Ok for dog to sleep with us?

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Jenshigles

Ok for dog to sleep with us?

Post by Jenshigles »

Forgive my many questions since I joined so recently...

We like to have our dog sleep with us. He slept in his crate for a long time largely because I wanted to give him a "this is home" feeling in there. We got tired of him fussing in the morning and combined with me not feeling well one evening and just wanting to snuggle with the dog! He has been sleeping with us for almost a month now.

Is this ok? Seems alright...

He is calmer in general. Seems happy as a clam and LOVES curling up with us at night (or for an afternoon doze). I've read many articles saying it's a no-no. He stays down at our leg/feet level and likes to drape himself over them which keeps me warm.

Seems like a good arrangement to me... Am I asking for trouble though as those articles say?
emmabeth

Re: Ok for dog to sleep with us?

Post by emmabeth »

Ok possibly TMI here but im typing this from my laptop in bed.

*looks around the bed*

Theres a staffy x between my OH (who is snoring) and the wall... further down at the foot of the bed there is a Tibetan Terrier in his favoured upside down 'dead roach' sleeping position. He is snoring too.
At my feet there is a large grey scruffy heap that I very much suspect is a Deerhound.

Under the bed (I can hear HIM snoring!) there is a small grey lurcher, and on a dog bed by the door (keeping guard in case of burglars or snipers or something) there is a Saluki x Afghan...

No issues with anyone taking over our household, becoming dominant or over throwing the universe...... the oldest one here has been sleeping on my bed for the last 10 years, and hes not into overthrowing anything! Its far too much effort!

As long as your dog is polite about it, gets off when sked, moves over when asked, doesnt steal all the covers.. its fine! Its your dog and your life and if you want to share your bed with a dog or asi n my case, at least three... the worst thats going to happen is you get hairy bed sheets and need to wash them more often. You also find out REALLY quick if anyones picked up a flea from somewhere! *ouch* *itches*
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

I have no problem with the dog-on-bed arrangement either. It's nice and warm, very bonding, and I have never had a taking-over-the-world problem with any of my dogs - because they all get taught basic good manners.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Horace's Mum

Post by Horace's Mum »

My dog sleeps with me most nights - usually he comes up at bedtime for an hour or so, then sleeps in his own bed, but hops up again for an hour in the morning before the alarm goes off. I love it, he loves it, and there is only us to care! I do ask him to sleep in his own bed from the start from time to time, because when we go away he can't always sleep with me, and sometimes he chooses to sleep in his bed himself, and that's fine. He will also get off the bed if I ask him to, for whatever reason. I think as long as you teach a good "off" command that is never used as a scolding but just as a request because you need to move or something, then it's fine.
Sarah83

Post by Sarah83 »

Rupert can't sleep on the bed with me and my hubby as he insists on getting between us, lying on his side and purposely pushing my husband towards the edge of the bed with his legs. Once hubby is out of bed Rupe will curl up with me as happy as anything. If hubby gets back in bed Rupe shoves him out again. Never tries shoving me out of bed, just my hubby :lol:

If just one of us is in bed however he'll curl up happily with that person and be as good as gold. He gets into bed with me ever morning when my husband's gone to work and if I sleep in the spare room (hubby snores loud enough to wake the dead at times) he sleeps with me the whole night.

You're not asking for trouble by letting your dog sleep with you. As long as he moves when asked, isn't aggressive about you moving and accidentally touching him when sleeping (mine grumbles about it but I grumble if he disturbs me too so I figure that's okay) and you and your OH are happy about it then there's no issue. The old dominance theories are out of date and incorrect to be honest.
Jenshigles

Post by Jenshigles »

Thanks! This is all good to hear and supports our experience with our dog.

We cannot ask him to get down because I don't want his little legs jumping so far down onto a hard surface. He doesn't grumble or anything when we move him around except for the sleepy groan or two. :lol:
ckranz

Post by ckranz »

Their are plush steps you can get to provide a means of egress which would not involve jumping.
Jenshigles

Post by Jenshigles »

I will have to keep looking and saving some $$$. I haven't been able to find some TALL enough and affordable. I think we might end up making some, doesn't look too difficult.

Fortunately he doesn't try to jump so for now we are safe as he doesn't LIKE to jump down that far. He just looks from the floor to us and back again until we get is *subtle* hint. :)
Whitefang

Post by Whitefang »

Last edited by Whitefang on Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
***Melissa***

Post by ***Melissa*** »

Our two dogs sleep with us in bed as well. :D

They have a bed in our room on the floor too, and sometimes they will get off and sleep there - this is usually when it gets too hot (we stay in South Africa, so have VERY hot summers). One is a Jack Russel cross, the other a Dachshund, so I have a plastic step beside the bed so they can come up or get off as they please. :wink:
There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face. ~Ben Williams
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Whitefang wrote: She had a habit of taking up half the bed and making me hang over the edge. She would also kick me, push me off the bed with her butt, snore in my ear, hog the blankets and pillow space, drool and yelp during her dreams. Overall, it was adorable watching her sleep and she would cuddle really close and sometimes put her paw on my arm.

Good practice for marriage, Whitefang :lol: always insist on separate beds when you do!
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Noobs

Post by Noobs »

Murphy is allowed on the bed any time, except when it's uncomfortable (L is 16.5 weeks along and getting bigger by the day so needs more room!) and he gets off when asked. And sometimes he gets off and tries again once he thinks we're asleep! :lol:

I do want to add that those articles that say it's a no-no....stop going to those websites. Any site that says dog on bed is a no-no because the dog will become dominant is going to be trouble. :wink:
Jenshigles

Post by Jenshigles »

That's really cute about Murphy. :)

So I am hearing more and more about the dominance theories being wrong and such. I read some Cesar Millan and some of his ideas make sense about being a confident/calm leader... makes sense. If I am skittish then it sends a bad energy to my dog, right?

So what do I trust and listen to? So many theories and I don't want to mess him up further!!!
Noobs

Post by Noobs »

Jen,

I will tell you this much - If you read anything that seems hokey to you, ask HERE. We will tell you the safest information for you and your dog. Go to our "Articles" section and read up there. Good authors to read are Patricia McConnell, Karen Pryor, Jean Donaldson, and others will probably have more to list for you. Other good sites are fearfuldogs.com (if you have a fear reactive dog) and clickertraining.com (free registration for tons of awesome training info).
Noobs

Post by Noobs »

Here are some good links:

Articles section:
viewforum.php?f=20

Clicker Training - Heres How!
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=513

'Aggression' - some things to think about.
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=6111

Dog's body language
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=2959

Dominance: Dog V Human - taking over the world?
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=600