New shelter dog

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Mazzetti88

New shelter dog

Post by Mazzetti88 »

Recently we adopted a dog from an animal shelter (a Dobie mix, male, about 2 years old). We already had a 4 year old male chocolate lab at home, and when the two met, they didn't really seem to care for eachother and just did their own thing. Within the past few days, the shelter dog that we adopted has started nipping at my other dogs ears when he tries to play with him, and eventually gets really rough with him. Another thing the shelter dog has started doing is he barks at you if you pet my chocolate lab. Not all the time, just sometimes, I'm not exactly sure what is going on with this. Besides for the playing rough and barking, the new dog hasn't shown any signs of aggression at all and will even go and lick and clean my other dog. So I'm not really sure what to do to correct these few issues.

Any advice?

***Melissa***

Re: New shelter dog

Post by ***Melissa*** »

I think your post was missed, so I'm bumping this for you - hopefully someone will answer soon :wink:
There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face. ~Ben Williams
bsobon

Post by bsobon »

Well... If your Lab doesn't want to play with your new dog and you see he is not happy with your new dog playing with him and don't know how to break him away clap and say "hey!" right away when he stops just remove him and then praise him. And him barking when you pet your kab he may be jelous either have someone else pet him at the same time or call him over and share the love. Also get your dogs in more activities together play with both of them or get them to play together.
example- have a tug o war and start plying with on dog and if the other want to play give him your end see if they will tug o war with each other.
example- throw a ball two balls hope this helps :wink:
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

I wouldnt clap or do anythin that could frighten either dog, however your new dog is testing the ground and seeing how your lab 'works' ie, what makes him play, where do i stand with him etc. The ear nipping is a bit pushy, but the face licking is a bit appeasing so he is trying to figure things out.

If your lab clearly does not appreciate these advances then use your body/body language to 'push' the new dog away from him andkeep doing that. When you can (ideally before he starts pestering, but if you have had to body block a few times andthen distract him taht will help too), distract him with toys and something else to do so that he doesnt pester your lab too much and he doesnt learn that pestering the lab is a good attention seeker.

Do make sure that both dogs have plenty to do - if your new dog is bored that will make pushing and pestering your lab much more appealing. I would not do anything that could trigger an argument between them though so things you do wtih them together need to be more controlled, such as walks and then the things ou di with them seperately can be a bit more exciting.

Overall, you want YOU to be more important to each dog, than they are to one another.
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
bsobon

Post by bsobon »

i would only clap if you feel it is getting out of hand and you need a way to break it up
ckranz

Post by ckranz »

What is most important here is being able to read both your dogs accurately. Your shelter dog is still adjusting to his new living conditions, which will involve testing the waters so to speak. How do I get this other dog to play. Where do I fit in the local social structure etc...It can take a few months before all is well settled and roles established.

What's important is allowing your dogs to communicate at their level on all the subtle things...look aways, sniffing, even limited vocalizations, and being a little snarky. Whats important is your lab is indicating he does not want to play....giving look aways, or showing other sign of telling your new dog to "back off" for you to re-inforce those signals.

Calling the new dog away, giving the new dog a toy. Likewise you will likely encounter the reverse situation where your lab may want a toy or something the shelter dog has. Give the shelter dog the same respect if he is not into playing tug with other dogs and allow him to enjoy playing with toys alone. Call your lab away.

There are countless books to help you learn to identify these subtle body cues to help re-enforce your dogs message.

You should never allow things to escalate beyond a simple call away or body block will work to re-direct the behavior of either dog.