Most comfortable front-attaching harness?

Discussion of useful training and pet care tools.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

OnceInAWeil

Most comfortable front-attaching harness?

Post by OnceInAWeil »

I use a head collar in conjunction with a front-attaching harness for Tony. Currently we're using the Easy Walk, but I don't think it is comfortable for him. Every once in a while on our walks, and every time I take the harness off, he shakes like he is trying to get water off. It doesn't have the greatest fit, but I think it would still be uncomfortable for him if it fit perfectly. I feel like a front-attaching harness is necessary...he walks on a loose leash 99.9% of the time, but every once in a while a trigger will surprise us and he lunges. I realize that is what the head collar is for, but I am trying to get away from it and don't think I'll ever feel completely safe in a regular harness. Suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Ari_RR

Re: Most comfortable front-attaching harness?

Post by Ari_RR »

OnceInAWeil wrote:... but every once in a while a trigger will surprise us and he lunges. I realize that is what the head collar is for...
No, no.. This is not what head collar is for.. If he lunges, and the head collar is the point of impact, and you hold on really tight and don't let go - he can have a neck injury. That's why it's a good idea to have longer leash attached to head collar while shorter one to the harness..  In case of lunging, harness/chest should be the impact zone, not his neck.

I agree - EasyWalk is not super comfortable. I am currently using Premier Sure-Fit. It's not a front clip, so I had to rig it myself to have the ring on the front. It works, and it fits better, and I use the ring on the back to attach the beacon (blinking red light) when we are out in low visibility conditions.

https://www.premier.com/store/Products.aspx?cid=1&pid=8

Here is Ari wearing rigged Sure-Fit

And here he is in EasyWalk. Perhaps it's less comfortable for large dogs because it only has 1 strap going around the body and the one across the chest keeps sliding down, where Sure-Fit essentially has 2 across the body.. :?

I've seen some heavy-duty ones with 3 straps... But they seems a bit too much to me. I think they are more for hiking in Alaska.. Erica may have an expert opinion on those :wink:
Suzette

Post by Suzette »

Ari_RR wrote:I am currently using Premier Sure-Fit. It's not a front clip, so I had to rig it myself to have the ring on the front.
Hey Ari, could you tell me how you rigged the Sure-fit? My sister didn't like the Easy Walk so she got the Sure-Fit and like you, is using it as a front clip harness for her lab, but she just clips directly to the ring on the chest piece of the harness. It works well but while the dog doesn't seem to object in any way, it seems to me that the clip digs into his chest a bit this way. So I'd love to hear how you rigged yours for what is most likely a more comfortable fit when using this particular harness as a front clip harness. Thanks! :D
My avatar is Piper, my sweet Pembroke Corgi. b. 5/11/11
OnceInAWeil

Post by OnceInAWeil »

Ari_RR wrote: No, no.. This is not what head collar is for.. If he lunges, and the head collar is the point of impact, and you hold on really tight and don't let go - he can have a neck injury. That's why it's a good idea to have longer leash attached to head collar while shorter one to the harness..  In case of lunging, harness/chest should be the impact zone, not his neck.
Sorry, I was unclear. I use the head halter in conjunction with a harness, and the leash attached to the harness is shorter. I mean if he lunges and continues to go after something, if I cannot hold him back then I have the head collar there to switch to. The shorter leash is attached to the harness for the initial lunge, but often when he lunges it is not just one lunge and then it's over, it is a lunge and then he continues to try to get at the trigger.

Thanks for the harness suggestion.
Ari_RR

Post by Ari_RR »

Suzette wrote:So I'd love to hear how you rigged yours for what is most likely a more comfortable fit when using this particular harness as a front clip harness...
Ok... :lol:
OnceInAWeil

Post by OnceInAWeil »

LOL, nice Paint drawings! Did you just sew the loop on the end of the old harness piece?

I was thinking part of why the EWH is uncomfortable is that the straps essentially lay right over the shoulder.
MPbandmom

Post by MPbandmom »

The buckle is also in a bad place on the easy walk harness and can rub through the skin. Sirius developed quite a sore spot from the one I used on her.
Grammy to Sky and Sirius, who came to live with me, stole my heart, and changed my life forever as I took over their care and learned how to be a dog owner.
Ari_RR

Post by Ari_RR »

OnceInAWeil wrote:LOL, nice Paint drawings! Did you just sew the loop on the end of the old harness piece?
:lol: :lol: I thought a bit - how would I explain this verbally ? It came out very convoluted... So I took Minkee's approach to describing complicated things - just draw the damn thing ! :lol:

Nah, sewing anything would push me beyond my abilities.. I disassembled an old harness and there was a piece with the loop already.