Bark bark whine

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Midget

Bark bark whine

Post by Midget »

Hello again!

Im having a problem with separation anxiety. My pup is now 7 months old, a gsd/husky mix rescued dog. The first few months i had no problems when i went to work. This last week, my landlord, which buisness is located under my apartment , is complaining about her whining for hours... At first i thought he was exxagerating, but he wasnt.

When i leave i keep her tied (please leave the trash, im waiting for a nice crate online cause the prices here for a huge cage is 200+ euros) . I always leave her water, toys, (unfortunantley not "go away" toys" which i will try now that i read it). I take her out to potty 10 minutes before i leave so she will be all set. I take her on a good long walk in the afternoons and let her run and play with the other puppies in the neighbourhood.

I work for 6 hours, then go straight home, take her out for potty and for the walk i mentioned. This scheduele has not changed. Why is she so anxious now? I spent 1 hour today and yesterday going in and out the house trying to praise her when she was quite, i think im doing something wrong. Of course im not waiting for miracles within minutes, but the landlord is getting frustrated and i may have to consider giving her away, which i really do not want to.

About the tying up part, when i tie her up to clean the house she doesnt have a problem, she sleeps like an angel, no matter what hour, or just stays there and play with her toys.

To day i noticed how anxious she really gets! She starts breathing fast, tounge out and all... Im going to send a friend over to check on her.

If we cant make this work, i really am going to have to give her away, but im sure you guys will help me to get through thhis! Please no negative comments on the tying part, i know its wrong and its going to change within the week. Will the crate help? Should i keep the crate covered to make her feel more safe?

Thanks for reading! any advise will be very very very much appreciated!!
Midget

Re: Bark bark whine

Post by Midget »

note: she hasnt had her period yet, does that matter?
Beckyyy

Post by Beckyyy »

Aside from the whining, what is she like without being tied up/crated? Does she become destructive or try to dig/chew things?
Noobs

Post by Noobs »

Things may change with the other things coming - crate/toys - so it remains to be seen if you need to change anything. But meanwhile...

Have you tried taking her on a long walk in the morning to get rid of some of that energy? When I first got my dog I had to get up an hour earlier than I used to just so I could take him on a good enough walk to settle him (he was 8 months when I got him).

Also, how do you give her breakfast? In a bowl or in other ways that require her to work for the food? Recently I've been giving Murphy some meals in an empty cereal box. I take 3-5 pieces of kibble and stuff them into magazine pages and crumple them up. I end up with about 1.5 cups of kibble in half a magazine. :lol: Then put the crumpled papers in an empty cereal box and close it. I put it on his play rug and he shreds through it and takes him 20 minutes to eat one meal. Afterwards he's wrecked. :lol:

If you can arrange it so that she gets to burn off some energy before you leave, she may be happy to sleep when you leave.

However, if she is distressed by being tied then you may have a bigger problem than just the energy being pent up.
Midget

Post by Midget »

Hello!
First of thanks for the responces,second sorry for not being here to answer, i haave no easy acsess to the internet these days.

So here is my update, not so good:

Ive been sick the last 6 days so the longs walks turned itno quickies...I tried bringing her to my workplace so she could at least see some people and play a bit.
Im still searching for a good economic crate.
When i leave now, i let her loose in the house thinking that its better for her to be quiet so the landlord wont give me any trouble than for me to clean up after her, till i get the crate. Note that she is housetrained and till now we havent had any accidents.

I know its an immature decision, but this guy is getting on my nerves..He just called me to say :"the dog has torn down your curtains and is looking outside!!Its going crazy!!"
Im like wtf man, its a puppy, of course its going to look outside and bark a little. As for the curtains, im sure "torn" really means "brought down" cause she does do that. Im sure he is exxagerating a bit, but on the other hand i know how anoyying a barking puppy can get...He had one that didnt let me sleep when he first got her and when i was asked if she was trouble i answered: "sure she barks and whines alot, but i love dogs, so i know how it is. Dont worry though, sometimes i sit beside my window to keep her company" ...i guess this is my thank you.
note: when i first got her i went with her to the landlord and asked his permission to keep her...he said yes...

Sorry for the mumbling, i just had to get it off my chest..
As for the morning walks, i think i should do them. She is full of energy and im sure that is one big problem. I liked the idea with the cereal box, but im sure it wouldnt be enough for her. One time i had her running 1 hour straight, with other dogs in the park, only to continue doing it when we came back home. I wouldnt've picked a so high energy dog, but she was rescued .

