Possessive of People?

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Wicket

Possessive of People?

Post by Wicket »

My Poodle, Maggie, *acts* like she's possessive of people. She will guard Betsy from her favorite person's stuff and growl at Betsy if Betsy comes near her favorite person. If Maggie has a toy and is near her favorite person, she's more likely guard it from Betsy, using more aggressive/excited displays than without her favorite person being there. If Betsy wants the toy too, it's a pretty much a guarantee that a non-bloody dog fight will ensue. Is there anyway I can stop this extreme resource guarding behavior when I'm not Maggie's favorite person?
***Melissa***

Re: Possessive of People?

Post by ***Melissa*** »

Not sure if I understand you correct, but -
Can you pick up the toys, and only let them have toys when they are in different rooms or seperated by a babygate?
There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face. ~Ben Williams
Nettle

Re: Possessive of People?

Post by Nettle »

Maggie is taking confidence from the presence of her favoured person (my big sister's here so yah boo to you).

It's one of those areas where management works a treat - either have lots of toys so that there are too many to guard, or else keep them separate when toys are out.

If Favoured Person is on-side, they should get up and move right away as soon as guarding behaviour happens. No saying anything or making anything of it - just across the room at the first sign of whale eye.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS