't wander round to the ladder and fall down if that's what you mean?
Ry

Post by Ry »

Yes, I addressing the dogs safety. If she is safe, then no worries, but I don't think there are any sort of "slings" avaliable for the dog. Probably wouldn't be too good for them either.
thistledown

Post by thistledown »

how big is Teagan danabanana?

I can see your logic that it's safer to have 2 hands free and not carry a wriggly dog under your arm.

If you Google "Sling-go Pet Sling" and "Pet-a-Roo" or look on a website called Ultimate Animals you can see similar things to what you describe.

I've no experience of this type of thing so we'll have to wait for someone to come along and give it the thumbs up or thumbs down :wink:
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

I have a dog bag for Gracie because she has walking problems, I just put the bag over my shoulder. any bag will do, I know people who use duffle bags to carry their dogs in.
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
D

Post by D »

Ruff Wear do a harness that has a handle on for carrying dogs. I think it is suposed for older dogs who have problems standing up. I know it is comfy for them (as long as you arn;t carrying them to far. This will depend on the size of your dog, its going to be a bit difficult with a great dane.

http://www.scruffmacduff.co.uk/acatalog ... ESIGN.html
danabanana

Post by danabanana »

She's a beagle Thistledown, so not huge, but heavier than she looks and not tiny either!

Thanks for the links guys, will have a look.

Although if any bag will do as Mattie says I'll keep a holdall at the bottom of the ladder and pop her in there, see how it goes... she's not too bad actually, she knows she can't get up or down without me carrying her! But first thing on a morning when she's just woken up and is full of energy she can be very wriggly!
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

Why I got a proper dog bag instead of any bag, I can zip Gracie in and she can still have her head out. There is also a clip on a short lead to attach to her collar as well. The top is mesh so plenty of air getting in.
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
danabanana

Post by danabanana »

No worries guys I took her to fun show today and she won Best Puppy!!

Prize was a pack of Dentastix, a small rope toy and a dog bag!!!

woohoo!
Ocelot0411

Post by Ocelot0411 »

Ha ha!! That's handy. Well done Teagan. :lol:
katowaggytail

Post by katowaggytail »

I have this mental image!!!!...... :lol: