Pit Bull friendly but very dog aggressive & has shoe issues

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

thepetmom

Pit Bull friendly but very dog aggressive & has shoe issues

Post by thepetmom »

I am a pet sitter/dog walker and a new client which is a pet bull is very dog aggressive especially with small dogs simply wants to attack the dog(s). How should I handle her and distract her when this happens. Also, she will go after your feet when you where shoes that have rubber in them, i.e. tennis shoes, flip flop, etc. Please suggest.

Oh, I should also mention that this dog had been on another well know show/dog trainer which is totally opposite of Victoria's Positively. Please advise. I made it through the first sitting assignment but would like advice for the next.
emmabeth

Re: Pit Bull friendly but very dog aggressive & has shoe issues

Post by emmabeth »

Avoid. Manage. Distract. Counter Condition...

Soo - forget doing a set route for t his dogs walks - avoid other dogs, when you see them, turn around, hide behind parked cars, cross the street - and do it in a calm happy manner.

Manage - keep other dogs away from this dog, by the above, and by assertively asking people not to approach.

Distract - anything that breaks the dogs concentration from 'omg theres another dog', without being scary or a portent of punishment - say you are walking along and another dog appears, a high pitched 'Ooopsie' a nd about turn and give the dog a reward, offer a game with a ragger toy or a lick of some cheese spread or ... whatever...

And that blends in nicely to counter-condition - pair the sight of other dogs, at a distance sufficient that the dog does NOT freak out, with fun pleasant rewards and no pressure, no fear.

This is the theory and it does work - however if the owner is going to carry on using the 'other' methods here - you are going to struggle, at BEST you may achieve the dog being calmer and happier with you, you certainly wont achieve the dog being calmer and non reactive with the owner IF they carry on following that certain trainers methods.
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
Mattie

Re: Pit Bull friendly but very dog aggressive & has shoe issues

Post by Mattie »

This is a really good oportunity to show that positive training works better, if this dog does respond to your training by staying calm and not with his owner, it will prove just how good this is and hopefully the owner will change to positive training instead.

This dog will also teach you a lot more than another dog, the experience you gain will help dogs in the future especially if the dog changes for you. You will feel overwhelmed with him at times, sound off to us anytime it will help, and we will help as much as we can.
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]