@beckyyy: when i tied her up and she broke loose, she was destructive. Now that i let her free in the house she is less destructive. I dont know if the pillows count as destructive or just a game. But im sure chewing on my matress while tied up counts as destructive. So , yes she is destructive, but less when she is not tied up.

Its hard raising a puppy on your own. Im trying to do my best though. Giving her away is not an option for me, we are too down the road to do that to her and above all, im in love!

I'll try doing some of your tips, specially the walks when i get better!

Thank you for your support!
Midget

Post by Midget »

Just popped in for an update!

Im still waiting for the crate (48" for my GSD-Husky mix, i hope its enough!)
Till then im using some of your tips to occupy her day.
I filled up a jar with treats wrapped up in newspapper and it she really liked it! As i was stupid enough :oops: to do this with a glass jar, it broke. Thank god i was supervising. So i looked around the house to find something safe. I stumbled upon something awesome, so i thought i should share!
Only difference with mine is that mine is round, so it can roll on the floor too. edit: its a toothbrush holder.

So at first i tried plugging one or two holes with newspaper , but as hard as it got to get the treats out, she got bored. Then i just put the treats in with no plugging. She got the lid off, so i tried closing it well with newspaper. It lasted longer. I might end up gluing it on and just put the treats through the holes, but on the other hand that way she will just end up shredding it to pieces. Another good idea is to make one hole on the side. I may try that on a different home-found product, cause i kinda like how this one is turning out.

About the landlord, he was more anxious about the damage she might do to the house( although i still cant understand how you rent a place with an unfinished hardwood floor...), so once i calmed him down, that even if she does do any damage i will fix it with my expense, he never has really bothered me yet on the barking.Plus he liked the crate idea.

I really hope i can manage training her well in the crate and i hope it will help with the barking. Ive been looking on toys to keep her occupied as you already noticed.
About the barking the only progress we've made is that when she is tied (still feel bad about that) and she barks before we go to sleep, i ignore her. It seems to work, cause now when i arrive home she is just sitting there, no bark , no whine. When i leave she still barks a bit than stops (i wait outside to listen), i just hope she doesnt start again and do it for too long. I kept her tied this weekend (no landlord at his downstairs shop) for her to get used to it. Tommorow will be a test with the landlord back in his store, but to be honest im afraid to tie her up again and receive a mad call from him. On the other hand she started on my new sofa....that hurt. gosh i cant wait for the crate, although i know it will still take some time for her to use it 100%.

Thanks again, this forum is superb! I tell all my friends about it!!
Horace's Mum

Post by Horace's Mum »

Can you not make one room safe and leave her in there with all her food toys and things? Usually the bathroom is a good place, easy to clean and very little that can be chewed - I have yet to hear of a dog who has chewed up a porcelain toilet! Also has the added advantage that usually they can't see out of the windows either which would help with keeping her calm.

The other thing to bear in mind is that some dogs can run for an hour or more, but it seems to just get them more excited. This is because it increases their adrenalin, which they then don't know how to switch off and calm down. So if you are finding that she is still hyper after her walks, you may need to build some chillout time into he routine, especially if you walk her before leaving. Just 10-20mins of quiet time is often enough to let them destress, similar to a child reading before going to bed after a really exciting day out. In this time interact with her as little as possible, encourage her to settle in one place rather than pacing, don;t engage in play or training.

You might also find it useful to start using training sessions to tire her out - if time is short in the morning then use the morning walk, let her walk for a bit and then work on some basic stuff, heelwork, sit, down, stay, recall, dropping toys. This will help her mind to be tired when you leave as well as her body, and help her be a more settled dog.

