Honey's dream harness

Discussion of useful training and pet care tools.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

WufWuf

Honey's dream harness

Post by WufWuf »

Hiya All

I was hoping someone might be able to recommend a harness for my dog. (Honey JRT x chihuahua I think)

She quite small and seems to find all the usual harness's you get in shops here (Ireland) very uncomfortable around her legs. She doesn't have much hair in this area and they also seems to sit very low making moving her legs very difficult.

Usually the ones I can find here for tiny dogs are made of nylon and clip at the back. I'd really like a front clasp as if Honey falls behind she seems to get a terrible fright when the lead comes over her back.
I'd also love something made from a nice light soft material that wouldn't restrict her movement as she already has many fears and finds the world scary enough to make moving a very slow and gradual thing (Lot's of treats, scratches, massages and yes nonsense singing :oops: .)

She's come a very long way but I really worry about her little neck as she will some time stop dead or lunge forward and I can't always predict when this will happen as her issues are fairly wide ranging. I know I might be asking a bit too much but I've been lurking on this forum and I know that if this dream harness does exist you guys will know of it! :)

Honey is 10" high, 12" long and 15" around the chest.

If I've missed any relevant info to this problem I'm sorry, let me know and I'll fill in the blanks.

Wuf.
Operant conditioning rocks but classical conditioning rules
emmabeth

Re: Honey's dream harness

Post by emmabeth »

I think you will need to look online for harnesses designed for very small dogs - perhaps the kind that are also part of a vest/tshirt type garment rather than just a harness.

The alternative to this, is to have someone make one for you. Either someone who works with leather, or someone who can sew nylon wtih an industrial machine.
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
Liv

Post by Liv »

These are American, but I think sound like what you are after http://www.walkyourdogwithlove.com/shop.php
WufWuf

Post by WufWuf »

Thank you both for you replies.

I've been searching online for a few months on and off and just don't seem to be able to find the right combo.

Honey hates anything that touches her legs when she moves including coats in the winter. The closest thing I can find is the Hurtta harness however it clasps at the back as do the vest type harnesses. I've a limited budget due to long-term health problems and my husband was out of work for a long time due to the death of the celtic tiger, so I'm worried about buying another harness (I've bought 3 so far) that makes her feel uncomfortable. I'll keep thinking and looking around before I take the plunge :wink:

Thanks again for your time!

Wuf.
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

I also have a JRT X Chihuahua as well. What I use on him is the Walkeez Harness

here are a couple US places to purchase. I believe these come out of either Canada or UK, can't remember so if your in either of those countries should be too hard to get as well.

http://www.allpetnaturals.com/60-walkee ... rness.html
http://www.oregonpetsupply.com/x_harnesses.php

Here is some pictures of Jack in his harness, and he HATES wearing anything but seems to be ok with this

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=7243&p=53340&hilit=walkeez#p53340
ladybug1802

Post by ladybug1802 »

The Hurtta Y harness doesnt clasp at the back....it clasps at the side. I have one of them and they are great!
WufWuf

Post by WufWuf »

Thanks again to everyone for taking the time to help us out!

Jacksdad - that harness looks very much like one someone gave me when I first had Honey as it was too small for their dog. It's a snugglepets fleece harness in bright orange. I'm not quite sure if it fits her right although she's lost weight since then. I fished it out after I read your post and I'm working up to putting it on her. The first time it was put on her was in a very stressful enviorment and I want to try to make it a nice thing instead (this was before I learned to stand up for my girl).

Also I just wanted to add that your posts were the first I read on here as Honey's got very similer problems to Jack. It was such a relief to finally read someone who saw it the same way I did and to find that I wasn't being a wimp for avoiding dogs and other things that scared her for a few months to let us both cool down. I too found the other end of the leash to be a total godsend. Might I also add that Jack is a very handsome lucky little guy!

Ladybug - If the snugglepet harness doesn't work out the next thing I will try will be the Hurtta Y harness thanks for that!
footsieb

Post by footsieb »

A friend of ours had a chihuahua and had problems finding one that would fit. We live in a rural area with very few pet related places to buy from. One salesgirl suggested a feret harness. Worked great as they ared much skinnier than most small dogs.
WufWuf

Post by WufWuf »

Just an update on this. I've had to put using a harness on hold as it just seems to really stress Honey out. She already has many issues that we're working on and I just couldn't bring myself to add more stress right now.

I spent a few weeks letting her take treats out of the harness on the ground and the some time rubbing her with it (she's an affection addict) and then treating her for putting her head in. However once it came to actually putting the harness on she shut down and would not even take warmed up hot dog. This was in danger of damaging the trust we've built and she really needs to be able to trust me right now.

So what I've done is stepped up my efforts to build her confidence and I'm trying to be extra vigilent to things she might react to. She's also starting to ask for what she wants and I'm trying to fulfill the requests.

I know a harness would really be the best thing for her physically and I haven't given up hope that in the future she will be comfortable with one. The next few months will be stressful enough for her with the windy weather, darker evenings and the fire works that will go on till a few weeks after halloween.

I know I might be copping out but it just feels like the right thing to do. I will work on it on and off as her stress levels allow but for now it's on hold.
Erica

Post by Erica »

You're doing what's best for your dog. :) If I were in the same situation, I'd do the same thing. It's not worth scaring her to put a harness on.
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
WufWuf

Post by WufWuf »

Thanks Erica, I feel like i should've done better but I just can't figure this one out.
On a happier note i've been working on clicker training her for a few days now and this morning she actually offered me some behaviours to try and get a click. I was just so proud of her. I'm using "yes" as shes afraid of the clicker (any metal noises as she was "trained" using sound aversion, not by me).
I have to say it's amazing to see her respond to having a marker and her training is progressing much more quickly then I thought possible. She's very clever and I'd been having trouble keeping up with her as she loves to learn but not keen on doing things that she already knows how to do over and over. I'm hoping that I'll be able to keep her brain working a bit more if she keeps offering behaviours instead of me having to lure/reward train everything. Sorry i know it's off topic just got excited!
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

Have you thought about using bits of cloth/soft yarn to 'fake' various parts of a harness. Ie, drape a soft strap of cloth over her, click and reward for that, wrap a bit around her middle loosely, click and reward for that, and so on.

I think you have made the right choice, obviously she associates the feeling of the harness with something bad so its not the 'battle' to have right now, I am sure she thanks you for listening to her!
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
WufWuf

Post by WufWuf »

Thanks Emmabeth that's a great piece of advice. My mother gave me blanket for her granddaughter (Honey :oops: ) and it was tied up with soft ribbon - I'm going to start working with her little by little maybe try and make it a bit of a game?

Also she hates wearing her coat in winter - not as bad a harness. She loves being dried or rubbed with cloth/blankets so I was thinking if I just spend some time rubbing her with similar sized piece of material clicking treating and then work up to doing the same with her coat. I think I might need to do some counter conditioning to the sound of velcro as I think she might associate it with wearing a coat.
She's fine in all but the wettest/coldest weather so I think I have sometime to do this before she has to wear her coat to go out.

Bless her she had so many problems when she came to me that I've had to deal with the biggest issues first and so haven't felt it was the right time to work on the more minor things.

She's come such a long way that it seems like I need to iron out some of the little problems now in order for her quality of life to continue to improve. I'm wary of putting too much pressure on her as it seems to set her back in all other areas. I wonder if she might suffer from PTSD due to the trauma's she experienced in her past though maybe I'm anthropomorphising?