what to do when your dog is attacked

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

paulmcw247

what to do when your dog is attacked

Post by paulmcw247 »

I have an 8 month old jack russell named Hoggle. He was attacked by my neighbors black lab. He (Hoggle) is okay, he has only one bite wound. i let him to go pee, he did not have his lead one but i was out there with him. the lead was not cause sometimes he will not give my wife or i time to put the lead on and pee in the house, so i wait to put it on outside when he is peeing. when we got out the neighbor girl saw and started call hoggle to come to her, never did ask if she could. as i running after him to put the lead on she yells at her lab NO! the lab (shadow) had hoggle in his mouth shaking him as if he were a toy. i had to pry the labs mouth open to get my dog out. all this happened in the neighbors yard and both dogs were not on a lead. the lab will attack small dogs as i saw wednesday and the owners even told my wife and i that he (the lab) will attack. the lady i bought my house from said the the lab did $2000 of damage to her small dog. the lab is let out by himself to roam the yard. they have a fenced-in backyard and rarely us it. WHAT TO I NEED TO DO or WHAT CAN I DO?
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

Send the owners of the lab any vets bill, warn them that they are liable for their dogs actions and can be reported for allowing their dog to be out of control and dangerous.

Dont let your dog out the front off lead... no the lead wont help him not be attacked again but it will stop him running across the road and getting injured or killed... let him out the back off lead to pee instead.

Long term, take him to meet dogs that ARE nice so he doesnt develop a fear of black labs and grow up to be like the neighbours dog, with a hatred for a certain type of dog.
loza123

Post by loza123 »

Hi

My dog was attacked today while out on his walk with my mum so i dont no how it happen i think as my mum turned the corner of the field lucy (dog) was running the same way as my mum was walking i cant really understand as i thought bitches and dogs got along fine . anyway we no the owner and , well he is my mums friend and it has happen a few times , she has not bit him , but there was slaver marks (sorry about spelling) were she has tried to bite him . But i did used to walk a bordercollie but was a ***** and they were fine ,also i think she only attacks my dog ,and she lives with a lab mix or just pure lab male .She is a lab mix collie i think? But why would she pick on mine do you Know i dont no if she does want to bite him , but i cant remember what they were like when they first met. Also my dog tends to make out hes bigger and the ***** just being a Domiment ***** ? another thing is when ever we go pass the house that she lives at she barks ,stands on her back legs and i can hear her claws Scratching at the window ? please help she dont not attack often as we dont meet but when she sees him she goes!
sarahwq

Post by sarahwq »

I would like some advice on this too, I have a 15 month old mongrel who has always loved german shepherds bcos she is part german shepherd, and when she was in a rescue home as a puppy she was staying with 3 german shepherds!

We have moved house recently and somebody on our road has 2 big german shepherds, twice now one of them has come over to her started sniffing her fine and she wags her tail and then suddenly it barks at her and tries to go for her!

The owner is usually on the other side of teh road to the park, and they are not on a lead, his response to this mornings event was 'oh sorry I don't knwo what is wrong with him at the minute' and he walks over slowly while my husband is trying to stop his dog get to ours who is hiding behind him! This is the second time this has happened and I don't knwo what to do, the owner is doing nothing, and I don't want my dog to have a problem with dogs bcos she loves other dogs!
SarahWQ
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

Report him to the Dog Warden, his dogs should be on a lead when on the road. If you don't know where he lives, wait and follow him or ask other who may know.

If this is happening to your dog it is happening to others.

I have a dog that is terrified of other dogs because stupid owners couldn't be bothered to keep their dogs on a lead and he was always getting attacked. After I reported one, these attacks stopped.
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
sarahwq

Post by sarahwq »

Thanks for this Mattie, I was considering phoning the dog warden, I had to do that a few months ago when my mums dog was attacked!

I don't see why we should be worried about that dog getting to her and scaring her, particualrly when you don't usually get issues with dogs and bitches!

there is also a nice friendly german shepherd near us that she has already met so I am going to try and get her to see him as often as possible so that she doesn't develop a fear of german shepherds!
SarahWQ