Dog Crys When I Leave

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

mustlovdoggs

Dog Crys When I Leave

Post by mustlovdoggs »

Hi everyone, I have a small problem. I got a new rescue cocker from a shelter, after I got him I took him to the vet to find out he has been beat in the head, ran over by a car, front left leg and back left leg had been broke and never set by a vet. He is blind in one eye and can not hear. Vet said he is over 10 years old. He was house trained in one week he is very smart. His was found on the streets eatting trash. He is very loving and great with my other Cocker Spaniels. He is a great little dog, my problem is if I leave the house, he crys and he howls, he is loud, I have tried giving him treats every time I leave to show him me leaving can be a good thing, I have tried, the kongs with peanut better when I leave him. What can I try to help him? It is so sad to hear him grying when I pull back in the drive way. Help me please. When he howls he gets the other two going along with him. :mrgreen: Thanks for any help you can give me.
I wished I was the person my dogs thinks I am.
emmabeth

Re: Dog Crys When I Leave

Post by emmabeth »

Where in the house is he left? Can he handle you going out of a part of the house and leaving him in one room or does he yell then?

Do you HAVE to leave him, or could he go to doggy daycare or similar?

Try DAP diffuser and also try the relevant Bach flower remedies for him (you'll hae to look them up as im not sure what each one is for and its based on your dogs personality and emotions so youd be better placed to pick, but i would suggest you look for thinsg to do with fear of the unknown, grief, abandonment etc).

Personally with such an old dog who has been through a pretty traumatic time, i would avoid leaving him alone if at all possible. I do realise that is not always possible though.
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
mustlovdoggs

Post by mustlovdoggs »

(Where in the house is he left? )
With the two other dogs in my room, its pretty big there. (Can he handle you going out of a part of the house and leaving him in one room or does he yell then? )
He want even let me go shower now.... :mrgreen:

(Do you HAVE to leave him, or could he go to doggy daycare or similar?)
I only leave him for an hour to go to store.
Try DAP diffuser and also try the relevant Bach flower remedies for him (you'll hae to look them up as im not sure what each one is for and its based on your dogs personality and emotions so youd be better placed to pick, but i would suggest you look for thinsg to do with fear of the unknown, grief, abandonment etc).
Like the rescue Remedy stuff, I have that ordered for Spencer, Emma I have not talked to you in a long time but Spencer has an enlarged heart, Hi heart is pushing up on his wind pipe, he has a heart vaule that is not closing all the way. Vet wants him calm, wanted him on the Rescue Remedy to help him.
Personally with such an old dog who has been through a pretty traumatic time, i would avoid leaving him alone if at all possible. I do realise that is not always possible though.
Thanks Emma, Glad to see you are still here helping us and our pets out.
I wished I was the person my dogs thinks I am.
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

Ok I think for now... can you try not to go to the store, or have someone come sit with him when you do (or go to the store for you), just for a few weeks.

Yes, there are other Bach Flower remedies, the Rescue Remedy is made of a mixture of flower remedies and there are different ones to suit different personalities/types/ anxieties etc.

Have a look here http://www.bachcentre.com/centre/remedies.htm as it lists all 38, but for example, Aspen - for fear of unknown things, Gorse - for hopelessness and despair, Honeysuckle - for those living in the past... have a look through the list and see which ones you think apply to him best.
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant