Garbage cans

Discussion of useful training and pet care tools.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

GuruJen

Garbage cans

Post by GuruJen »

I have a 6 month old Cairn Terrier and he likes to steal from the garbage can in our kitchen. We don't have any where we can put it so he can't get to it. Any suggestions?
abbyneo

Re: Garbage cans

Post by abbyneo »

You may need to rethink finding a hiding spot for it, or set up baby gates so the dog can't get to it. Set them up for success and remove the temptation, if you can!

I could never leave a trash can out with my two (and a cat). It's easier and more rewarding for everyone if the temptation isn't even there.

But I'm sure some more experienced people will come along and give you some more tips.
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

I either empty the garbage before I leave for the day or to go out or I lock it in the bathroom.

for when your home, get a heavy metal garbage can with a lid. something like one of these http://www.simplehuman.com/products/tra ... proof.html

I have a JRT Chihuahua mix. he figured out how to get into every garbage can I could find. even the ones I am recommending. But it keeps him out while we are home but not looking. when we leave, like I said I empty or put the can in the bathroom.
wvvdiup1

Post by wvvdiup1 »

Why not put some weight in your garbage cans? Just put an object in the bottom of the garbage can, then put in your garbage bags. Just make sure that it isn't too heavy that if it falls over, it won't hurt the dog! :wink:
"Common sense is instinct. Enough of it is genius." -author unknown
GundogGuy

Post by GundogGuy »

You can't control the dog when you are not there to supervise but you CAN control the dogs environment...
"Oh what gold there is to find when one is blessed with an open mind" - me, not five minutes ago :-)
runlikethewind

Post by runlikethewind »

Maybe the house is open plan - that includes the bathroom ........;-p

Seriously though, most dogs would chance their luck on a bin with food smells coming from it, who is clever enough to knock the lid off or lift it up. Put the bin somewhere else.

Or train a nice positive 'leave it' if you see him investigating - you can only do this if you are there. You cannot blame the dog if he does not 'leave it' when you are not.
Suzette

Post by Suzette »

My sister had a similar situation with her labs. Her husband just went to the hardware store and bought a kit that allowed them to put a small garbage can in the cabinet under the countertop. The hardware lets the can slide in and out once you open the cabinet door. It doesn't take up much space, keeps it out of harms way (and out of sight) and it was very easy to install.

If you can't or don't want to do that, then I like the idea of something heavy in the bottom of the can so your dog can't tip it over and get intothe trash. Since you have a smaller breed, this should be an easy solution.
My avatar is Piper, my sweet Pembroke Corgi. b. 5/11/11
ladybug1802

Post by ladybug1802 »

I now never leave rubbish in the bin if I go out....I put it straight out into the big bin in the garden. I did put a brick in the bottom of the inside bin but if Dylan feels so inclined, he just manages to open the lid and pull the bag out and take it all onto his bed like a litle prize! :D

Sometimes, if there is rubbish in there, I just put it on the other side of thje baby gate away from him.