How often should a 11 pound dog poop?

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

NewMilfordian

How often should a 11 pound dog poop?

Post by NewMilfordian »

I wansn't sure how to word the subject line :) I have just adopted an "owner-surrender" maltese mix. We are adapting well to each other; she is just so sweet. She weighs about 11 pounds, is in good health and eats twice a day (correct for her weight). Should she need to poop after each meal? She does a little jump dance to alert me when whe has to pee. Sometimes she poops twice a day, and sometimes none. I would appreciate any advice you might have for me.
Fundog

Re: How often should a 11 pound dog poop?

Post by Fundog »

It is quite typical for dogs (even small dogs) to poop twice a day. My own dogs will poop four times a day! Yes they are bigger, but still.... :shock:
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
Sarah83

Post by Sarah83 »

Here it depends on the weather. If it's raining Rupert only poops once and that's when we take him for a run. If it's not raining and the grass isn't too wet he'll go anywhere between twice and 4 times. He's an 80lb dog but I can't really see what difference size would make. Except for size of the poop anyway.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Depends what they are fed as well. Some commercial foods have a lot of filler that can't be digested, and so there is more poop.

Also, each dog is an individual and there are many versions of "normal" as far as digestion goes. Just like us. :wink:
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

Jack is 18 pounds, his record for number of times in a day is 7.....but that was after he stuffed himself with 8 or 9 peanut based breakfast bars. :shock: this is when I learned even a small dog can figure out how to get on the counter and I ended up rearranging the furniture. it was also when I learned his level of self control and intense desire to NOT go in the house. the self control in this case has to do with his bathroom needs, not walking away from food :mrgreen:

When I first got him we feed beneful, he went 3 times a day minimum.

once we switched to a higher quality food, he dropped to 2 times a day and pretty much like clock work when he has to go because I feed him about the same time each day.
NewMilfordian

Post by NewMilfordian »

Thanks everyone. It helps to have feedback :)