excessive licking

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

craftypeggy

excessive licking

Post by craftypeggy »

We adopted our staffie cross in June 2010, she was 7mths old then. She has settled down well with us but still has a few issues. One of which is the constant habit of licking almost everything near her, we think it could be stress but she seems so calm a lot of the time, we are aware it takes time to settle in after what has probably been a hard start to her life.
We use the word STOP which she obey's but can't help herself and has a quick parting lick before moving away, she is a nervous dog on the lead when around motor vehicles and shakes and tends to sit down till they have passed but is completely fine when off the lead in the park.
She does like to be close to us most of the time, sitting as close as she can get, even sitting behind us like a cushion, we have a secure garden which in good weather she will go out on her own when the door is open but seems to need us to follow her out before she will do her "business".
We are working on easing separation issues as we try not to leave her alone for even small periods of time so as not to stress her too much, also she is not getting much exercise at the moment, on the vets advice as she is waiting for an operation for luxating patella.
If anyone has any advice which could help our poor girl please reply.
Wicket

Re: excessive licking

Post by Wicket »

What training has she received? What's her daily diet and mental/physical exercise? Do you know anything about her previous history?
craftypeggy

Post by craftypeggy »

Hi, thanks for replying. Poppy was with a foster carer with her sister from 16 weeks until 3 weeks before she came to us. The foster carer said she was housetrained, but then she was taken back to the rescue centre in London in a house with approx 20 dogs and only exercised twice a week. When we got her she wasn't house trained then, and really hated to go on the lead. We took her up the road and she kept stopping and laying down flat without budging and shaking like mad!

She knows to sit and will give you her paw for a treat. She is now housetrained through the day, but still had the odd accident at night!

We bought her a kong toy, so if we have to leave her, she has that. If we leave her with a chew, she won't touch it until I come back home again, but she is only ever left for really short periods of time.

We used to walk her daily, but the vet said not to at the moment as her knees are so bad. Shes due to have the operation on the 7th December for them both. She still hates being on the lead and used to pull like mad, but now she has a harness and is much better on that. Its just a shame she is so scared all the time. She tries to hide when she sees the lead and then sits there shaking. We live in the country, so its fairly quiet where we are, but she is really frightened of passing cars. As we said if we take her to the park, she loves that and really likes to meet all the other dogs, but we only do that a couple of times a week at the moment.

She had a couple of squeeky toys which she loved, but now the squeeks have gone, she just chews them. She also has a rope toy.

I used to feed her dry food. Beta or wagg, but now I give her that with tinned food too as its the only way she'll eat the dry as she hates it on its own. I feed her every evening between 6.30 and 7.30. Otherwise she has chews and a dental stick.

I put her name down to go to junior classes and am waiting for the next class to start, but that might have to be put back now because of the operations.

She always gets really excited when we have visitors, but again won't stop licking them. Its not just the skin, she'll lick your clothes and the furniture too!

She always has a mad five minutes when my partner comes home from work, sometimes she wees a bit, but she'll run round in circles for ages barking and really pleased to see him.

I hope this helps and you may be able to tell us where we might be going wrong!
***Melissa***

Post by ***Melissa*** »

Others will come up and offer more advice :D

Re the licking:
When dogs lick they release endorphines (I hope this is the right word, but it's feel-good-hormones). So especially stressed dogs will lick the bed, couch, anything - in order to make them feel better.

She's a rescue, so she has probably been through a lot, and that's probably where she started with her licking.

Even later, when the dog is not stressed anymore, he may still continue to lick, as it became a habit - so even when she is settled and not stressed she may still lick.

The best you can do is to ignore it - telling her to stop or whatever may make her more stressed - and then she will lick even more. You can try to redirect her with a treat or toy or game when you see she's licking, but be careful that she doesn't link the licking = treat/toy/game (then she will lick EVEN MORE :lol: )
There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face. ~Ben Williams