What harness would be best?

Discussion of useful training and pet care tools.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Dan.

What harness would be best?

Post by Dan. »

Hiya,

I have been searching everywhere for a harness that would help stop my dog from pulling.
We have tried various other alternatives like the Halti head collar, the Halti head collar with halti no pull harness and double lead, various leads, collars and various training techniques all to no avail.

He is a very strong dog and has even luxated his patella from pulling so much (he walks on his hind legs whilst he pulls). This has obviously decreased his walks, which we are all feeling incredibly guilty about as it is not fair on him.

Does anyone know an effective and reliable harness that could help with this issue?

Many Thanks,

Dan.
dontpugme

Re: What harness would be best?

Post by dontpugme »

Sadly, there's no such device that will stop a dog from pulling. The only way is to train them how to walk nicely. You should check out this thread: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=858

Many on the forum have followed that method with HUGE amounts of success. :D
--dontpugme
Suzette

Re: What harness would be best?

Post by Suzette »

Yes, as your finding out the hard way, devices don't work all that well and even if they do, most don't work well for long.

Don'tPugMe gave you a great starting point for loose leash training. The method described in that link works very, very well for many people, but it's just one of several positive methods you can use to teach your dog to walk nicely on a loose leash.

I personally am having much more success with clicker training my puppy to walk nicely on the leash. (It's described on Karen Pryor's site http://www.clickertraining.com/ )

Ian Dunbar also has a method for loose leash training on his site http://www.dogstardaily.com/files/AFTER ... 0Puppy.pdf He calls it Red Light/Green Light and when you click on the link,go to page 125. I was just talking with a woman at my puppy class last week who said she used this method on her three year old GSD last year with very nice results.

So, it's just a matter of finding the method that works best for you and your dog. Good luck! :D
My avatar is Piper, my sweet Pembroke Corgi. b. 5/11/11