Retractable leashes - beware

Discussion of useful training and pet care tools.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Ari_RR

Retractable leashes - beware

Post by Ari_RR »

Just something to keep in mind when using retractable leashes for decent size dogs... Or even for small ones.
http://news.consumerreports.org/safety/ ... -pets.html
Suzette

Re: Retractable leashes - beware

Post by Suzette »

I know they're mostly frowned upon here, but I do use a retractable leash for Piper. We changed months ago to the tape kind (versus the corded and much more dangerous type of retractable). With the tape retractable, the part that extends and retracts is more like a regular leash (just a bit thinner and not quite as wide as a standard leash). It still comes with its share of dangers, so we are always mindful and respectful of that, but it is important to understand the dangers and to know that this type of leash is not for every person, every dog or even every walking situation. And if you do use a retractable, the tape type is far better and safer.

Also, I'll add that several years ago there was a doctor at the barn where I boarded my horses at the time who had his career seriously affected by a standard leash. He had wrapped a standard leash around his hand while walking his dog. The dog bolted and it ripped and tore the tendons in his hand to he point where he could no longer perform surgery (he was a plastic surgeon pulling down about a million dollars a year with his practice). So another good tip is to make sure you don't wrap standard leashes around your hands. Sometimes, it's better to let go than to cause yourself serious injury.
My avatar is Piper, my sweet Pembroke Corgi. b. 5/11/11
Erica

Post by Erica »

Wrapping leashes is dangerous - very much agree with Suzette there - especially with big dogs or horses. One of my acquaintances at the barn I used to ride at broke her hand when a horse she was leading bolted, as the lead had been wrapped around her hand, and Zeus's owners have gotten badly scraped up because he they seem to think it's more secure to wrap a leash around one hand than hold it with both. I'll just say that the two times Zeus bolted with me I was able to let go before I got more than a tiny scrape, whereas his mom had bruises and bad scrapes all over her legs.

And yes, retractable leashes have their place - on calm dogs in places with lots of space and little traffic. On a city sidewalk, definitely not, or with a reactive dog, but Onyx, for example, did well on our (really quiet) neighborhood and forest walks with a retractable leash. It's really important to make sure they're in good shape though! And to read the warnings the companies include.
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
ladybug1802

Post by ladybug1802 »

I use my flexi lead on Dylan on his harness when out on walks if we are at a place he may run off after small furries or so that I can let him still run round but still have control...I really like my flexi lead. I dont think they should be used on streets or that sort of thing though....I do sometimes see pople walking along a pavement with their dog on a flexi lead which isnt locked short...just wandering along way ahead of the owner! I am also responsible when walking Dylan on it...I click it short when we pass people or dogs (mostly when there are dogs I am currently keeping him at a distance anyway)...what annoys me is people who keep the flexi lead long and the dog wanders round your legs, and then so does the lead!
jodieohdoh

Post by jodieohdoh »

Yes, beware. Re-learnt the lesson last night when Ruaraidh made an across-the-road dash towards another dog, the damned leash unlocked, and I tried to stop him by grabbing the cord.