Please help i have a few problem with new pup and need help

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

deedee1982

Please help i have a few problem with new pup and need help

Post by deedee1982 »

hi i have a 9/10 wk old boxer pup and she is a handfull which i know they all are as we have had boxers before but she is the first girl dog we have had, problems are, she wee's and poo's all over whenever she wants and wont go to the door even though we have tried to train her too second problem, she keeps nipping my baby, like she jumps on her back and bites her arm, i know its only playful but i want to put a stop to it before she gets any older and thinks its ok, third problem, she chews EVERYTHING lol. socks goves, cushions towels, anything that she can find she chews, we take it off her and tell her no but then she growls and barks. can anyone help? thanx in advance :P
dee and sasha the boxer pup
Owdb1tch

Post by Owdb1tch »

She's a perfectly normal puppy. You have to TAKE her outside every hour and wait with her until she performs then reward her. She doesn't know that you expect her to go to the door. she will 'tell' you when she needs to go but she'll tell you in puppy language not human. She's a little baby and has to be treated like one.

That's why she chews. She's a puppy and puppies chew. If you don't want it chewed, put it away, and make sure you give her lots of safe things she can chew.

I don't know what you mean about the baby. How old is this baby? Babies and puppies should be kept apart.

It doesn't sound as if you have time for a puppy.
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

Ditto Owdb1tch..

Re the dog/baby issue.. if your child isnt old enough to follow instructions on how to deal with the puppy then they should never be unsupervised together.

When you, puppy and baby are together, distract puppy with something more fun before she jumps on the baby, shes playing and its a fun game.

Its MORE fun for her if: baby squeals/wiggles, you squeal and leap around in attempting to stop her.

So... see when shes going to do this (or any other behaviour you dont want) and get out a suitable toy and distract her with it.

If you miss that opportunity, say NOTHING, dont look at her, just take her quietly out of the room adn give her a few minutes to calm down.

Dont leave her out of the room for more than a minute or two, if you try to shut her out for 10 minutes or more she wont realise it was a consequence of her behaviour, and she will get more bored and be more likely to go straight back to whatever you didnt want her to do.
deedee1982

Post by deedee1982 »

i have plenty time for a dog, we have had dogs for a long time just never had one this jumpy before, my baby is 11 months, and we have no managed to train her (the dog) to stop jumping on my baby, i would never leave my children alone with my dogs i'm not that stupid lol. was only after some friendly advice to see how others had coped with the teething/settling in stage with a new pup. thanx for your comments x
dee and sasha the boxer pup
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

hi i have a 9/10 wk old boxer pup and she is a handfull which i know they all are as we have had boxers before but she is the first girl dog we have had, problems are, she wee's and poo's all over whenever she wants and wont go to the door even though we have tried to train her too
At 9/10 weeks old she is still a baby and like all babies, their bladders arn't developed enough to ask to go outside to toilet. The larger dogs like Boxers are slower to develop. She isn't weeing and pooing whenever she wants, she doesn't know any different, it is up to you to teach her to go outside and not expect her to know at her age.
second problem, she keeps nipping my baby, like she jumps on her back and bites her arm, i know its only playful but i want to put a stop to it before she gets any older and thinks its ok,
You can't expect her to know not to jump and nip your baby, she is younger than your baby but you don't expect your baby to know how to behave without teaching her/him. It is your job to keep both your baby and puppy safe.
third problem, she chews EVERYTHING lol. socks goves, cushions towels, anything that she can find she chews, we take it off her and tell her no but then she growls and barks. can anyone help? thanx in advance
Put them away and you won't be in this position, there is nothing like a puppy to keep your house tidy :lol: No point in telling her no, she doesn't understand but obviously feels threatened when you do this or she wouldn't growl and bark.
was only after some friendly advice to see how others had coped with the teething/settling in stage with a new pup. thanx for your comments x
From my own experience pussy footing around and trying not to upset people doesn't work, it is far better to be straight and honest. When advice hasn't been given straight and honest, the person asking the advise doesn't seem to think it refers to them. :lol: Not saying you are like this, but just explaining why you get straight, honest replies on here.
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]