Squirrels!!!

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

kralicki

Squirrels!!!

Post by kralicki »

Your advice is always great. I hope you can help with this one...
I have a large picture window and several acres that are crawling with squirrels. My boys spend most of the day staring out the window, whining and crying. Covering the window has not helped. I cannot believe their hearing is that good but it must be.
When I try to take them out to walk or potty they will sit and make eye contact but as soon as the door opens...they are off! They run through my yard and the neighbors full out. Although they will return when I call them, they will not stop on the initial run.
I let them out off leash because a few weeks ago, they dragged me on the ground by my hands breaking my hand and several fingers, ( I had the leashes wrapped aound each hand...so stupid!) and I also fear they will become tangled or caught.
Taking them out alone helps but is not much better. They are big and fast and honestly, since the accident I am a bit afraid. (I am still in casts and splints)
How do I control this?
We are in the process of building a dog run attached to the house with a doggie door but in the meantime they are making me batty. I also worry for them because they are constantly in a state.
Thanks.
DinosaurHolly

Re: Squirrels!!!

Post by DinosaurHolly »

When you open the door to let them out, close it immediately if they don't stay sitting. Get them sitting, then open it again (probably only part way :)), and close it if they move. They''ll learn quickly that they only get to go out when you release them from their sit. This way, they start calm, though the allure of squirrels may be too much to keep them that way.

Do you walk them with their leash attached to their collar, or do you have a harness? Get a no-pull harness, and that should help keep you on your feet. If they start pulling, either stop, or turn in the other direction. This might best be done one dog at a time.

How often do they get out of the yard on a walk?
kralicki

Post by kralicki »

I have a harness for one that I only use when we go on proper walks. When they are in the yard they are usually off leash. That particular day I was getting them used to being on a leash for the dogsitter.
I let them out often. I would say every two hours or so and we spend a lot of time exploring the yard and playing catch especially now that I cannot drive to take them anywhere interesting. Can some of their behavior be boredom? They do get a lot of exercise, both mental and physcal...or so I thought.
They are, in all cases but this one, very well mannered. They know all their commands.
I will try your suggestion next time we go out.
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

Yep, mine have discovered the great fascination with "hunting" squirrels as well. And we have to cover the windows too. For going out, since our yard is not fully fenced, we have two sets of 50 ft. lines, one pair in front, anchored to the front porch swing, and the other pair in the backyard, tied to the cellar door. Each 50 ft. line has one of those leash clips on it. The leads extend all the way up to, and even through the screen doors. So when I want to go out with them into the yard, I can make them wait inside while I step out to get the clips. I then attach the long lines to their collars while we are still inside the house, then once securely attached, I let them out. This also then frees me up to step back inside briefly to grab my drink and maybe a book or a magazine. Then I can sit outside with them for hours, while they "hunt" squirrels perfectly safely, and I keep all of my limbs attached to my body. 8)
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
leslie123

Post by leslie123 »

Fundog wrote:Yep, mine have discovered the great fascination with "hunting" squirrels as well. And we have to cover the windows too. For going out, since our yard is not fully fenced, we have two sets of 50 ft. lines, one pair in front, anchored to the front porch swing, and the other pair in the backyard, tied to the cellar door. Each 50 ft. line has one of those leash clips on it. The leads extend all the way up to, and even through the screen doors. So when I want to go out with them into the yard, I can make them wait inside while I step out to get the clips. I then attach the long lines to their collars while we are still inside the house, then once securely attached, I let them out. This also then frees me up to step back inside briefly to grab my drink and maybe a book or a magazine. Then I can sit outside with them for hours, while they "hunt" squirrels perfectly safely, and I keep all of my limbs attached to my body. 8)
Do you have a lot of trees, and do they get tangled up very often? So far we've only used a 20ft lead with Sulley when we're out in back grilling or something. Its *still* so stinkin hot here we don't stay out during the day for very long. But we're hopeful fall might arrive at some point and a longer line for him would be nice, I just picture him getting wrapped around every tree in sight! :lol:
kralicki

Post by kralicki »

The lines sound like a great idea!
We live along a canal and river; the only trees are when they get close to the water (so happy they are afraid of water!) so if I don't let them go that far I won't worry about them getting caught in the brush/trees. I am still not sure how to set it up so they don't become tangled together. And what kind of line to you use? I may need something that they cannot chew through...My guys don't normally chew but they will help each other escape if they are tied up.
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

Where I used to live, we had a lot of rocks, brush, cactus, and all kinds of things to get caught on, so it was impossible to use a long line when out hiking-- unless I went to the city park in the middle of the night! (Mr. Policeman was good about making his rounds, to see I didn't get mugged).

Now, we've moved to a more agricultural area, and we have a much larger yard, both front and back. We do have some trees, but they are either in the neighbor's yards, or on the edges of the property, so getting wrapped around is not much of a problem-- and anyway, that's one of the reasons we don't leave them out there without supervision. :wink:

As for the lines themselves: The lines in the front yard are 1/4" nylon rope. We also live right on a very busy arterial road, so it is vital that the girls cannot reach further than the very edge of the lawn. In the backyard, I just got some nylon clothes line (it was less expensive than the thicker rope, and is plenty sufficient for my two). As for the two lines becoming entwined, it does happen, but it really is not so bad as to restrict the dogs' range. Sometimes, if it does get too tangled up, it is very simple to sort out, but this very seldom is a problem. A lot of times, one of the lines will cross under another dog's feet, but no one has been injured-- they just learn to be nimble and jump rope. :lol:

It really has been working out very well. In fact, as I type this, I am currently in the backyard with my girls, while the Red Squirrel taunts them with frequent appearances over the fence! I'm sitting in a camp chair, with my laptop plugged into an outlet on the shed wall, and a cup of coffee on the side board of the grill. :D

In addition, Mr. Fundog is still recovering from a major spinal surgery, and is unable to walk the dogs, let alone work. On top of that, he is rather ill with a nasty cold and fever. Yesterday, while I was working all day, he sat outside with the girls for several hours-- two in back, and two in front-- and read while the squirrels teased the dogs.

By the way, fall has already arrived here in Idaho, and the weather is delightful! You should come up for a visit! 8)
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
kralicki

Post by kralicki »

My guys are now so conditioned to run to one corner of the yard that they both ran right past 2 squirrels and a crow! They are too funny.
Showed my husband the post where you explained the lines and he will work on it over the weekend. Thanks again!
Hope all is well with your husband. It must be beautiful there!
leslie123

Post by leslie123 »

Fundog wrote: In addition, Mr. Fundog is still recovering from a major spinal surgery, and is unable to walk the dogs, let alone work. On top of that, he is rather ill with a nasty cold and fever. Yesterday, while I was working all day, he sat outside with the girls for several hours-- two in back, and two in front-- and read while the squirrels teased the dogs.
I hope he has a very quick recovery!!
Fundog wrote: It really has been working out very well. In fact, as I type this, I am currently in the backyard with my girls, while the Red Squirrel taunts them with frequent appearances over the fence! I'm sitting in a camp chair, with my laptop plugged into an outlet on the shed wall, and a cup of coffee on the side board of the grill. :D

By the way, fall has already arrived here in Idaho, and the weather is delightful! You should come up for a visit! 8)
That sounds wonderful!! I am going to set up a line in the front yard, we have less trees and we're supposed to be highs in the 80's so it should be nice for sitting out, especially in the mornings. I'm so jealous, I love fall and sometimes here in Georgia it feels like it will never come.