Bonfire Night (in the UK)

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Scadds

Bonfire Night (in the UK)

Post by Scadds »

Is Charlie odd?
He watches the fireworks and listens to the bangs...

No reaction at all. Zip diddly. Nothing.

Just carries on as normal
Wicket

Re: Bonfire Night (in the UK)

Post by Wicket »

Is Charlie's hearing ok?
Scadds

Post by Scadds »

Cheese
Charlie
Sit
All words he "hears" (hes 9 weeks)

And he reacts to the playstaion surround sound so I think yes his hearing is ok.

He is now asleep - and outside is like Beirut (im showing my age by saying that) - the bangs are loud.
Sarah83

Post by Sarah83 »

Rupert couldn't care less about fireworks either. You'd think he was deaf for all the notice he takes of the bangs and whistles. Same with gunshots, he seems to not even hear them. I know for certain that he's not deaf and I figure it's better than him being in a state of panic over them.
Noobs

Post by Noobs »

Well then, good for Charlie for not reacting to fireworks!

Now even though he watches fireworks...are his eyes wide and alert? What are his ears doing, flicking back or forward? Is he licking his lips? Yawning? Panting?

Or does he watch them with eyes partially lidded, with open-mouthed breathing?

If it's the latter, he's fine. If it's the former, he may be uncomfortable. Even if he's not reacting outwardly, you may still want to pair the sights and sounds with yummies or something.
Scadds

Post by Scadds »

He took/takes no notice of them (other than a quick look at the thing in the sky).
He only continues as normal waiting for me to throw his toy or he continues the puppy zoomies in the garden.

(we do think he is odd) we have an anti dog biting spray that 99% of dogs dont like - Charlie loves it! Licks it, bites the bottle (not angry bite but bites the nozzle).
Wicket

Post by Wicket »

Scadds wrote: (we do think he is odd) we have an anti dog biting spray that 99% of dogs dont like - Charlie loves it! Licks it, bites the bottle (not angry bite but bites the nozzle).
He uses the spray bottle as a chew toy?
Scadds

Post by Scadds »

no.
he does not not like the spray.
the point im making is that 99% of dogs dont like it - i assume 99% of dogs ( or somewhere close to that) dont like fireworks. It seems that our dog does not subscribe to the norm :D
runlikethewind

Post by runlikethewind »

I think it's because he's only 9 weeks old. Come next year or the year after, things might be different. I have unfortunately found the same thing. We've moved and there are fireworks going off all ove the place now where we live. I just had to rush out to get seom DAP and homeopathy. Not working yet - I should have given it much earlier.
Horace's Mum

Post by Horace's Mum »

Make the most of it and pile the fun stuff on whenever there are bangs!! Hopefully next year he will remember that these bangy things come with food and play.
littlefoot

Post by littlefoot »

There are loads of fireworks going off at the back of my house both dogs are fast asleep. Zeus has never reacted to fireworks he is a very laid back boy, in 2 years I can count on one hand the amount of times I've heard him bark. Momo sticks her head up every so often to give a bark of dissaproval then goes back to sleep. :lol:
moandlola

Post by moandlola »

Just fed Lola lots of treats (and me too!) and had a big play. Been playing noise desensitisation cd for couple weeks because she's a bit jittery about everything (17 weeks old).....think we've survived Yeah!!
runlikethewind

Post by runlikethewind »

I've been advised to try Zyklene
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

Wellll we have just about survived!

It isnt particularly odd that puppies arent frightened, I would say its about fifty fifty there really, if they are fairly confident and the first few bangs happen when they are inside and feeling secure they are usually fine.

If they are nervy of something else anyway and then a big bang happens and its super loud or they are outside, then they can get very jumpy very quickly.

I do think your pup is just genuinely un-fussed, but don't take it for granted, pair each big bang with treats and you making a huge fuss and being excited about it and playing games - try throughout the yaer to do the same thing and a reminder midway through using a cd or otherwise recorded firework sounds wouldnt go amiss either, as a 'not bothered' dog can EASILY become a 'terrified' dog.
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
ladybug1802

Post by ladybug1802 »

Dylan amazingly seems also to be pretty much not bothered by fireworks! We heard some last weekend and he wasnt at all bothered. we did agility Fri night and he couldnt care less about the bangs going on outside! Last night I went to a parents neighbours to watch a big firework display that we can see from the houses in my parents road, left Dylaan in their kitchen with the tv on loud, blinds down with his frozen kong....when we came back he was more than happy and not stressed at all! Glad he doesnt getstressed over them like a lot of animals do!

Oh and my friends dog seems to also sit and watch them through the window as well!