Serious dog reactive behavior need step by step action plan

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

LisaCNH

Re: Serious dog reactive behavior need step by step action plan

Post by LisaCNH »

Thanks Emmabeth, for the advice and comments.

Today I played fetch with Heidi out back until she was good n tired. The same thing that happened yesterday occurred. A dog & owner walked in front of our house, and she saw them thru the screen door or window, or she may have heard them. I am realizing giving her the ability to see out needs to change. It's been such nice weather we use the security screen door, which she can see through. Her barking, raised hackles/reaction began when we were entering the room at the opposite end from the front door.

Heidi is so hyper-reactive, it's exhausting. I realize now I need to draw the blinds, shut the door, and peak out myself before we try to go out. Even that won't be fail-safe as we're on a corner, but it's as good as it gets. Once again, I decided to forgo the walk because she is still overly excited. Tomorrow I will try going earlier, to allow more time. The cemetery closes at dusk, and I have to make dinner/shuffle one kid to class, then lose my car to the other kid. The puppy class trainer suggested one of the dogs wear blinders, because he was reactive at 4 months; he was a germ shep also. What are your thoughts on blinders?
LisaCNH

Post by LisaCNH »

I found some info on this forum about a "calming cap" that is what I was referring to as blinders. What do you think about trying it for Heidi?
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

I think the calming cap might be worth a try, if it lets you get out the door to do some work! Remember to introduce it to her slowly, so its fun and rewarding to wear and do plenty of work wtih it on inside and out back first before you head to the door!

Trying a different time of day sounds good too, and encourage the older kid to get their own car seems like a priority as well! :lol:
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant