Reactive dog - help starting over.

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

LisaCNH

Re: Reactive dog - help starting over.

Post by LisaCNH »

I appreciate all the posts. I am going through a very similar situation; having a reactive dog. She is a 90-100 lb Germ Shep/Lab mix rescue we got as a pup about 2 years ago. We went through a lot of training --- and I finally figured out the difference between positive training and dominance training. Her reactive behavior became worse outside of dog classes; and it never was great in the classes. Today I walked her at a cemetery, whereby I can see anyone/dogs approaching in advance. One man approached and I was able to re-gain her attention over 10 times until he was gone using chicken and the high pitched sounds VS uses. I was loose leash walking her. I feel a fool bec we started clicker training and I forgot my clicker. But I won't do that again. She did well I think, but to watch me you'd think I was practicing figure 8's. We mostly did turns, but some walking, lol. And thanks to Jacksdad and Emmabeth I am understanding positive training a lot more. I can see how 10 minutes was enough. Heidi was starting to figure out loose leash walking.