Ball Oriented vs Ball Obsessed

Discussion of useful training and pet care tools.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

minkee

Ball Oriented vs Ball Obsessed

Post by minkee »

Scout's number one top unbeatable reward is her ball.

I'm often conflicted, sometimes feeling that she's SO focused on the ball that she never experiences anything else (there's a whole world out there to sniff, pup!), and sometimes feeling that if that's her most wanted thing, then it's great that I have such a high value reward to offer her. I never know how much to rely on it.

Other toys and food rewards work fine in most situations, but in places where there's a high level of distraction, nothing else will hold her attention like a ball. If someone ELSE has a ball, there is nothing that can make her walk past that unless she also has a ball of her own. She learned to SHOUT at other dogs with other balls at Flyball - which we only went to three times, I think, and it only manifested itself at the end of the second time. I really don't like the shouting - you don't know how other's will interpret it, and while she's shouting she's too far gone to listen to me. This NEVER usually happens, as I make sure I ALWAYS have a ball with me, as it really is the trump card. Today we went out and did other things without a ball (as detailed here: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=12948&start=225#p90963) but I wish I'd taken one as backup.

I feel a bit like a mum who's sticking her kids in front of the TV as it's the easiest way to keep them entertained. Should I be this reliant on a ball? I don't know. What do you think?
ClareMarsh

Re: Ball Oriented vs Ball Obsessed

Post by ClareMarsh »

I think that you're letting that one thing cloud the overall picture :D . Scout is an amazing pup from what I have read about her so far, I'm sure I've said to you I've shown Ted clips of Scout and said "look that's what we're working towards :D ". The day you described sounded great, you can put your dog into a stay whilst there are other dogs about and you are setting up and game and she WAITS! You do loads of things with her, running, scent work and she can do lots of tricks. So she loves to play ball, so what, you have a bullet proof way of getting her back to you and the ability to play a game with her that she LOVES. I'm still trying to work out Ted's favourite thing, it's currently a close call between fox poo rolling and running off with the washing, neither of which are helpful when it comes to recall :lol:

So your main problem is where to carry the ball when you're running (loads of runners equipment out there) and if someone else has a ball (you just need to keep scanning ahead when you're somewhere this is likely to happen and divert her attention/run away before she spots it, this will soon become second nature as people with reactive dogs or tiny little chis will tell you :D ).

As for
minkee wrote:I feel a bit like a mum who's sticking her kids in front of the TV as it's the easiest way to keep them entertained. Should I be this reliant on a ball? I don't know. What do you think?
you're hardly using the ball because you can't be bothered to entertain her, it's far from the only thing that you do with her, you're just using it to keep her safe and happy :D

Oh I feel like I've told you off now, which I didn't mean to do, I think Scouts fab and the ball obsession, well that's part of what makes her Scout isn't it :D
Proud owner of Ted and baby Ella
My blog about Ted http://tinkerwolf.com/
Ted's Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/Tinkerwolf
Ted's You Tube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/TheTedVids
minkee

Post by minkee »

Thanks Clare, that makes me feel much better! <3
bendog

Post by bendog »

Ben is very similar when it comes to balls, or especially squeaky toys, and food.

If I have a squeaky toy in my hand NOTHING will distract him from that.

I don't think its a bad thing if you are careful that she doesn't start guarding her ball from you and things. Ben has a tendency to be very reluctant about giving his ball back, even when I only want it back to throw for him again. I tend to let him carry his ball home rather than take it off him since he doesn't like me to take it. But unfortunatly, if I have a ball in my hand he will hang on my every command, but if the ball is in his mouth then he switches off and ignores me. I've solved this problem by taking TWO balls everywhere.
Sarah83

Post by Sarah83 »

You know, I would KILL to be in this "predicament" with Rupert :lol: If a ball will keep her attention regardless of what else is going on then use it! There is absolutely NOTHING to feel bad about imo. You're not a bad owner for using what works. I used to carry a toy all the time with Shadow. Most of the time it stayed in my pocket but if I needed his full attention on me for whatever reason out it came and we'd play. If another dog had a toy and Shadow didn't he'd steal their toy so I also used it in that situation. I don't see that as being lazy or wrong or whatever.
bendog

Post by bendog »

Ben is a renowned toy thief!
When I was dog sitting my cousins puppies he was quite nervous of them (understandably since they are border collie/German shepherd crosses and rather boisterous). So Ben spent most of his day upstairs or outside but it still didn't stop him sneaking into the living room whilst they were asleep and pinching a toy to take upstairs and play with on his own :lol:

And NEW toys are just the best thing ever.
minkee

Post by minkee »

Thank you everyone. You have all helped me put it into perspective! Scout is not a ball thief, but she IS an owner thief. The very first post I made here was about how she'd outwitted me by going off to other people, dropping her ball for them and looking irresistably cute. Inevitably they'd throw it, and she'd ignore the hell out of me. She still tries it on with nearly every pair of feet she comes across, but I ask people not to throw for her these days, unless it's a friend that's walking with us.

"Oh I KNOW you've got another dog, but I'm soooo much better at balls! Throw it for me! Go on! Just look at my face how can you resist?!"

Also, if all this means I just need to take 2 balls out with me, it just makes Clare's storage plan even more authentic ;)