Seperation anxiety

Discussion of useful training and pet care tools.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

LindaGrace

Seperation anxiety

Post by LindaGrace »

Hello, I have a male terrier/mix who is about a year and a half old, he is a rescue doggie and since he has been adopted has really bonded with me, now we have a problem with separation anxiety. He either poops when I leave or cries and paces, he has also been destructive in the house, if I leave him in the kennel so he cannot get into trouble or end up hurting himself he spends the whole time I am gone breathing really hard and drooling all over the place. When he suspects I might be leaving he is instantly afraid I am going to put him in the kennel and either runs to my son or husband for protection and starts to shake pretty bad. He sometimes will also shake at night when it's bedtime and gets very nervous. I don't know what his background has been so I don't know what bad things have happened in his life. I am just trying to help him get through this feeling and help him realize he doesn't need to feel this way, I will always come back home. I have had him for 3 months and he has done so well in other problems we had. Like potty training and leash training. He is a very smart dog. Please help me help him. If you need to ask more questions so you can help me, please feel free to ask. Thank you so much. Linda
minkee

Re: Seperation anxiety

Post by minkee »

Hello Linda, you may have more luck copying this post and re-posting it in the Dog Training Advice section, as that is the busiest part of the forum. If you can include a run down of your dog's average day, what he's fed, and so on, that will also help people to be able to give you the best advice they can :)