Please recommend a kinder book!

Discussion of useful training and pet care tools.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

msminnamouse

Please recommend a kinder book!

Post by msminnamouse »

So I was all set to order 101 Dog Tricks: Step by Step Activities to Engage, Challenge, and Bond with Your Dog but then I read a review that it's actually quite harsh. Modeling, intimidation and corporal punishment. This is NOT the book for me. Is there a positive book with pictures and step-by-steps that covers a large amount of different tricks (beyond obedience and the usual) via luring, capturing and shaping only? No coercion, please!
JudyN

Re: Please recommend a kinder book!

Post by JudyN »

I was recommended that book by my positive-only behaviourist. I was astonished when I read it - I can only assume that she hadn't!

Have a look at Brain Games for Dogs by Claire Arrowsmith - it's a while since I looked at it but as far as I remember it's 100% positive. It also focuses on entertaining your dog as opposed to 'just tricks', and has suggestions for different types/ages of dogs.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Erica

Post by Erica »

It's not a book, but both Kikopup and Zak George do lots of step-by-step trick videos on YouTube. Here is Kikopup's channel; here is Zak George's. I don't know of any good trick books, though. :(

Have you tried teaching your dog sports? Not to compete, but just to have fun. Agility has a lot of components you can teach separately. If your dog isn't physically fit (for whatever reason - age, health, breed), you could do it in slow motion, and just step over bars instead of jumping. Treiball is pretty fun to teach too - here's a video of how to train it. I also wrote out the steps involved. You could also look at different Canine Freestyle videos to see what tricks look like fun to teach, then try to plan it out or come here and ask for ideas. :) A lot of the fun in training tricks, in my opinion, is figuring out how to get the dog to do what you want them to do!
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
Sabrina

Post by Sabrina »

kikopup's channel is great!
msminnamouse wrote: Is there a positive book with pictures and step-by-steps that covers a large amount of different tricks (beyond obedience and the usual) via luring, capturing and shaping only? No coercion, please!
I like 100 Ways to Train the Perfect Dog (Sarah Fisher and Marie Miller). It starts out v-e-r-y basic but builds on previous skills to do more advanced things (like putting toys back in a basket, carrying a basket with a handle, etc). If you preview it on amazon (http://www.amazon.com/100-Ways-Train-Th ... erfect+dog) you can look at the index to see what it covers. My small town local library had a copy of this, so it might be worth checking to see if a library in your area has it before buying it to see if it's too basic for you.
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

if you already have the book, just modify the directions to eliminate any aversive and/or objectionable training methods.

But if you don't have the book, kiko pup channel is a great free resource for trick ideas and how to train for them as well as many other training how to. the JustJesse channel is also a good channel for getting trick ideas. Heather only shows the end result though, she doesn't go into how she taught jesse to do all the tricks, but says she uses clicker and positive training only.