Treat Bag suggestions

Discussion of useful training and pet care tools.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

anniegirl

Treat Bag suggestions

Post by anniegirl »

I am actively training my dog who is extremely food motivated. As such I like to have treats with us wherever we go. Does anyone have any suggestion for treat bags that are easy to get into but don't let the food fall out every time I lean over/down?
Also, suggestions for the best way to carry wet treats, like chicken?
jakesmom

Re: Treat Bag suggestions

Post by jakesmom »

Hi anniegirl

I believe that you can buy special treat bags that go round your waist like a belt, haven't got a link I'm afraid.

Personnally I put dry treats in my coat pocket, and for wet treats you could try threading an unscented pooper scoop bag through your belt. Cheap and easy and no need to clean out afterwards.
dontpugme

Post by dontpugme »

--dontpugme
easilyconfused

Post by easilyconfused »

I use an old rock climbing chalk bag. They are water proofed so no mess when its full of lumps of meat and cheese :)
MPbandmom

Post by MPbandmom »

I use the canvas two pocket tool belts/apron from the local hardware stores which are under a dollar. I have one from each store now as I somehow managed to leave the one I had at home when I went on vacation even though I very carefully made sure it would be with my stuff. :oops:

For the one, I sewed a dart in the back of one of the pockets to make it stay open a little better, and then hooked a basic treat bag from Petsmart into the pocket. I tend to wear my shirt tails loose, so something that clips on a belt which would then end up under my shirt is worthless. I also found that the clips weren't very secure and the bags would pop off when I bent over to do a clean up. The pocket apron has solved that problem. For wet treats, I have them in a plastic baggie and then keep a few treats at a time in my hand ready for quick dispensing. (Kind of cold though when the wet treats are frozen :lol: ) Of course the canvas tool aprons are machine washable, so the plastic baggie might be optional.
Grammy to Sky and Sirius, who came to live with me, stole my heart, and changed my life forever as I took over their care and learned how to be a dog owner.
ladybug1802

Post by ladybug1802 »

I have the Hurtta Pro Professional Treat Bag:-

http://www.hurttacollection.com/pro_training

Its big, has compartments for phone etc and is nice and big so I can put treats, toy, keys etc in it. It closes and opens really easily and stays put really well. I used to have a simple treat bag but it kept falling off my trousers when I bent over, and was too small so I ended up having to carry toy, keys etc or stiff them in my trouser pockets!
dodge-white boxer

Post by dodge-white boxer »

I use a bumbag,I must look like a tourist (without the camera and binoculars round my neck) but its got six compartments,phone,keys,poop bags,money,clicker,dry treats and wet treats in a plastic bag fit in there nicely,and a smaller treatbag ("dog on tour")attached to the bumbag to carry full poop bags,which helps which with not having to smell the poo every two minutes when the wind changes :lol: )
anniegirl

Post by anniegirl »

Thanks for all of the suggestions! I went with the Outward Hound bag b/c I like the way it lays flat and closes easily.
It''s working quite well.
dontpugme

Post by dontpugme »

Glad you're happy with it. I probably should get one......at the moment, I tape a plastic baggie to my shirt..... :lol: :lol: :lol:
--dontpugme
OHenry

Post by OHenry »

I have four or five different treat bags but always still wind up with just a handful of treats in my pocket.
OHenry

Post by OHenry »

I have four or five different treat bags but always still wind up with just a handful of treats in my pocket.
foxer

Post by foxer »

I vote also for hurtta as did ladybug. I've smaller junior version. My keys an celly do fit there pretty well. Oh, how many clothes I've ruined stashing them with greasy snacks!
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

I go for the climbers chalk bags - i like a bag that stays open as I can be quite fumbly with my fingers... and I already had one from back in the day when I still could haul my a** up a rock face! (I can't now but I can still steal chalk bags from my sister who seems to have to buy one every other week cos they HAVE to be 'cool colours' :lol:)
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
runlikethewind

Post by runlikethewind »

Both trainers said the bumbag (fannybag... just had to get that one in for Friday afternoon ok?) I use is as major cue now to working (and behaving if you like). Thus I have purchased a safari gilet with multiple large pockets so the dogs never know where the treat is coming from and it's like a regular jacket so it looks more acceptable out and about! However, I could only get a man's small and it's too large, so having to send it back and keep on looking.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

I wear a falconry waistcoat - loads and loads of pockets, all wipe-clean, and designed to carry bird of prey titbits which are pretty yucky.

(whispers) best of all I can carry three rabbits in the back pockets :lol:
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS