Clicker training for being quiet?

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Kathleen

Clicker training for being quiet?

Post by Kathleen »

How do you click/treat for NOT barking? I have a 21-month old Sheltie. She's basically well-behaved, soft, and get's plenty of excercise and mental stimulation as I'm retired and able to spend a good amount of time walking, training and playing with her and aware that being a Sheltie, and a herding breed, she needs a lot of all of those.
I'm also aware that Shelties often bark a lot, which I understand, but am working on encouraging her to cut back on, somewhat, when inside. (Although please note that even with a fully-fenced yard, she is never outside without me, ever).
She looks out the bay window in my living room and does go pretty nuts when she see's anyone outside or a cat, much less people or kids riding by on a scooter or bicycle, and even cars passing by, so I want to encourage the times she's quiet by clicking and treating her for those quiet moments, but don't know how often to do this, what should I SAY when I do it, (like "Good Quiet" or just "Good Girl" or what?) and is that the best approach I should take??? I would much rather reward her for quiet times than crate her when she lose's it, even momentarily, but she goes so beserk, even throwing herself into the window, whenever she see's anyone or any thing move, that I don't know what is best to do. I'm afraid she's going to hurt herself, and besides I just can't have her losing her mind whenever something moves, forever! Help???
ladybug1802

Re: Clicker training for being quiet?

Post by ladybug1802 »

Hi. The experts will be able to give you some advice soon, but what I have done with Dylan is basically teach him to bark.....then I can teach him to be quiet! So when he barks I have been clicking and saying 'speak' then treating.....then when he stopped barking I clicked, did a hand signal I wanted to use for this, said 'quiet' and treated. So now (and I dont do it much I have to admit) if I say 'speak' he will bark...then I click and treat. Then I do my 'quiet' hand signal, say 'quiet', click and treat after.

Not sure if this is how others would do it, but this is what I have done....so you can ask him to bark so that he then knows what being quiet means. I think if you just click and treat for him just being quiet he may not quite know what he has been clicked for...if that makes sense?
Horace's Mum

Post by Horace's Mum »

Not an easy one, you already know sheties really aren't the quietest dogs in the world!! I too have a dog who loves to watch out of the window, but does stress out if something goes past. I initially tried to get him to remain quiet, but realised that wasn't really compatible with his ideas, so i adapted to him and compromised - he is allowed to vocally tell me there is something going on, but only once. If he persists then he is removed from the window.

The way I did this was to use a touch at the first growl or bark, to alert him to the fact I have heard and reassure him that I think the thing outside is ok. I also in the beginning always got up and looked out of the window too - that seemed to tell him I had seen the "problem" and if I walked away then he was happy it was safe. These days he will bark or growl once and then turn to look at me, asking if its ok. I usually give him the thumbs up (his good boy sign) and then he can watch in silence. If he continues then it is something unusual and I need to get up to see it too.

Admittedly if it is a cat walking past then he goes berserk and I just remove him from the window and keep him away, usually in a down stay, until it has gone - he returns to the window but when he sees it has gone he is fine.

No idea if this is helpful to you, I have a slightly twisted version of training and the world at times due to Horus' deafness, but I just came to the conclusion that the barking was one of his "jobs", and I respected that. So he is allowed to tell me what is going on outside, but only quietly and briefly. My job in return is to tell him its ok and I have heard him. It works for us!!
Sarah83

Post by Sarah83 »

I pretty much do what Horaces mum does. I let Rupert know I'm aware of what he's barking at and if he doesn't stop I remove him from the window. He only really barks at someone coming to the door now and even that stops once I'm on my way to the door.
Horace's Mum

Post by Horace's Mum »

Just realised I didn't really answer your question, which was actually about using the clicker. You have the right idea, clicking when she is quiet, but I think if you want it to be really effective you would have to prevent her from getting to the window unless you were ready to train - otherwise she will have say 10mins of excellent training in being quiet, and then 23 hours of doing what she likes!! I know you are retired but presumably you do have to eat and do other things, not just sit at the window with her and a clicker all day long! :lol:

So, I would set up training session, where you both sit and watch out of the window. When you see something she is likely to bark at/react to then you monitor her very closely and start clicking as soon as you know she has seen it but hasn't reacted yet. Keep clicking until the thing has completely passed - it is going to be quickfire to begin with, but over time you can gradually wait longer before clicking and slow the rate of click down.

Once she is happy to sit and watch, gradually start removing yourself from the situation - just step back but where you can still see. Up the rate of reward a little, and retrain back to the same point as above.

Again move a bit further away. The idea is to teach her that the quiet is needed even when you aren't next to her. If you are happy to allow her one bark, then use something like "thank you" in a bright voice and reward her, but then get going with the clicker as soon as she is quiet. I find it works quite well in these situations, combining verbal praise for something that's ok, but using the clicker for the really good stuff.

Very gradually, take yourself back to the sofa, or wherever you usually are during the day. This is where it is tricky if you want her to remain silent, because you have no way of knowing what is out there until she has barked at it, unless you manage to hear it first. If you take it slowly enough, then you will hopefully find that she doesn't much care where you are, because she has learned to be quiet. You might just need to reinforce it if you can by listening very carefully - and obviously she will have to come to you for her reward, which will help break her concentration too.

If you have decided to allow her the one bark if she is particularly keen on something, then give her a "thank you" and then call her to reward her. If she goes back after her reward then click for a few seconds to reinforce the quiet after the bark.

Eventually you should hopefully find that she sees small things and just watches, she sees big things and barks to tell you, possibly comes to you or looks over to make sure you have heard (to which you should respond with her "thank you") but then is able to sit quietly because you have taken on responsibility for whatever is outside.

I hope that makes sense, I am trying to describe what I do but using verbal commands instead of hand signs - hopefully I haven't missed out anything crucial!!
Kathleen

Post by Kathleen »

Thank you so MUCH, Horace's Mum, this is GREAT!! I couldn't figure out how to approach it on my own, and this is much more specific than just here and there when she happens to be quiet (and there is likely nothing to bark at)! I love your training advice and will absolutely try it and keep you posted. Sorry I didn't get a reply back sooner, and yes, you're right, I *do* have other things to do besides sitting and clicking! :lol: Thanks again!