6 month ultimatum - HELP!

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Craig0678

6 month ultimatum - HELP!

Post by Craig0678 »

Hi all!

I'm looking for advice to train/retrain my 5 year old Min Bin, Brinley. My fiance is fed up with his behavior and has given me 6 months to change it or she wants to find him a new home. I think under her frustration she would prefer to keep Brinley, but he has become a real challenge for us and her specifically.

A little background: Brinley is 5 years old, 6 lbs, healthy, male, un-neutered. We got him when we lived in a small-ish appartment. We tried to potty-pad train him in the beginning, but eventually went with outdoor housebreaking attempts (I believe this caused everlasting confusion for Brinley). We did the best we knew to train him using positive reinforcement, but he has never fully been house-broken. After 2 years we both moved home to our respective parents' houses to save to build a new house. Brinley spent most of his time with me, but was sometimes shared between the two homes.

After almost 2 years of this, we moved into our newly built house and had our son. Needless to say Brinley was no longer the "baby" of the family. The biggest problems (I even go as far to say ONLY problems) with Brinley are his incessant Barking and peeing/marking in the house. My fiance does work form the home 1 day a week and must speak with clients over the telephone. Unfortunately, Brinley's barking makes this impossible, so Brinley is either relegated to being tethered outside, or Tammy has to conduct her phone calls in a closet - this is not ideal. Also, Tammy keeps our son at home with her on these days and Brinley's barking will wake him up or is just a plain annoyance when she is trying to juggle work and son.

On top of this, because Brinley is so small, we have never REALLY prevented him from jumping onto furniture to lay with us. However, now we have a rather expensive leather Ottoman that he will jump on to gain access to the couch. His claws are creating scratches on the leather. He hasn't ripped it yet, but that seems only a matter of time. This CAN NOT happen!

When we have guests over, Tammy either will put Brinley outside for the duration of their stay or I will hold him as Brinley will try to climb over guests and lick their faces, and sometimes will pee on their shoes. I haven't been able to find anyone that will assist me in breaking these habits through mock-visitations.

Brinley does not like to play games, he only likes a full-size soccer ball I have in the basement. He will beg through barking and standing at the basement door to go down and have me kick it to him so he can gnaw at it and roll it around like a circus dog. I try to use this time to teach "Quiet" but if I have treats he ignores the ball, if I use the ball as motivator he doesn't actually stop barking before I kick it, he just does so quieter.

He is VERY good with our son, though I think he is jealous of our attention to our son. Even if our son takes Brinley treat-filled Kong from him, Brinley will come to us to get it back for him.

Brinley does not come when called UNLESS I have treats and there is no "funner" distraction available.

Brinley's such a cute, lovable dog, but everyone only sees a 6-lb monster. Everyone believes he's untrainable, and won't listen to my arguments that it was Tammy and my faults that he wasn't trained properly. Even Tammy thinks he can't be trained so this causes stress and arguments on us. Brinley is as much a part of my family as my son and fiance, but I don't want this to be the wedge that comes between Tammy and I. That is the point this has gotten to. Brinley loves us and I don't want to get rid of him, but Tammy has all but given up on the dog. I need to make her life with him easier, not just bearable

I realize my training has failed to this point, and I blame comittiment and consistency for this. I don't want to lose my best friend because I failed to do my job in training him. Right now he's on my lap, borrowed under my sweater, sleeping.

I've started to go back to basics: Sit, Stay, Down, etc. I bring Brinley for a 7a walk, we go to work until 4:30p during which time Brinley is contained with a gate within a small mudroom in the house - which is another argument because now we can't use the room for a proper entrance to the house as his crate and food are kept there - until we return. At 4:30p I bring Brinley for another 30 min walk. We walk again at 6:30p and 8:00p for 15 min each. The final 30 min walk is at 9:30ish in the evening. Brinley will not fully relieve himself or poop if tethered in the yard, walks are necessary to ensure he does not pee in he house when brought back in - and this s still not a guarantee. He never poops in the house unless he is sick.

I'm not sure where to go from here or if my expectations are even possible, but just wanted some advice on what to focus on, and reasonable timeframes. Brinley is a very smart dog, his main problem is lacidaisical owners.

Thanks,

Craig
Nettle

Re: 6 month ultimatum - HELP!

