Help with dogs off lead!

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

maddieh

Help with dogs off lead!

Post by maddieh »

We have a 2yr old curly coated retriever who is very good on lead but sometimes fails to come back when he sees another dog if he's off lead. Does anybody have any tips on how we can train him to come back quicker and not ignore us when he sees something he wants?
Thanks!! :)
runlikethewind

Re: Help with dogs off lead!

Post by runlikethewind »

The experts will be here to help you but in a nutshell, you have to make yourself more exciting and interesting than what he wants to go and see. So you have to act a bit silly maybe and dance about, have fun.. or pretend you are looking at something really interesting on the floor etc etc and always reward when he comes back at this stage.

You can do a long line exercise which stops him from going off to have fun in the fist place and you call him the moment you see him getting excited but I'm not au fait with this method so not best placed to advise!
Last edited by runlikethewind on Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
***Melissa***

Post by ***Melissa*** »

Here is an excellent thread on recall:

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=7155
There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face. ~Ben Williams
maddieh

Post by maddieh »

Thank you!
I found the link and your tips v. useful and will try them out with my dogs!
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

Thanks Melissa, I couldn't remember where that post was, I am sure I didn't put it there :lol: Looks like Emmabeth is confusing me again. :shock:
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]