Exercise Advice

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Esprit64

Re: Exercise Advice

Post by Esprit64 »

Dear Horace's Mom: Your idea on a quiet time/place also makes sense. As I think back on my training, my dog seems more successful for those cues starting from a specific place. Since she also has impulse control problems, her focus on what she wants to do is sometimes so intense, she just loses everything she's been taught. For example, when she tires from chasing her toys, she'll lay down. But even as she's huffing and puffing laying down, I can see how desperate she is to still keep chasing. I'm going to set-up certain spots for certain cues and training. Thanks for this suggestion.
Wicket

Re: Exercise Advice

Post by Wicket »

Espirit,
I have had great success with tug as a calming game for my dogs. My Poodle used get riled up during tug/fetch games so when I started this game with her, I used a toy she didn't have a lot of experience with: a nylabone that was kinda shaped like a dumb bell. When we played with the nylabone, I practiced "drop/get it" and then gradually brought in her higher valued toys (rope bone, squeeky) as she demonstrated reliability. Since you're teaching her a new game and cues, it will be plenty of mental exercise for her too. :)