Post by Nettle »

A dog can be trained at any age if his owner(s) will commit. Can you? Will you? Both of you? Otherwise I'm wasting my typing :lol:

We have a pinned thread on potty-training plus numerous other threads on the subject from owners as exasperated as you - do a Search and read them. Come back with your questions.

No matter HOW you both arrange this - your child must never again be in a position to take the dog's kong or other food. EVER. Nor must any other children. This is how kids get bitten. Your dog has been good so far - don't push your luck.

Great that Brinley has some walks to enjoy. Now look at our pinned thread on Exercising the Mind. A dog needs to be physically and mentally exercised. Such dogs are much better behaved :wink: we know you can do it.

With furniture etc - well, who bought the expensive easily-damaged Ottoman? :? After letting the dog up on the furniture whenever he wanted to be there? That is setting you all up for failure. You have some work to do here.

It IS possible to retrain a dog to stay off furniture but you can't train a dog if you aren't there, so he needs to have a physical barrier between himself and the ottoman when nobody is there. He also needs a really comfy place to be as an alternative. Find him one.

That's enough from me this time - others will be along shortly - meantime you take some commitment pills. This ultimatum is nonsense - the dog won't train himself. But if you BOTH commit - he will be the dog you want in as long as it takes.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

This is your fiance's fault as much as yours, she is being very unfair pushing this onto you, it is up to her to do everything she can for Brinley. Giving you this ultimatum is cruel, my late husband done it to me and I just said goodbye, he didn't go but started to work with the dog instead. Nobody should put another person in this position especially when half the blame is their's.

I agree with everything Nettle has said, you need the commitment of everyone to turn Brinley round and you BOTH owe it to him to commit to this.
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

Craig0678 wrote: Brinley's such a cute, lovable dog, but everyone only sees a 6-lb monster. Everyone believes he's untrainable, and won't listen to my arguments that it was Tammy and my faults that he wasn't trained properly.
He isn't untrainable. you already know part of why he is the way he is. the other part is habits/routines. he has been "taught" that not coming is ok, not listening is ok, and pottying outside is optional. ALL FIXABLE. BUT it will take time.
Craig0678 wrote: I'm not sure where to go from here or if my expectations are even possible, but just wanted some advice on what to focus on, and reasonable timeframes. Brinley is a very smart dog, his main problem is lacidaisical owners.
No, 6 month do or die isn't reasonable. until you learn to train your dog, and until you see the training start to work, you have no idea how long this will take. it could take 1 month or it could take 1 year. each dog works at their own pace which is to a point influenced by the time and consistency we humans put into the training.

You and Tammy have to agree on course of action, new house rule and apply them as close to identical as possible. soon as you see Brinley show improvement, don't back off. stay consistent. it takes about 5 weeks to build a new habit, and in that time dogs often take a "step backwards" to test you to see if the new rules really are truly the new rules. If/when this happens don't become harsh with your dog, just stay consistent with the way things are moving forward.

Two threads to help you get started

How to teach a good recall
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=7155

How to potty train
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=6125

Two books I highly recommend you pickup. If you only have time for one, get the family friendly dog training book. it will teach you to how to train using positive reinforcement, some basic training behaviors, and is designed as a 6 week program. Which isn't to say all your issues will be resolved in 6 weeks. However, it will help you get a good start and lay some solid groundwork and you will see a difference in your dog.
http://www.patriciamcconnell.com/produc ... ining-book

The second book is really good for gaining a better understanding of dog/human "communication". which is often the source of many issues. dogs are just being dogs and humans just being humans. your talking German, your dog is talking Chines. unless someone translates you don't know what the other is saying. starting to understand your dog's communication to you helps make your job of teaching him to live in the human world much, much easier.

http://www.patriciamcconnell.com/produc ... h-your-dog

Victoria also has a book I hear good things about. I have yet to read it all the way through, so I will let others comment if your interested in her book.

my 2 cents where to start.

potty training take it from the beginning. read the thread, and just treat this like a dog who needs to be potty trained for the first time.

Next, start working some basic behavioral skills (sit, stay, come, wait, etc) IF using the common words for these do not work any longer because of the past, then it is best to pick new words. we use sit, stay come because they mean something to us and because of that are easy to remember. your dog doesn't care what the word is because until you teach him for example Apple really means butt on the ground, he hasn't a clue what apple means. So, consider assigning new words to the "obedience" commands and starting over from scratch. just make sure they are easy to use and remember.

