mouthing german shepherd

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

jibber

mouthing german shepherd

Post by jibber »

I have an adorable 7month old german shepherd who is still mouthing and nipping can anybody help me i dont know how to stop him.
***Melissa***

Re: mouthing german shepherd

Post by ***Melissa*** »

Provide things to chew on during the day, like raw carrots, brocolli, apple, cardboard boxes (no staples), empty toilet rolls, etc.

When he mouth or nips - stop doing what you were doing (probably playing with him or touching him?), get up, don't say a word, nothing, and leave them room for 10 seconds. Do that EVERY time he mouths or nips. Everybody else interacting with the dog must to the same. It is very important to be consistent. :wink:

You have to do it EVERY time, or else it won't work. For the first day or two it will feel that that's the only thing you're doing - getting up and leaving him for 10 seconds.

Also, it will get worse before it gets better. It's kind of like pressing the buttons on the remote more and harder when you know the batteries are dead :wink: So he will try harder to see if he can get another reaction out of you (other than leaving for 10 seconds), but after that he will give up, and he will realise that mouthing / nipping = being ignored and left alone. (10 to 15 seconds are enough - you don't have to make it longer)
There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face. ~Ben Williams
bsobon

Re: mouthing german shepherd

Post by bsobon »

You can also try something else. When puppies are in the litter playing along with each other if one of the puppies get to rough the yipe. So when your dog mouths or nipes at you let out a high pitch yipe, he will take as if he hurt you like a pup in the litter. Let out a high pitch yipe and turn your back and don't give him any attention. If he noses you continue to ignore him. After a few minutes when he has calmed down continue to play and once he mouths or nipes repeat it. Hope this helps reply back if you find a change :)