What cleaners does Victoria recommend?

Discussion of useful training and pet care tools.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

GreenPastures

What cleaners does Victoria recommend?

Post by GreenPastures »

I have a major problem with pee and poop around the house (from cats and dogs both). Victoria has used a speical cleaner for the floors that removes the pet smell and leaves the room fresh and clean smelling.

What is this cleaner?
And will it work for other surfaces too, hard and soft? Or does Victoria recommend some other great products for upholstery, laundry, etc.?

Thanks so much! We LOVE to watch "It's Me or the Dog"! My son says he's learning about dog (and people) psychology and being entertained all at the same time. Can't wait for the next episode!
Blessings,
Ellen
Zane

Post by Zane »

Hi, this is my first post on any site!! I have struggled with the horrible smell of dog pee too. I have found a product at PetCo. that I feel works wonderfully. I have used every possible product I could find to rid my living room of "that smell". Try Nature's Miracle Dual Action Orange-Oxy Power. It is a little pricey, I pay about 30 USD for 1 gallon. I could have bought several thousand gallons for all of the money I have put into products that don't work! You just soak up the mess, then pour the liquid onto the spot. It contains natural enzymes that take care of the problem. You do have to let it dry naturally for it to work the best. I use it for other odor problems as well. I have a child that never seems to get to the bathroom when she is sick. I use it on the carpet for those accidents, I use it in my husbands van, which smells like "man"!! I spray it on my furniture and about anywhere else I have issues. I have even used it to wipe down my hardwood floors when I have had dog pee there. I don't know what Victoria uses, but this seems to work for me. Good luck
Yoshi

Post by Yoshi »

Zane, that's the same stuff we use at the shelter where I volunteer, if I'm not mistaken, and I agree - it's great! Last week I mopped up a rather messy kennel and put a new arrival in it shortly afterwards. I think the orange smell helped to relax her as well :wink:
Lis & Addy

Post by Lis & Addy »

Nature's Miracle, or Simple Solution--both very good. I tend to use Nature's Miracle, my sister uses Simple Solutio; we're both happy.

Lis
lukstruk

Post by lukstruk »

I am not sure about the Oxy stuff, but Nature's Miracle did not remove the urine stain under the black light for me on the carpet. It also did not deter future markings in the same area. Urine-off does what it says about removing the urine spot (under black light), but I would still like a good cleaner too (for sanitary reasons).

If Victoria can still tell us what she uses on her show, I would greatly appreciate it.
Susan
*$ CO Mom

Post by *$ CO Mom »

I, too, have had positive results with Nature's Miracle Dual Action Orange-Oxy Power. I tried other cleaners also, but I just happened to stumble upon this product during a family vacation. We were visiting my parents, who live out of state, and one of my dogs made a mess in their garage. I found this product at Petco, and it cleaned the mess as well as removed the horrible smell! :D
[color=brown][b]Erinna[/color][/b]
~*~*~*~*~*~*
[color=blue]Chester Orion[/color] -- [i]Small Black Lab Pointer[/i] [color=blue]Starbuck[/color] -- [i]COFFEE colored Shih Poo[/i]
Mollysmom

Post by Mollysmom »

We've always used Hydrogen Peroxide. Simple straight from the Pharmacy, It was recommended years ago by a gentleman who owned a carpet cleaning company in our area, he told us he's seen more carpet go bunk over people using "soapy" carpet cleaners. I believe that most of the "oxy-clean" type cleaners are along the same lines, however a bottle of H2O2 is much cheaper by far, and has more uses (blood stains in laundry, mouth rinse, fun science projects, etc.)
And to nose into the business of all the people asking for Victoria's brand... I've heard her say in more than one episode to use vinegar and/or bleach in cleaning up hard surfaces, anything ammonia based will smell too closely to urine. I swear on all that is holy I'm not trying to be mean but the forum "guidelines" state that Ms Stilwell can't always answer all posts, even those addressed to her, so please don't get cranky with us for trying to help in her absence!