If your not sure how to teach "sit" for example, check out this tread on clicker training. viewtopic.php?f=20&t=513
even if you chose not to use a clicker, the basic steps are how you train a dog to do something clicker or no clicker.

for things you don't want him to do, like get on the super expensive couch, give him something to do or place to go instead. Don't just say no. It is always easier to correct something when you teach or provide an alternative to what you don't want.

And lastly, keep asking questions here. you have stumbled onto an amazing resource. If you commit to your dog and make an effort, and it sounds like this is what you want to do, you will be amazed at the help you will find here and the patience with all kinds of questions no matter how "silly" sounding or "embarrassing" they may seem to you.
SplendidLemon

Post by SplendidLemon »

In the meantime.... on the days your fiance has to work from home maybe you could take Brinley to a Doggie Day Care. I take my little guy to a really great Doggie Day Care place by me. It's $20 a day well worth it! He's generally very well behaved, but I am a college student and work part time and sometimes I just don't have the time to take him for a walk or toss around a tennis ball. If I need to study for finals or finish a big project I take him to Doggie Day Care and he comes home EXHAUSTED. He loves it so much, when I pull in the parking lot he can hardly contain himself :D

Maybe a break from the barking and an exhausted happy dog at the end of the day will ease some of her frustration. I hope you are able to work things out! Best of Luck :)
ckranz

Post by ckranz »

Being someone who works from home having phone conferences I can certainly understand the annoyance of barking dogs and having to retreat to a quiet place...in my case it was the garage.

What has worked for me was to either provide my trio and nice log activity like a well stuffed kong, or provide long lasting chews like bully sticks. During work hours also also always have treats on hand to continually reward the quiet. Initially treats were frequent, but as time pressed on treat have become less frequent and very intermittent.

It will also help to have a phone which can be muted at times when talking is not necessary...it give an opportunity to praise your dog for being good without alerting other participants in the conversation.

While I really detest ultimatums as being unfair, I do believe setting timely goals and taking time to evaluate progress. This allows adjustment of training plans to move towards a desired goal as needed.

When you have guests over keep him on leash and train for polite greetings. Do not allow bad greeting behaviors by not giving him the opportunity to misbehave.

With the furniture, I would work on an "off" command meaning get off the furniture. Do not use down and this may cause confusion between lay down and get down...dogs do not get such subtle contexts. Ensure that being off the furniture is more rewarding than being on the furniture. Keep his nail trimmed regularly to prevent damage to your ottoman or consider using a blanket to cover it for protection while developing your off command and making his pillow the spot to be.

It will take a commitment from both of you to work a plan to meet your goals. As far as the potty training. check out the other threads on the forum, they are very insightful and always rule out medical issues first.

You have been recommended 2 very good books and in fact I would recommend anything from Patricia McConnell.
tinytwo

Post by tinytwo »

Even though I also feel the ultimatum is unfair, the one I really feel sorry for is your dog. He has been allowed to behave badly, in fact, you've taught him it's ok to behave the way he is by not fixing it before now. It's not his fault.

You say you think under the ultimatum you think Tammy wants to be able to keep the dog, but it doesn't read that way to me. For example: keeping your dog confined in the mudroom, with a gate. That's a great idea, and a good place for him, so that he is kept away from the expensive ottoman, and he is in a place that can easily be cleaned when he has accidents. But, instead of accepting that the mudroom is the best place, and a good place for the dog, it causes arguments because you can't use the mudroom as an entrance. Big deal. Use another entrance. It's what's best and smartest for all concerned for your dog to be there. So, it sounds like someone is picking an argument.

The reason I bring it up, is because if Tammy doesn't really think retraining is possible, and isn't commited to it, then all your hard work training him will never really be enough for her.

Ok, enough negative! You can do this, if you are both commited and consistent!

-potty train from basics, as if he was a new puppy. SUPERVISE all the time, or crate him when you can't watch him like a hawk.
-you don't mention what he barks at when Tammy is working from home. We could give you more specific advice if we knew what made him bark.
-if you can't find any volunteer "visitors" maybe you can pay a neighborhood kid or niece or nephew a few bucks to help.

