Help!!

Discussion of useful training and pet care tools.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Rox+Cadbury

Help!!

Post by Rox+Cadbury »

Hi,
I have recently just re-homed a 6 year old chocolate lab and am having a few issues at the moment.. i have had a dog at my parents before but this is the first time me and my partner have had a dog together.
He keeps crying during the night, we have tried ignoring him but he keeps crying until we let him into our room. We have left him for a maximum of 2 hours before letting him in as im sure you can imagine none of us are getting a good nights sleep.
Finally he seems to be humping people that are about the same size as him, he doesnt do it to adults.. so at the moment were keeping him away from small people ..
Hope some one can help as im quite lost and not sure what to do..
All in all he is a lovely dog and is so friendly, just hope we can get his flaws sorted!!!

Thanks
Roxanne
Suzette

Re: Help!!

Post by Suzette »

I'm sure our experts here would love a detailed post about your dog. A rundown of his average day, his exercise and training routine, food, other animals in the house, how long you've had him, his history (should you know it) prior to bringing him into your home, etc.

But to me he simply sounds lonely and stressed. He finds comfort in being with you at night. Is there a reason why he can't be in the bedroom with you at night? Perhaps putting a nice dog bed on the floor beside the bed would be a great solution. The humping sounds like stress too, but I'll leave that to others to address who have more experience.
My avatar is Piper, my sweet Pembroke Corgi. b. 5/11/11
Rox+Cadbury

Post by Rox+Cadbury »

Hi Suzette,
Thanks this does help as what you've described 'he finds comfort in being with you' sounds so much like him all over.

Well his daily routine consists of
1 walk in the morning and 1 walk in the evening
1 bowl of food in the morning 1 bowl of food in the evening
We dont have any other animals in our home just him, me and my partner both work full time jobs 5 days a week from 9-5.
We are at home at the weekends with him. He is gluten intolorent, and has come from what seemed a loving home before us.
Apparently he didnt get on with the other dogs they had so they had to get rid of him. They did send him with a cage which they claimed that he 'liked' however we had the cage up for a good month and he didnt go near the thing (which im not suprised at seen as he is 6 years old!). After returning the cage to the previous owners we found out that they used this cage to keep him in for their convenience and not because he 'liked it'! He does have a big soft bed he loves very much and sleeps on there most of the time. We have only had him since february but it didnt take long for him to settle in.
Hope all this info helps to try and get something permanant sorted for all of us to make him as happy as possible in his new home :)
Ari_RR

Post by Ari_RR »

Small people are not only small, they can also be a bit hyper and unpredictable in their behavior. Keeping him away from small people for the time being sounds like a good idea, until there is a plan how to make him comfortable and at ease with them...
runlikethewind

Post by runlikethewind »

This would be better in the behaviour section.

It can take a while for a rescue dog to settle in. Could you have his bed in your bedroom?

If not, then do you know if he is happy being left alone in which case I think you should be looking at separation anxiety. Info here.

http://www.rspca-westhatch.co.uk/SeparationAnxiety.htm

re humping. This can be a sign of over excitement or stress. Don't correct him but just call him in a happy voice and redirect him to a toy or a game with you instead. In time, he shuold give this up, as long as he needs are being met overall.