barking tools

Discussion of useful training and pet care tools.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

fearfuldog

barking tools

Post by fearfuldog »

how do you stop barking? when people approach the house my dog loves to bark. she is scared of people so she barks to keep them away
thanks
jacksdad

Re: barking tools

Post by jacksdad »

to start, you need to look at barking as a symptom and not the problem.

so you kind of have to figure what is triggering the barking and the emotional state that goes with it. is your dog barking due to fear. Or stress/anxiety. Or excitement...oh boy people, or is it a game.

in your case, I think your most likely cause is fear due to your other posted questions.

Can you elaborate on what is happening when your dog is indoors then starts to bark. for example...my dog is laying on the back of the couch, looking out the window, see's someone walk up to the front door, and starts barking.

from there we can offer some advice. But again, in your case, based on your posts, fear is the #1 likely cause. you don't want to use 99.9999% of the anti barking tools because they will just increase the fear/negative association with whatever it is your dog is barking about.
fearfuldog

Post by fearfuldog »

my dog will play or lie down and as soon as she hears someone, she will get up and bark and she will run to the next window to bark again as the person passes
dianne'sdobes

Post by dianne'sdobes »

When in the car my two young (2 & 3) dobes have started to bark like crazy at people walking, people on bikes, etc. It appears to be escalating over the past month. One will start to bark and then they seem to get into a frenzy. Is there anything I can do to stop this behavior? My eardrums are hurting :) and I'd hate to have to leave them home all the time. Thanks for any suggestions.
MPbandmom

Post by MPbandmom »

I'm not certain how large of a vehicle you have, but putting the dogs into crates so they can't see things going by is very effective. I do this with my dogs, but as my dogs are larger it means I drive them places in a big conversion van.

Victoria has worked with this problem using blackout curtains on the windows so that the dogs aren't able to see outside. After the dogs are quiet a while, she will open a bit of curtain. If they bark, the curtain goes closed again. Eventually the dogs realize they have to be quiet if they want to see out. This is a two person arrangement though. One person to drive and a second person to work the curtains.
Grammy to Sky and Sirius, who came to live with me, stole my heart, and changed my life forever as I took over their care and learned how to be a dog owner.