air locks in fences

Discussion of useful training and pet care tools.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

MPbandmom

air locks in fences

Post by MPbandmom »

I am having trouble with a dog charging the fence while being walked past my house when Sky is out in the yard. My husband refuses/is unable to put the dogs out into the back yard and close the gate to keep them out of the front yard. They are often outside for hours at a time. Sky loves to be outside, Sirius does not. He does monitor their behavior somewhat and will bring Sirius back inside if she seems to be having problems.

The DINOS facebook group happened to post an article/blog about fence running and fence agression, so I am thinking that perhaps an air lock would be a way to stop the other dog from smashing his face against our fence giving all appearances of wanting to kill Sky.

The existing fence is set back from the sidewalk maybe 2 feet as there is a little hill there. My ultimate goal is to have this area planted in a manner that does not require me to mow grass, but my initial attempt at digging up the ground pretty well failed. I have considered constructing wooden planting beds and just filling the hill in to level with dirt and planting in that. That would take a lot of dirt though and lumber, so that hasn't happened either. I am wondering if a decorative type garden/plant fence would be sufficient to keep this dog from charging through/over and up to the fence.

The existing fence is split rail backed by wire. Does anyone have any ideas for adding a boundry line along the sidewalk that would keep this dog away from the fence? All ideas are welcome, but I am working with a pretty much non existant budget at the moment, so maybe something very basic and low cost for a temporary basis until I can afford something more eye appealing and fancy.
Grammy to Sky and Sirius, who came to live with me, stole my heart, and changed my life forever as I took over their care and learned how to be a dog owner.
Ari_RR

Re: air locks in fences

Post by Ari_RR »

Perhaps you could get these 2 products at home depo, they are not very expensive

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R ... uctDisplay

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R ... uctDisplay

Hammer wooden stakes into the ground between sidewalks and your fence.
Staple wire netting to wooden stakes.
This will be flimsy and not very esthetically pleasing, but may be enough of a barrier to keep other dogs from banging their heads against your fence, for a little bit of time until you figure out the permanent solution.. :?:
Erica

Post by Erica »

When Opal had run of the entire garden area, she would fence-run with the next-door-neighbor's dog (even with thirty feet of no-man's-land between the fences :roll: ). She would trample anything in the way, as far as plants go. I can't think of anything that would stop a dog, besides a solid hedge kind of thing (or thorns, but depending on the dog that wouldn't work either)...though if you do end up planting something, you could put up something like this - just some posts holding up some mesh...since it isn't your primary fence and doesn't have to 100% keep a dog contained, it probably doesn't have to be quite as solid as your "real" fence. Then you can say that it's to keep the deer out. :P
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
gwd

Post by gwd »

[quote="MPbandmom] My husband refuses/is unable to put the dogs out into the back yard and close the gate to keep them out of the front yard. [/quote]
i know it's avoiding the issue, but what if you were to put a self closure hinge on the side gate so that your hubby doesn't have to deal with closing it to keep them out of the front.......just sayin'
MPbandmom

Post by MPbandmom »

gwd wrote:[quote="MPbandmom] My husband refuses/is unable to put the dogs out into the back yard and close the gate to keep them out of the front yard.
i know it's avoiding the issue, but what if you were to put a self closure hinge on the side gate so that your hubby doesn't have to deal with closing it to keep them out of the front.......just sayin'[/quote][/quote]

This would be a great idea if access to the back yard wasn't through the front yard. Unfortunately, getting the dogs into the back requires letting them out by the front door and then walking around to the side of the house where the gate is. Currently my husband is having some mobility issues and even before that, he didn't seem inclined to put them in the back and close the gate.

The rabbit fence looks intriguing Ari. I have something that I believe would work as posts, so all I would need would be the wire. Only time will tell how determined the dog is to smash his face against our fence and whether a small outer barrier will be a sufficient deterrent. I'm not really trying to stop the fence running as such by the outer fence line. I'm just trying to prevent the two of them from going muzzle to muzzle with just a little wire between them. Sky has been known to stick her mouth through the wire and bite and bend the wire strands. That was when she was frustrated about not being able to chase something that was outside of the fence. Grass sweepings or snow shovelings, not other dogs yet.
Grammy to Sky and Sirius, who came to live with me, stole my heart, and changed my life forever as I took over their care and learned how to be a dog owner.