Right now it seems like you are both avoiding problems, you put him out instead of deal with his behavior around visitors, you put him out when he barks, etc. Read the recommended threads and books! Everyone here will do all they can to help! :)
Craig0678

Post by Craig0678 »

I want to thank everyone SO MUCH! Your comments and advice give me a great place to re-start my training efforts with Brinley. I agree with everyone who said it is not the dog's fault, but the owners'. It is our fault for not training him properly sooner - although this isn't accepted by anyone else that knows Brinley.

I will check out the other threads. If necessary, I will take a look through the books recommended as well. I really believe Brinley can learn very quickly, but it's my commitment that needs to improve. It's also a hard-sell to get Tammy on-board with consistent training as she really is fed up his perceived misbehavior. Any advice how to make sure she understands that the time I spend training brinley and any correction I make to her when she scolds him is not taken as me choosing the dog over her. I fear this perception will make her resent Brinley whether he becomes well trained or not. Anyone been through this?

I really want to work hard to keep my dog and really want others to love him as much as I do, or at least like him enough to not want to get away from him.

Thanks everyone.

Craig.
runlikethewind

Post by runlikethewind »

Yes I've been through exactly that. I think if you have an understanding partner, they will want to try it 'your way' and take on the advice and suggestions you are saying. If you explain to your partner how it's going to be from now on and what she needs to do, so that you are both consistent, it'll be fine.
Olivers mama

Post by Olivers mama »

Craig,

I can't add a single thing, because I'm a Newbie, too. I've been lurking here for a couple of months & these people are more than willing to share their knowledge & experience! PLUS - your questions & their answers are also helping me - so THANK YOU!

Re: the suggested books: I've read Victoria's book & found it quite helpful. I will buy the 2 McConnell books today, but I've read her "Leader of the Pack" book & 1 by Jean Donaldson "The Culture Clash". Our girl is a 1 1/2 yr old German Shepherd Rescue, so I've also read 2 different books specific to training our breed. You don't have to agree with any of the writers, but the background you get is invaluable!

Hubby & I tried 2 different Board & Train places with disastrous results. (He's also read the books I mentioned). We haven't introduced the clicker yet, but would like to eventually...it's great for an out-of-focus dog. :D

But you & Tammy absolutely HAVE to be on the same page over training & the dog in general. I'm lucky, as both hubby & I are woring together to make Ziva's training work. I'm up at 4am for work & I set aside the 6:00 hour to watch Victoria's show - it has given us both treMENdous direction & besides --- HER WAYS WORK!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Be calm. Be consistent. If it can work for us & our "wild child", it can work for you guys, too! And while it's still a work in progress that takes a bit of time, the end result is simply AMAZING!

Becky

BTW - jacksdad - THANK YOU, too, for your helpful suggestions. You gave me a roadmap around this site to address exactly the issues we have. :!:
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

Craig0678 wrote: It's also a hard-sell to get Tammy on-board with consistent training as she really is fed up his perceived misbehavior. Any advice how to make sure she understands that the time I spend training brinley and any correction I make to her when she scolds him is not taken as me choosing the dog over her. I fear this perception will make her resent Brinley whether he becomes well trained or not. Anyone been through this?
Ya, this is a hard one. My Wife and I are not always on the same page either sometimes when it comes to Jack. I am not even sure where to being to help you. Others around here are better at this issue than me. But she needs to understand there are constructive ways to address your dogs issue and if your trying to implement them or show them to her, your not choosing the dog over her.

you can try asking her to read "other end of the leash" by Patricia McConnell. I think it will help her gain an understanding of what is going on in your dog's head and why there is human/dog "conflict". It might be asking a lot, but one of the reasons I like recommending this book is it's easy to read, understand and entertaining.

you can also ask her to spend a little time here, promise to go easy one her :wink: if she asks any questions.

lastly you can try maybe catching episodes of It's me or the dog and asking her to watch with you so she can see things can be addressed successfully.

And if it helps, let her know many of us here are first time dog owners and if we can solve some difficult problems with the support and resources shared on this forum, you both can help your dog too.

Olivers mama wrote: BTW - jacksdad - THANK YOU, too, for your helpful suggestions. You gave me a roadmap around this site to address exactly the issues we have. :!:
Glad I could have helped. let use know how things go.
Craig0678

Post by Craig0678 »

Hi everyone,

Thanks again for all the support and advice, I really need it. It's been 3 months now on the road to training and I am very frustrated that we have not made much progress. In fact it seems to both of us that Brinley is actually getting WORSE :( if that is possible.