When you do get a crate, remember you need to spend a fair amount of time (probably weeks) training her to use it, don't just shut her in it instead of tying her up otherwise you will end up with a dog who still barks and gets anxious when you put her in the crate, instead of one who is happy to go in and loves being there.
Midget

Post by Midget »

Horace's Mum wrote:Can you not make one room safe and leave her in there with all her food toys and things? Usually the bathroom is a good place, easy to clean and very little that can be chewed - I have yet to hear of a dog who has chewed up a porcelain toilet! Also has the added advantage that usually they can't see out of the windows either which would help with keeping her calm.
The bathroom was a really good choice....but she ate the door :lol: :D

Then i tied her in the bathroom, she pulled the washing machine and chewed off the cable.(not plugged of course, but could never imagine she would do that at 4-months old then)
Horace's Mum wrote:The other thing to bear in mind is that some dogs can run for an hour or more, but it seems to just get them more excited. This is because it increases their adrenalin, which they then don't know how to switch off and calm down. So if you are finding that she is still hyper after her walks, you may need to build some chillout time into he routine, especially if you walk her before leaving. Just 10-20mins of quiet time is often enough to let them destress, similar to a child reading before going to bed after a really exciting day out. In this time interact with her as little as possible, encourage her to settle in one place rather than pacing, don;t engage in play or training.
I will try this, cause she is still hyper active after walks. She was running for an hour or so and still ran in the house when we returned :lol:
Horace's Mum wrote:You might also find it useful to start using training sessions to tire her out - if time is short in the morning then use the morning walk, let her walk for a bit and then work on some basic stuff, heelwork, sit, down, stay, recall, dropping toys. This will help her mind to be tired when you leave as well as her body, and help her be a more settled dog.
I seriously doubt it that she would get tired enough, but i will give it a shot. She is a reeeaaally active puppy.By the way, how do you teach them to "drop"?, i just cant get it.
Horace's Mum wrote:When you do get a crate, remember you need to spend a fair amount of time (probably weeks) training her to use it, don't just shut her in it instead of tying her up otherwise you will end up with a dog who still barks and gets anxious when you put her in the crate, instead of one who is happy to go in and loves being there.
Yes, i do have that in mind and i really want to do it right cause she deserves it, i have put her through quit alot :/

Thanks for the advise, i'll try them!
Take care!
Noobs

Post by Noobs »

Trust me, training and playing mind games will get your dog more tired than running and walking. Although you also need the physical exercise, doing training and brain games will tire her out.

Running around the house after a walk is just getting the "zoomies" - a lot of dogs get that "burst" of energy after a walk, close to bedtime, etc. When you come home from a walk, bring her in on leash and settle her by playing some quiet mind games.

Once Murphy and I got home from running (alongside my bike) 3 miles, and he did laps around my apartment. :shock: I got so mad. :lol: That was before I knew they were just the zoomies.
OHenry

Post by OHenry »

Google "homemade dog toys" for cheap ideas to keep your pooch busy during the day. Here's one I liked. http://www.make-and-build-dog-stuff.com ... -toys.html. Most of them seem to involve some combination of socks, tennis balls, and duct tape!
Midget

Post by Midget »

Noobs wrote:Trust me, training and playing mind games will get your dog more tired than running and walking. Although you also need the physical exercise, doing training and brain games will tire her out.
I'll try..Now on top of it all she cut her leg and now has stitches. As you can understand, her wearing a cone and her leg itching, only makes the barking worse. So i received a lawsuit threatening phonecall from the landlord today...
Whatever i decide to do will take time. He wants me to give the dog away (no option for me), that would take time, he want sme to make it stop barking, that would take time. I just cant wait for the crate to come so we can start training!

Will the crate be a life saver? Does it really help on seperation anxiety? How should i train her?
I searched the forum and cant find a step to step article. Any links or advise?

Thank you so much for the help! Im desperate!

ps great ideas on the homemade toys, i'll give them a shot!
***Melissa***

Post by ***Melissa*** »

When you search for seperation anxiety, read Emmabeth's posts - they have great info.

And make sure your dog is tired (mentally & physical) - that WILL help.
There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face. ~Ben Williams
Midget

Post by Midget »

Thanks for all the advise, im trying hard to use it.
Right now i just need to get this off my chest...My landlord told me to move today. I asked him if the puppy stops barking would i have to?He said no at first , then said yes you have to move then said no again. I just cant understand some people and this particular one makes me so mad. I understand the anoyying barking and whining, but the day i brought my rescued puppy in, i asked my landlord first if i can keep her and if he is ok with it. He said yes, and his wife and son said yes too.

Last year he brought a puppy of his own and kept her in the little back space he has behind his store. I couldnt sleep for a month, but i didnt tell him anything cause i love dogs ! Of course the barking was insane but thats what loving dogs mean!Understanding them and accepting them.Right? (note: his dog got stolen and he claims heis whole family cried for 3 months..)

