What is the purpose of crating?

Discussion of useful training and pet care tools.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

opus

What is the purpose of crating?

Post by opus »

My roommate just got a 3-year-old beagle today for her children that's been in a shelter for awhile now, and I'm now sitting here at 1:30 AM, my time, listening to him howl his head off because she's shoved him into a crate. I think he only wants some human contact. She finally moved him into her room, but that's where he's doing the most howling.

Why do people use these things?

Thanks,
Opus
GundogGuy

Re: What is the purpose of crating?

Post by GundogGuy »

Crates are great tools if used correctly to keep puppies and dogs safe from the environment and to give them somewhere quiet to go where they feel secure. The crate is a brilliant aid for house training and to control destructive chewing in pups but if they are not introduced correctly to the dog then they can become a nightmare for the dog who then becomes a nightmare for the owner or whoever else is in the area...

Why this particular dog needs crating at 3 years old is unknown but Beagles are very vocal dogs at the best of times. If it is suffering from separation anxiety then it will most likely vent this via howling but... Beagles howl a lot anyway :)

Used properly, crates are great, not used properly = nightmare...
"Oh what gold there is to find when one is blessed with an open mind" - me, not five minutes ago :-)
ladybug1802

Post by ladybug1802 »

Yeah...what he said!!

I personally dont shut Dylan in his crate much at all....and only use it as an extra sleeping place for him to go if he wants (which he does - a lot - as he sees it as his safe place and is all cosy and covered over), or to have him go in when people come to the house initially as he gets very stressed with people coming in and is liable to bite. So he goes in and when people are in and settled, and he is calm, he comes out again.

But like Gundogguy said, if not used properly they are not good. The dog should never just be shut in there without spending a lot of time getting it used to the crate and to see it as a safe place and not a punishment place.

If you are at home, why is the dog still in his crate? Has your roommate spent time training the dog to see the crate as a nice safe place\?
opus

Post by opus »

ladybug1802 wrote:Yeah...what he said!!

If you are at home, why is the dog still in his crate? Has your roommate spent time training the dog to see the crate as a nice safe place\?
Trying this again.

From my OP:

My roommate just got a 3-year-old beagle today

They just went to bed and put him in there without getting him used to it. I don't live in her room. (!) So why would it be my responsibility to watch him once they go to sleep? :?: I live in my own part of the house with my cats, and my illnesses preclude me from having a dog. It wouldn't be fair to them. There's a reason I have cats.

This is the same lady who had the issues with the husky/shepard mix (we finally found a great, loving home for him the week of Thanksgiving), but because this dog is more chill than the other one, I guess she thinks she's not going to have behavioural problems.

Personally, I think she should be banned from owning a dog. I ended up having to take care of the last one when she wasn't here. Luckily, this is only a two-week trial, so I'm hoping for the sake of the dog that she gives him back, and I DETEST that--animals are NOT disposable. But given a shelter, or living with this idiot, I'm pushing for the shelter.

He finally settled about an hour-and-a-half after I sent my OP. 'Twas a long night....
ladybug1802

Post by ladybug1802 »

Oh I am so sorry - I must have read it too quick! I didnt read she had got him today - oops! That'll teach me to read quickly inbetween supposedly working!

Poor dog - if she has just got him today it is sad that she has just shut him in the crate like that - that isnt how crates should be used.
opus

Post by opus »

ladybug1802 wrote:Oh I am so sorry - I must have read it too quick! I didnt read she had got him today - oops! That'll teach me to read quickly inbetween supposedly working!

Poor dog - if she has just got him today it is sad that she has just shut him in the crate like that - that isnt how crates should be used.
I didn't think so, either, but this is the second time I've seen some lazy woman simply shut her Beagle into a crate because she's too da*ned lazy to actually love and teach him.

I sent her an article on crating from the Humane Society of the US last night that clearly says you're not supposed to just throw them in it--hopefully once she reads it, it'll sink in. For someone who calls herself so smart, she's pretty stupid when it comes to pets. :x
HoustonRufus

Post by HoustonRufus »

I have a question regarding crating methods. I brought home a 5 month old English setter Saturday. He is actually doing great--wonderful dog, smart and keen to do anything I tell him. He had a few accidents that first day, but has been doing well since. I'm just worried I'm making things harder. Today was the first day for me to go to work and leave him in his crate. I've been a nervous wreck all day. I went home at lunch for his midday feeding and to let him go the bathroom, which he did like a champ. He drank a lot of water at lunch today. His breeder told me to leave small amount in his crate when I leave, which I've done. Should I limit his water intake midday? He hasn't had any accidents in his crate and his breeder started crate training a while back. So he gets the drill. But he drinks so much water at lunch when I let him out of his crate, I'm just wondering if that is all necessary. I pick up his water at 9 per instructions from his breeder and then obviously take him out a couple more times before I go to bed around 11.

Thanks for any advice!! I just want him to be happy and don't want to make things harder for him.
ladybug1802

Post by ladybug1802 »

It is probably better if you start a new thread so this isnt missed! But what iw ould say is you should never ever restrict water....it can cause health problems. He is probably drinking a lot of water when you let him o0ut becauise he is so thirsty....so always leave him with access to clean fresh water. I am surprised the breeder told you to take water up actually.