Calming Cap

Discussion of useful training and pet care tools.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

MPbandmom

Calming Cap

Post by MPbandmom »

I have just had a conversation with a trainer who mentioned this as a possible aid for Sirius. She also said that I could probably figure out how to make one and if so, could probably go into business with them as they are impossible to find.

I searched on here and found a picture of one and read some comments. I didn't see anything from anyone who had actually used one. I feel like it could potentially be beneficial to Sirius for those things she sees way off in the distance that I can either never figure out what she is staring at, or that turn out to be some person walking in their yard a block or more away. I am wondering if it would also help at closer distances, so that we could get closer to things before going over her threshold. I also wonder about getting her used to the idea of having something on her face. She has gotten reasonably accepting of having a harness put on over her head, and she takes the muzzle fairly well, with a bribery treat inside, so maybe she would tolerate having something put on over her eyes.

I will be doing other internet research and probably checking with Mattie, since I see she posted on the previous threads about the caloming cap. I am wondering if there is anyone on her now who has had first hand experience with them?
Grammy to Sky and Sirius, who came to live with me, stole my heart, and changed my life forever as I took over their care and learned how to be a dog owner.
MPbandmom

Re: Calming Cap

Post by MPbandmom »

Internet research has resulted in finding some how to put a calming cap on a dog and how to desensitize a dog to a calming cap videos. I have yet to find directions on how to make one. They look pretty basic though. Thundershirt company sells one for about $20. I am reasonably certain that I can make one for far less. Most of them seem to be a plain solid color fabric, but one of them was a cute doggie print, so I am having visions of decorative calming caps using fat quarters (fabric for quilt squares.) The ones for sale also seem to use velcro to attach to the collar, and I am leaning towards a narrow nylon strap and buckle set up. My reason being that I see this as needing to be washed with each use based on my experience with the halti head collars. I feel like the nylon strap and buckle set up would hold up better to repeaded washings and double coated dogs.

I plan on continuing to do some research and purchasing materials maybe next week. (So many things I want to make for the dogs, but I have to renew my Dog Scout membership and Van license plates first.)

I do look at the calming caps and think even made of cute fabric, how long will it be before someone sees one on one of my dogs and makes some comment about dog cruelty. So, I do have some mixed emotions about this project, but at the same time, I have been fighting the visual stimulation issues for so long now. I have used visual blocks not attached to the dogs and have seen how they can help. Sometimes, I just get so tired, and if there were a way to take the visual blocks with me so that everybody could relax and still have a great time out and about, I wouldn't have days like today when my body is screaming from having been subjected to the forces of an overly visually stimulated 50+ pound dog charging here and there with me desparately and frustratedly hanging onto her lead.
Grammy to Sky and Sirius, who came to live with me, stole my heart, and changed my life forever as I took over their care and learned how to be a dog owner.
MPbandmom

Post by MPbandmom »

More research and more study and I am more and more convinced that I do not want to use a Calming Cap on either of my dogs. I can't convince myself that the potential benefits are greater than the potential downsides. Downsides being having to desentize the dog to wear the cap, people making comments or approaching closely out of curiosity, covering the dogs eyes so that I am unable to see the emotional language that can be seen in a dog's eyes, and covering Sky's gorgeous blue eyes which just seems wrong. :lol:

While the reduced vision would likely stop Sirius from alerting to things at great distance, I have no desire to press her into getting close to things that she finds scary, so that potential benefit is negated. I was reading last night about how a dog is still able to see well enough to play fetch and I thought if that were the case, it wouldn't likely help curb any of Sky's chase drive that can be very irritating/scary for me.

Then I received word back from Mattie advising that calming caps should only be used under the supervision of an experienced and well qualified trainer/behaviorist. That if used improperly they can cause great emotional damage to the dog. That they have very limited usefulness in that they are only beneficial in specific situations, with specific personalities of dogs.

With that, my consideration of using a calming cap is ended. I wanted to post my conclusions here in case there is someone else who reads the first part, or hears about them and wonders if they would be good to use with their dog.
WufWuf

Post by WufWuf »

Thanks for posting your finding on this MPbandmom. It's pity Mattie doesn't feel able to post here anymore, I started lurking on this site only a few months before she left and I found her posts very interesting and informative.
Operant conditioning rocks but classical conditioning rules
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

MPbandmom wrote: Then I received word back from Mattie advising that calming caps should only be used under the supervision of an experienced and well qualified trainer/behaviorist. That if used improperly they can cause great emotional damage to the dog. That they have very limited usefulness in that they are only beneficial in specific situations, with specific personalities of dogs.
here is some more information
http://animalbehaviorassociates.com/blo ... lming-cap/

as for making and selling your own, might run into some patent, trademark etc issues.

I honestly don't know a lot about them. I know Trish King has a good reputation in the Positive Community. Without more info on the thoughts, ideas, implementation, I would suggest Mattie's advice be followed to the letter. I also suspect its a tool similar to medication, used to "buy" some openings to implement a behavior modification plan. BUT without knowing more, that is just a guess. BUT for sure, IF you do NOT know what makes a dog a good candidate, and are able to accurately read calm verse shutdown, or even signs of stress due to wearing a calming cap, I would not advise using it.
MPbandmom

Post by MPbandmom »

WufWuf, Mattie still lurks occasionally.
jacksdad wrote:here is some more information
http://animalbehaviorassociates.com/blo ... lming-cap/

as for making and selling your own, might run into some patent, trademark etc issues.
Thank you for including the link Jacksdad. That is one of a few write ups that I was able to find about the caps. Very few write ups that I was able to find about the caps.

The more I read about the caps, the more it seemed like my idea of making them out of fat quarters was not a functional one. Mattie was of this opinion as well. While the caps look solid from the outside, they are constructed of a stretchy mesh type fabric. I'm still kind of curious how they came up with one that was a cute print pattern. I was also unable to determine fully if the Premier cap is still made.

You make good points for others to keep in mind if they find themselves considering this product.