As of Christmas day, I have started using a clicker and went right back to the beginning with training. Assuming Brinley does not know any commands, nor what to do with Potty issues. I could use some help in "fast-tracking" this if possible, since I have now gone back to square one but still have a deadline of April. I am quite sure if observable progress is made, we might be able to move or eliminate the deadline but I did give my word that I would solve this problem or find Brinley a family who can/will. I know the ultimatum and timeframe may not be fair to the dog, I know his "mis"behavior is my/our fault, but I'm looking for suggestions on how to improve my training methods, not rebukes or reprimands.

This website has been a great source of advice, so I hope you guys can help me improve my training methods to help Brinley succeed in proving how smart he is. This is all about "training the trainer".

Main problems: Barking and Peeing inside

So my typical day looks like this:

6a - Wake up, 20 min walk for Brinley to pee
6:30 - Feed Brinley in his "room" - Brinley barks non-stop until I'm out of shower (waking up Tammy and son)
6:45 - let Brinley out, get dressed for work & have breakfast
7:15 - Walk Brinley
7:30 Brinley Back in "room", given Kong with treats to keep him quiet
7:30 - 8:30 Brinley barks non-stop while Tammy gets ready for work and dresses our son to take to sitter's
8:30 - 4:00 Brinley left alone in his room with food, water, toys, blanket, crate
4:00ish (as soon as I walk in door) Walk Brinley to exercise/pee
4:30 basement to let Brinley paly with soccer ball (THIS IS THE ONLY "TOY" Brinley HAS EVER SHOWN INTEREST IN. EVER. it's like his own personal crack/drug) and train: QUIET, SIT, COME
4:50 cook diner, eat, spend time with family
6:30 walk/outside to let Brinley pee
6:45 Downstairs with Brinly to play/train
8:30 walk/outside to let Brinley pee
10ish Last walk/pee for Brinley

ongoing problems: Brinley barks incessantly, whethher in crate, room, or out free. He will not stop barking on command yet. Tammy is at wit's end, and I get angry at him to avoid her losing her mind. I can't blame her: everyone has a breaking point.

Brinley still pees inside whether walked or not. Every corner in my home, every base board, and every carpet has been and continues to be peed on. I wash the pee spots whenever I catch him, AFTER I take him outside to "finish". We are always finding more pee in the same areas. I have used: soap/water, vinegar, Nature's Miracle. What can I do to stop this. He is ruining our BRAND NEW HOME. It is not feasible to replace all our carpets, some will be as we will be tiling/hard-wooding our downstair, but will not hardwood until he is gone or trained.

Each time I take him downstairs or outside to play, I "flick" a spring we have at the base of all our doors to prevent them hitting the baseboards. Brinley has learned that if he flicks the respective spring, I will take him downstairs. He does not use the same technique at the front door for peeing. It could be that it is winter here and he just doesnt want to go out in the cold (I do put a coat on him when we go out).

Unfortunately, leaving him alone all day is our only option. I can't pay $20 for Doggy Day Care, and no one I know is willing to watch him because of the peeing/barking problems. I'm off this weekend and want to start putting new/better habits in place to help ensure success as quickly as possible (even if that pushes us beyond April).

I could really use your help.

Some additional points: Brinley sleeps in bed with us (bad I know, but he barks through night now when I try to change this) so Tammy and are are in seperate rooms because Brinley wakes her up every night, and she can not get back to sleep easily if at all. During the night he burrows in and out of the blankets, jumps off the bed and itches himself. WHen he itches himself, his foot ponds on the floor making a loud constant banging sound. Vet has said, no fleas, no allergies, no UTI or other ailment. He's scratched himself so bad at times, he's bled,. Currently his eye is all scratched up and looks painful. Vet suggests possible dry skin - no solution except liquid pills Brinley won't eat as they have to be taken whole.

I'm starting to freak out as I am afraid I have and will continue to fail Brinley. I don't want to him to be punished for my piss poor training attempts, but I don't want this to ruin my relationship either. Please help witht eh barking and peeing problems! Everything else can be taken care of later if these two (and their root issues) are improved sooner.
runlikethewind

Post by runlikethewind »

Hi welcome back..

