Clicker Training Advise

Discussion of useful training and pet care tools.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

ClicketySnap

Clicker Training Advise

Post by ClicketySnap »

Hi all,

I seriously just heard about this Positively training method, and am absolutely blown away. I got my very first puppy (my family always had dogs, but we never had them in the house and never trained them from puppyhood) last February, and have since raised him using the pack-leader/dominance method with some clicker training thrown in during basic commands. It has been going fairly well (aside from the separation anxiety, dog aggression, selective hearing, etc.) but this past month his anxiety has gotten out of control. I am using today as a break, with no training or usual corrections of behaviour, and then will start fresh with the Positively training.

I haven't yet seen anything regarding clicker training in all the information I have watched/listened/read, so I was wondering if/how clicker training meshes with Positively training. My dog, Jax, responds better to tangible rewards (food, toys) than he does to verbal rewards, but clicker training with a pointer wand worked wonders when I started basic commands like sit, down, come, and leave it. Will I be able to continue with the clicker while using the Positively training method?
Erica

Re: Clicker Training Advise

Post by Erica »

Positively isn't a specific method with step 1, 2, 3, but rather is a way of thinking. :) The best way to sum it up is probably something like: Rather than saying "I want my dog to stop x," say "I want my dog to start y" and find a way to make the dog want to do that. Therefore, if we want the dog to "stop pulling on the leash," we'll think "I want my dog to walk with a loose leash" and figure out how to train that. We don't train with corrections, as dogs don't learn very well through them. Rewards are whatever the dog finds rewarding; for example, in loose-leash walking, moving forward is a reward for keeping the leash loose as most dogs who pull want to move forward. ;) Treats, toys, and playing are popular rewards.

Clicker training is a very very good way to train and fits in well with the ethos of this forum! It's great for building the bond between dog and human, and can help increase a dog's confidence. If you're looking for more tricks for clicker training, Kikopup and Zak George both have YouTube channels with great videos. :) Welcome, and I'm so glad you found us! Training in this way has very much improved my GSD's behavior, as compared to old-school training.
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
ClicketySnap

Post by ClicketySnap »

This is so wonderful to hear :) Jax loves the clicker and sits at attention as soon as I bring it out. Your analogy of Positively is perfect; I feel like I have a better grasp on the concept. It makes sense that rather than WATCHING for the bad behavior, we look for the good behavior in our dogs and encourage it wholeheartedly. I attended a seminar about this once; the lady was talking about women who have bad experiences with men. They go into a bar thinking "I don't ever want to date men who drink, smoke, and sleep around", and because they are unconsciously looking for those qualities, that is all they find.

Thank you for the suggestions about clicker training, I will go check out those youtube channels as soon as I am finished the Teacher's Pet videos!
Swanny1790

Post by Swanny1790 »

The term I use most often when describing how I train sled dogs is the acronym LIMA (least invasive, minimally aversive). There have been some really well-done scientific experiments that have shown that methods that make learning "fun" for dogs results in faster and more reliable results than aversive methods. The result is that the dog enjoys doing whatever behavior you train, rather than feels forced to do so our put out about it.

With 19 dogs in my kennel, all needing daily care and daily interactions I have to find the most efficient ways to train the behaviors I desire, and positive methods fits that bill. By thinking of ways to make the behavior I want easier for the dog to do, It's also easier and a lot more fun for me.

The clicker is just a tool, like any other tool. It's the science and philosophy behind the tool that is most important.
"Once infected with the mushing virus, there is no cure. There is only trail." - Sven Engholm