Going to the back seat

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Wicket

Going to the back seat

Post by Wicket »

I know dogs are supposed to be in the back seat when driving, but I'm not sure how to train them (probably by myself) to be okay back there:

Maggie,for most of her life, was trained by in the driver's lap (without a seat belt) by my Mom or in the passenger seat on a leash (without a seat belt) while driving, but when she's been with me, I've been chucking kibble (kinda free-shaping while I'm driving) whenever she's in her seat belt, lying down or sitting in the passenger seat. On our way to the park (about 5 minutes away), she's able to sit and/or lay down but still whines loudly if not constantly reinforced with kibble, but once she's been exercised at the park, on the way home, she's quiet and lays down in the seat, not needed to be reinforced as much. I don't think she's ready to go to the back seat yet but I don't want her to be hurt either...

Previously, Betsy had been used to sitting in my lap with her seat belt on the passenger seat since I wasn't driving at the time when we went to agility lessons. Now that I'm driving, Betsy can cope with being in the passenger seat, needing little reinforcement, usually just sleeps or lays down so I'm thinking she could handle being in the back seat. In the past, I was driving to agility (had a permit at the time) and Mom didn't want her in her lap and put Betsy in the backseat. Betsy completely freaked out--whined and barked and made sounds I didn't know dogs could make--while she was back there. I'd like to not to repeat this incident so I don't know what to do.

Anyone have any ideas? Thanks! :)
***Melissa***

Re: Going to the back seat

Post by ***Melissa*** »

Are they crate trained? And if they are, will their crates fit into your car? Then you can have them crated on the backseat, and even put a blanket over the crates if you think they will cope better like that?
There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face. ~Ben Williams
Wicket

Post by Wicket »

Betsy is crate trained, but the crate is rather small and am worried about it sliding it back and forth in the vehicle. Maggie has never ever been crate trained and due to that, putting her confined spaces, completely freaks her out.
***Melissa***

Post by ***Melissa*** »

If you want to use the crate for Betsy - use the safety belt to keep it from moving around.
Wouldn't it be easier to crate train Maggie & use the crate in the car for her?
There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face. ~Ben Williams