So now this guy wants to kick me out of the house cause of the puppy i took in with his "blessing".
Am i so wrong here? I know its his house etc etc but couldnt he just say he doesnt allow dogs? I would have found a good home for her before i developed so many feelings for her, and no "damage" would've be done.

Worst thing is that i cant focus on Ziggy as much as i want to. I live alone and i will have to go house searching and make all these arragements so Ziggy's seperation anxiety will get worse :/

I do have 1 option that i dont like much but i think it will best for Ziggy. I can send her to my brother in another city. He has a dog himself with a yard and all. Im sure though that she wouldnt want to come back to living in an apartment after that:/ Im gonna search for a house with a yard of course but dont know the possibilities of that.
If i give her away even to my brother, it will kill me. She's my family now. She's the one that waits for me to come home. But i want what is best for her too.

What would you do?
Thanks so much..Im lost..
ladybug1802

Post by ladybug1802 »

Hi....my rescue dog has separation anxiety when I got him, and what worked for him and me was building up the time I left him very very slowly. So I started by leaving the house for 10 seconds or so - literally out the door, shut it, come back in....and built it up over a couple of months to an hour. Any other time I needed to go out he either came with me or went to my parents house. It took a long time, and I didnt really have much of a social life for a couple of months, but I didnt care and it worked.

I also never left him, and still dont, without many things to occupy him - stuffed, frozen kong, treat ball etc. he is very active and has a very acttive mind - i couldnt just leave him with nothing to do and expect him to be fine.

You recognise that the tying the dog is not the best thing to do...this will probably make her feel constrained and therefore more stressed.

With regards to the crate - I dont know where you live but I got a crate a month or so ago for my boy from eBay....I paid £10 for it and it is brilliant! Best £10 I have spent! Now he loves his crate and has snoozed in it from day 1....but I didnt shut him in. I want him to see it as his safe place so he has toys in there, food in there, treats in there and a comfy duvet, and he alternates between there and his bed (the door is open all the time unless people come to the house). So yes a crate could be a very good thing for your dog, but yet again this takes time - you cant just shut the dog in when you go out.

I think 6 hours is quite a long time for such a young dog to be left alone in one go...is there anyone who could come in and take the dog for a walk and break the day up for her? Maybe a dog walker? Or is there a doggie day care place that she could go to so she has other dogs to play with and other avenues for her energy?
Midget

Post by Midget »

Hi ladybug1802!

I would love to try the slowly expand of the time i leave her alone, but i just have to go to work :/
Im trying to do this but work doesnt help. Its like leaving the lesson unfinished and when i try to pick up with it again she has already forgotten what we were doing.

I leave her with stuff to do but she gets bored easily and yes 6 hours is too long. Tying up does make her more anxious. I hate myself for listening to my friends telling me how cruel a crate would be. If i ordered the crate when i wanted too(after being convienced from you guys) we probably wouldnt be in this situation. I finally ordered a crate from ebay last week so i think it will be here by Monday. Really cant wait to start the training. Im positive on the thought she might like it cause she always goes under my bed at night etc etc.

The worst thing is that the last 2 weeks she is not getting any exercise ..1 week i was sick and now she has stitches on her paw and doctor told me not to let her run cause they might tear...I cant even let her run in the house :/ She is really having a rough time.
There is no such thing as puppy care here. I may ask a friend to take her on small walks to break the 6 hours but im not very fond of that idea. Dont like to make friends do stuff, just feel bad although id do it for a friend. Im weird, i know :D

Id love to let her roam free but she is destructive and has already placed her teeth on my new sofa. My options are limited. Right now im hoping for the crate to be accepted well. The vet told me she is a really active dog so she may even destroy the crate...He told me about some medicine like, he said its not medicine but you just give it to dogs and it calms them a little. Same thing they do with kids or something. He said if i dont see any difference with the crate we should try that.

Also if i let ehr run free im sure the barking will go down but her running on the hardwood floor would make the landlord mad again. So i ask every logic person out there: Why the h*** do you rent an apartment right over your head with a hardwood floor when you mind the noise?

Anyways, im doing my best for Ziggy and i see its not working well. I may have to take a week off my job but i cant afford that ..
Arghhhh

Thanks for the support!