I have A Training ? About How Can I Off Leash

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Christie

I have A Training ? About How Can I Off Leash

Post by Christie »

What Are signs to watch for as far as training my dogs off leash I am having a issue on that because I do am from a big family and not all of my siblings live here as well as my Nieces and nephews but at the same time you never know when they will come in the front door for example because of the food issue I just happened to have the baby gate up and Dutchie on her leash luckily when he was tall enough to step over the baby gate buy that time Betsy was still in the crate eating and Dutchie was through so I had my Great-nephew to put Dutchie out in the yard before he took the gate down do my father could go out to check the air conditioner to their Car so How do I know when they are ready to be trained off Leash?
tinytwo

Re: I have A Training ? About How Can I Off Leash

Post by tinytwo »

I don't think I'd go with the off leash yet. It sounds as if you have a lot of activity at your house, with lots of people coming and going. I would be afraid that someone would let my pups sneak out without me seeing it, and if you don't have a perfect recall, then you could have big problems. Recall being that your dog comes immediately every time you say "come".
Christie

Post by Christie »

tinytwo wrote:I don't think I'd go with the off leash yet. It sounds as if you have a lot of activity at your house, with lots of people coming and going. I would be afraid that someone would let my pups sneak out without me seeing it, and if you don't have a perfect recall, then you could have big problems. Recall being that your dog comes immediately every time you say "come".
I agree
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

even with a pretty solid recall, there will always be something more interesting than you, so you need to be mindful of when and where you let your dog off leash and what possible threats are around. Cars, trucks, people on bikes, skate boards, other dogs etc.
Christie

Post by Christie »

jacksdad wrote:even with a pretty solid recall, there will always be something more interesting than you, so you need to be mindful of when and where you let your dog off leash and what possible threats are around. Cars, trucks, people on bikes, skate boards, other dogs etc.
So far none of it has been out side for that very reason it was done in the house most of the time.