My 3 year old shih tzu won't stay in a house with other dogs

Discussion of useful training and pet care tools.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Ambermia

My 3 year old shih tzu won't stay in a house with other dogs

Post by Ambermia »

I have a gorgeous 3 1/2 year old shih tzu *****. When we go away she normally stays with a family friend who doesn't have any pets as she doesn't like been in a house with other pets. When friends visit with their dogs she runs away and goes upstairs and won't eat/drink and hardly sleep whilst the dogs are in the house. She is ok whilst running freely on the park, although she does still run away after she has chased them. We are going on holiday later in the year and the friend who has looked after her has since got a large breed dog so is unable to watch her. I have found a home from home family to look after her who come recommended but she has a small dog of her own and is looking after another dog at the same time as looking after mine. I just am a bit worried that my pooch will not eat and be unhappy whilst I am away. She will be going on visits to get to know them before she stays their, but am I best to find someone who has no other pets in the house? Help is much appreciated.
Erica

Re: My 3 year old shih tzu won't stay in a house with other dogs

Post by Erica »

I think, going off of your dogs behavior, that she is scared of other dogs. It would be best for her if you could find someone without pets to watch her, or have them come over to your house to take care of her (and leave their dogs at their house when they do so).
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14