I've tallied up the time Brinley spends with you - 35 mins in the morning and 1 hour and 15 mins (approx) in the evening with all day alone. So what do you think trainers - is this enough?

Did you follow the potty training article to the T - did you go out with him as advised and treat him each time outside and or have a jolly game as a reward?

On the scratching.. I have much advice to give you on this - having had the same problem being kept awake. A dog has dry skin for a reason... the vet has not given you an explanation as to WHY this is so.. Diet, allergy, intolerance related? You probably ought to post on the health board on this topic but have a look over there: If you dog won't take a capsule, then try a oil pump - omega 3 and 6 balanced oil like Yumega or Viacutan or something similar you have in US. Grizzly Salmon oil? Do you feed kibble, wet or raw? Use up the capsules by smearing some sugar free peanut butter on each one.
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

The total amount of time Brinley actually spends with someone doing something other than sleeping is not sufficient. He has learned that shouting himself hoarse will bring some form of response even if it is just an angry shout.

Shutting him away in his room alone is not going to help, and I would think it is making the situation worse - could he be crated in a room people are in, ditto crate him at night beside your bed so he isnt leaping about all night. I would alsoa ddress any dry skin issues he could have (first stop, remove grain based foods!).

It IS perfectly understandable that these problems frustrate you and your wife, but - without her help you won't fix the problems. There really isn't any way around that - if she refuses to assist, in having Brinley in theroom with her during the day when she is home and taking him out to potty and following the same training methods you do, then it aint gonna happen.

The floor smelling of pee will be attracting him back to those spots over and over again - I would say any areas you were planning on tiling, do those now. Hardwood I would wait if possible unless that is actually waterproof/water resistant as obviuosly you do not want any future accidents to damage it, if it IS waterproof, do that too. Saying 'we wont do it until he is cured' means ... you wont be doing it for a long time or you'll be rehoming him so you can remodel your house.
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
ckranz

Post by ckranz »

House training for some dogs can be a real chore. The biggest problem I see here though in your schedule is Brinely has too much free time and and access to locations she can go whizz and not be noticed until well after the fact.

Some of the basics I have used successfully:

Limit Brinley access through the home either with xPens or shut doors to locations in the home where relieving herself will not permanently damage flooring, furniture or walls.

Along with the walks, Brinely must always be on tethered to you or someone else who can watch her and at the first signs of sniffing, take her outside. If she goes reward her with treats and praise. Giver her about 5 minutes to try and go. When you cannot have her tethered she is in the enclosed area and you accept cleaning whatever you may find there. (No muss no fuss) This is about you and yours learning to watch Brinely for her signs that she needs to go. If you miss them you accept responsibility for the cleanup.

For outside you can take some of the spent cleaning rags and place them in a location you want her to pee and this should attract her to that area.

Barking while working at home:
There are certain things my dogs will bark at: mailman, dogs being walked, people coming into the yard after school. I schedule all conference related work around the times when these are most likely to occur and my phone has the ability to mute.

I have a big bowl that I put treats in next to me as I start work related phone conferences and live meetings. I am on mute unless I need to speak. I regularly reward all my dogs (3 of them) for sitting or laying on their respective pillows which are in perfect tossing range from my work chair. ( I am up to intermittent rewards about every 10 minutes).

When I started that was their meals and I was treating them often enough they had no time to bark between treats. Over time I was able to space out the treats as they started learning that sitting/laying quietly made treats fall from the sky.

For his skin issues...It sounds like he has an allergy: this could be either food based or environmental including fleas. While he may not have fleas fea bites for some dogs can cause severe itching for several weeks. The most common food based allergins for dogs are wheat and corn. If your dog food contains either I would switch to a food with limited ingredients to better control what he is taking in to identify food allergins. Both Wellness and Natural Balance make excellent ingredient limited dog foods.

For environmental items: Examine all your cleaners, any fertilizer or chemical used in your backyard wherever your dog spends time. (Laundry detergent also as I know I run my dogs bedding covers through the laundry). Keep track of what you use and when and when Brinely shows itching and scratching to help narrow down any environmental issues. Your vet may also be able to do something like a scratch test to also help identify specific allergins and prescribe meds to help relieve the itch.

Over grooming can also lead to problems...How often to you shampoo Brinley and what type of shampoo is used? I would recommend and oatmeal based formula which s good for the skin especially if it is dry.