two female dogs

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

tinabru1

two female dogs

Post by tinabru1 »

Hi there, I have a 12 year old basset hound, and just adopted an 8 year old female.
the younger one is snarling when the other dogs comes near her bed when she is in it. she is sweet as sugar any
other time...any suggestions? I hope I can salvage this relationship, I love the new one..but the old one has my loyalty.
thanks
tina
p.s. we have had two dogs with this older female, but they were always males.
Wicket

Re: two female dogs

Post by Wicket »

What have you done to done to manage this situation in the past? Does the younger dog growl in other situations too? Has the situation escalated beyond growling?
Noobs

Post by Noobs »

What room is her bed in, and where is her bed located in relation to the rest of the furniture?
tinabru1

Post by tinabru1 »

We have only had the younger dog a month. We just adopted her from rescue, since our older male passed on August 6th. Chloe (older one) sleeps on the couch or on a bed (there were 3 beds on the floor). Annie (younger one) sleeps on the dog bed next to the couch during the day, and next to my side of the bed at night. Chloe sleeps on the couch at night. Annie really liked one of the beds on the floor but I noticed she was really snarly on it so yesterday I took it up...but obviously I can't take all her beds away...since we have hardwood floors, she wouldn't have anyplace to sleep..she doesn't growl however, if she is laying on the floor and another animal comes near her, only when she on the bed. Note: she was abused, hit and who knows what else prior to coming to rescue..we have 2 cats as well and she is fine with them, as long as she is not on her bed.
***Melissa***

Post by ***Melissa*** »

Dogs who were abused usually takes a while to adjust. She is insecure, and her confidence will go up as time goes on.

Give her her own bed totally seperate from the other dogs - preferably even in her "own" room - where you can close the door, so she feels like that is her safe place, and no one (human or dog) may bother her when she's there. It will help her a lot to have a "safe place".
There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face. ~Ben Williams