<3
Kris
aka
Mollysmom
~* Proud Mommy of a Mix Breed *~
[url=http://www.myspace.com/mollymae2004]Molly's Myspace Page[/url]
"If your dog doesn't like someone you probably shouldn't either." - Unknown
*$ CO Mom

Post by *$ CO Mom »

I found a lot of info on the internet about the usefulness of vinegar when cleaning your pet's urine, etc., even their laundry (pet bedding). I'm nearly done with my current bottle of that Orange Oxy stuff...I believe I'll be trying out the vinegar next!! :)
[color=brown][b]Erinna[/color][/b]
~*~*~*~*~*~*
[color=blue]Chester Orion[/color] -- [i]Small Black Lab Pointer[/i] [color=blue]Starbuck[/color] -- [i]COFFEE colored Shih Poo[/i]
Mollysmom

Post by Mollysmom »

*$ CO Mom wrote:I found a lot of info on the internet about the usefulness of vinegar when cleaning your pet's urine, etc., even their laundry (pet bedding). I'm nearly done with my current bottle of that Orange Oxy stuff...I believe I'll be trying out the vinegar next!! :)
lol just don't make the same mistake I did on my wood floors and use Apple Cider Vinegar (its all the same right?) WRONG!
lol it was a nasty sticky stinky mess!
lessons learned I suppose!

(Be sure to double check that its White Distilled before moping :oops: )
~* Proud Mommy of a Mix Breed *~
[url=http://www.myspace.com/mollymae2004]Molly's Myspace Page[/url]
"If your dog doesn't like someone you probably shouldn't either." - Unknown
lukstruk

Post by lukstruk »

Sorry, I didn't mean to sound harsh, if any members of Victoria's staff knows what she is recommending on the show, would be of great help. It doesn't have to be Victoria herself. Maybe some of the people that had to clean up the messes in their own homes could respond as to what Victoria suggested to them.
Susan
KeiraMichelle

Petastic Cleaner

Post by KeiraMichelle »

Hi,

Me again - the new girl. Just wanted to add that Nature's Miracle is a really good brand. Another option is Petastic (I'm from Canada, not sure how widely available it is in the US?). Petastic is actually the original Nature's Miracle formula.

The company that originally made Nature's Miracle sold the brand name to another company, but kept their 'secret formula'. This secret formula is now available in a product called Petastic, and it works really well. (They also make a special formula just for cats).

Hope this helps!

KM :-)
lukstruk

Re: Petastic Cleaner

Post by lukstruk »

KeiraMichelle wrote:Hi,

Me again - the new girl. Just wanted to add that Nature's Miracle is a really good brand. Another option is Petastic (I'm from Canada, not sure how widely available it is in the US?). Petastic is actually the original Nature's Miracle formula.

The company that originally made Nature's Miracle sold the brand name to another company, but kept their 'secret formula'. This secret formula is now available in a product called Petastic, and it works really well. (They also make a special formula just for cats).

Hope this helps!

KM :-)
The only problem I have with Nature's Miracle is that it doesn't clean the urine stain under black light. On It's Me or The Dog, Victoria shows where the animal come back to pee even when it's not visible by the naked eye. Shine the black light on the areas and it's almost forensically spooky (when you really get to see where all the pee spots were that you didn't catch). This is why I am "begging" for information as to what Victoria recommends like she makes the people in her show use to clean up the "glow" part of the mess.

Is it Urine Off?????????? or ?????????????????????????
Susan
lukstruk

Post by lukstruk »

I guess you can't edit posts or add to them once you hit send. Here are some of the things I have tried:

Nature's Miracle (even the oxy orange one)

Vinegar straight and diluted with water

Odoban (very ineffective)

Spot Shot

All of the above does not remove any of the remaining glow from the urine.
Susan
KeiraMichelle

Hmm...

Post by KeiraMichelle »

Me again :-)

That's interesting. We rent UV lights to people trying to eliminate pee spots.

I don't know if it's the 'secret formula' or what, but we recommend Petastic to people and we've never had an unsatisfied customer (yet!). We've had a few people bring the Nature's Miracle back because it didn't work well enough (even the Oxy one) although it still remains our best-selling brand.

I wonder if trying the Petastic cleaner for cats might work? It's a more concentrated formula than the dog one.

KM
lukstruk

Post by lukstruk »

Thank you, it's worth a try!
Susan