Seperation and Change

Discussion of useful training and pet care tools.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

lakesidefornow

Seperation and Change

Post by lakesidefornow »

I have a rescued beagle that is beginning to be destructive when I leave the house. He has done some chewing and shredded several rolls of toilet paper.
I think part of the problem is that I have totally changed my daily schedule. I am a teacher and am now on summer break. I have only had the dog since September and haven't had any problems with destruction from September until now. During the school year, I leave at the same time every morning and come home about the same time each evening. I also go to bed and wake up at the same time daily during the school day. However, now that I am on break, I come and go from the house at all different times and go to bed and wake up basically whenever I feel like it - ahhhh summer vacation!

I am concerned this change has started to cause or will cause anxiety and stress for my dog. He has a sad past including abuse and being abandoned in town by his previous owner.

Any suggestions on how I can help him to better cope with my inconsistent schedule for the next 8 weeks? Or am I just over-reacting?

I do have another dog who has survived two summer vacations with me and doesn't seem to be to disturbed by this change. I think she does prefer when I'm at work - she gets to sleep a lot more :)
Thanks!
Fundog

Re: Seperation and Change

Post by Fundog »

Can you take him with you sometimes on your outings? Or even on specially planned outings that are designed to include him?

Dogs most certainly do get stressed and anxious when our schedules and daily routines change, some more than others. And dogs with a shady past that includes abuse and abandonment are more predisposed to having anxiety issues when their new forever home becomes even the slightest bit out of order or chaotic.

Also, if you like classical music, some dogs like it and are soothed by it. You can institute a daily regimen of listening to classical music (watch and see if you can pick out his favorite composer-- yes, dogs can have favorites and preferences!). It can remain a soothing constant in his life, that will help him to know everything is right and good in his world. I also have a rescued (past abandonment) dog who enjoys Mozart. 8)
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
lakesidefornow

Re: Seperation and Change

Post by lakesidefornow »

I have only had him in the car on two occasions - the first when I brought him home from "the streets" and second when I took him to be neutered. Neither were positive experiences for either of us! I plan to work on trying to make going in the car a positive experience. When I leave I am usually going to town to run errands so he could for sure ride along. However, I live in the Midwest so right now it is too hot to leave him in the car. This might be training for the fall.

In regards to music, that sounds like a great idea! I teach elementary school and play classical music throughout the day and it works to keep children calm. I never thought about trying it on my four legged children.

Thanks for the ideas :)